Author Topic: John Tombs - dead end!  (Read 9366 times)

Offline HHorton

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Tombs - dead end!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 September 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie - I am a direct descendant of John Tombs ... (I'm Henry Edward Tombs Horton).  I have a bag which belonged to Mary Tombs Engall (my great grandmother) which contains her family tree back to John.  Oddly enough above John's name are notes of forebears with a gap of 405 years unaccounted for!

Let me know if you'd like to see the documents that I have

... I've just dug a little deeper in to the bag... and have found another tree - It does show John Tombs' father... the writing isn't too clear - but it looks like Giles Tombs of Stratton, Glos...here's a link to his will - which makes mention of his son John:

http://strattongloucestershirepasthistory.com/category/introduction/the-separation-of-the-parish/

Mary was v interested in her pedigree... one of her cousins - R C Tombs wrote a few articles which were published in 1909 entitled 'The Tombs' of the Cotswolds'... which I have in my hands!... There is also a lengthy document which claims to give certainty that Giles Tombs of Stratton was the father of John Tombs (who settled in Turkdean & married Sarah Miller in 1716).

John actually died in 1746, he left no will... and it wasn't until 1755 that his eldest son Robert obtained the power to administrate his deceased estate.

...For any of you reading this who are related to the same Tombs family - you might like to google Mary's son - my grandfather - "R T Horton Brooklands"... In his early years, Ronnie Tombs Horton was a notable racing driver...

Henry 

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 September 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Henry - I haven't looked at the Tombs for a while but was encouraged to take another look after reading your post.  It isn't the will of John Tombs that I have it is a copy of the administration documents that you mention, a basic mistake on my part!

I would be interested in seeing the documents that you hold though please.

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 September 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
I have sent a pm with my email address Henry.
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline Jimhmj

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 October 22 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi H Horton and Maggie,

I am researching a property in Gloucestershire based in the village of Poulton near Cirencester.   I believe the property would have been owned by Tombs family from 1845 and till the 1890s.

I am not sure if these are the same tombs your talking about  However I would appreciate any help you information can give me.  I have also acquired some information on the Tombs which you might like to see if it turns out we are talking about the same Tombs.

I have tried to send you both a private message however I do not know how to do that.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 October 22 22:07 GMT (UK) »
There were Tomes/Toms/Tombes in Upper Slaughter/Bourton on Water/Sherbourne/Longborough back in 1600. Bartholomew & Giles were popular Toms forenames then.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 10:19 GMT (UK) »
?

Gloucester Journal Saturday 22 August 1857

Cirencester

FEARFUL THUNDERSTORMS - On Thurday and Friday week the country round Cirencester was visited by severe thunderstorms.  The storm on Friday afternoon was especially disastrous in its effects, and general damage was done at Driffield, Eastongton, Ashron, POULTON and places adjacents.   etc etc

(it continues later on in this long article)

At Poulton the storm was very severe, and during its violence  the electric fluid struck a labouring mand down no serious injury.  MR TOMBS OF POULTON PLACE, suffered from the storm.

etc.

---

Gloucester Journal 1 September 1849

An Advert for

POULTON PLACE, POULTON, WILTS
Six Miles from Cirencester and two miles from Fairford

Extensive SALE OF SHEEP, HORES, PIGS, Implements about One Thousand Tods of WOOL, &c

C. F. MOORE

Has the honour to announce that the Executors of the late John TOMBS, Esq of Poulton Place, have directed him TO SELL BY AUCTION - Upon the Premises, on Thursday the 20th September 1849

The valuable FLOCK of 400 SHEEP, 42 HEAD OF CATTLE, Teams of powerful and sound and active HORSES, superior Breed of Berkshire PIGS, Implements, WOOL, &c.

etc. etc.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 10:32 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census, Poulton, WILTSHIRE

POULTON PLACE

TOMBS
Edward - aged 40 - Farmer of 300 ac employed 18 lb- born G Barrington, Berks
Mary - aged 40 - born, Fazeley, Staffs
Saml F F - aged 17, employed at home, born Kemble
Alice - aged 15, born Kemble
John Edward, aged 13 , born Kemble
Agnes - aged 4 - born Maisey Hampton, Glos
Marian L - aged 2 - born Maisey Hampton, Flo
----

On the Forest of Dean Website, Marriage Allegations and Marriage Bonds - there are quite a few TOMBS.

This one must be a generation (or two) - of an Edward TOMBS from Great Barrington

28 Sept 1773

Edward TOMBS, over 21, Bachelor, occupation: Groom,
Elizabeth MATTHEWS - aged 20 - residence: Great Barrington

by Licence

etc