Author Topic: Dolguan House, Newtown  (Read 9954 times)

Offline RoseJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dolguan House, Newtown
« on: Tuesday 09 June 09 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hello

Does anyone know the history of Dolguan House, Milford Road, Newtown, Powys please? I've attached a photo of it taken in the 1930s or 1940s. Any help with dating the picture more accurately would be great too. The lady in the photo was born in 1874, she was Isabella Mouat (Robinson) my grandmother's cousin.

Thanks for any information

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Dolguan House, Newtown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-7023021.html/svr/3012;jsessionid=929F37021916FCF799A5622FCA513DDD

I think this may be the same house, the fancy stone work over the windows and the `turret` look very similer.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline RoseJB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
I agree is must be the same house. It looks beautiful inside and now I'm even more intrigued about it's history!
Thanks for the link.

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 22:02 BST (UK) »
I checked the post code, SY16 2EQ  and it actully seems the be in  Llanwchiaiam , which is just outside Newtown.
I tried to locate it in the 1901 census for that parish, but there are quite a few districts to go through. Of course, it could have changed it`s name, or not be under a house name.
What`s your connection, were any relations living there in 1901. If so , a name would help.
It does look a grand place.
Perhaps the local FHS society or library in Newtown may have information, and Also the electoral rolls will be useful, but I think you will need a name to locate it. I`m sure others will be able to give you more advice.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 22:28 BST (UK) »

The house is in Llanwllchairan, which is the part of Newtown over the river!!!! My Mum was born in Crescent Street, Llanwllchairan just down the road!

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Monkey0678

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, what a lovely picture.
I live in Newtown and stumbled across this picture as I was looking for houses for sale as I want to look for one on Milford Rd.
I just wanted to help you and put straight a few fuzzy facts.
Milford Rd is actually in the town of Newtown and is in fact the premier address to live at. Llanllwcharian is a sort of village/area just one mile from the centre of newtown and houses the parish church and about 200 new houses.
Milford Rd is in the parish of Newtown and Llanllwcharian.
The house in question is now divided into 2 and owned by different people.
I'm not sure by looking at it which side is in the picture, I think it's Dolguan East.
Dolguan West is inhabited by a large family with 5 grown up children but Dolguan East has been for sale for the past 2 years and is now being rented out.
Milford Rd is now far more densly populated than it was then and Dolguan House would at that time have been one of the premier houses in what then would have been a very prosperous woollen producing town.
You can walk up to the house from the main rd.
Crescent St is a rd off the same roundabout as milford rd is. They are both in the same part of town north of the river.

Offline zodiac101

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 16:55 BST (UK) »
My husband lived at Dolguan from 1947 until we got married in 1973.  The house was, I believe, originally built as one house but then was divided into two.  In 1949 Dolguan West was bought by my Father in Law from a Leslie Watkins and in 1950 Leslie Watkins sold Dolguan East to Dr. E. J. Jones, Dr. Jones died in 1967 and my Parents in law bought Dolguan East (the part with the turret).  When my parents in law sold it in about 1983 it was converted into a care home. It has since been split into two again and Dolguan East is up for sale, and has been for some time.  I hope that this is helpful - If I am able to find out any further information I will let you know.

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 22:09 BST (UK) »

I see you've managed to sell it now then Wilcoxon.  :D

Offline Milfordsi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 September 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi - I live in Dolguan West!! My wife and I have been here since 2002 and we do indeed have 5 children (how did you know that Monkey0678?) - as well as 4 cats and 3 dogs .... it's a busy house!
We were led to believe that the house dates from circa 1870 and was originally built for a Navy captain and his sister as separate dwellings - this would make sense in that both Dolguan East and West have similar, quite impressive entrance halls and staircases which are obviously original.
We understand that the house has been combined together and divided up several times. It looks from the photograph posted by RoseJB that a metal rail fence divided the front garden so that would suggest that the houses were separate at the time the photo was taken. By the way, the people in the photograph are standing in the front garden of Dolguan West with the front side of Dolguan East in the background. Does anyone know who the man is in the photo?
Dolguan East has more original features than our side and was sympathetically restored and decorated in the early 2000's. Our side, Dolguan West, was the care home in the 1980's and 90's and has some rather peculiar features like a full fire alarm system, 3-phase electricity, fire protection on the back of most of the doors, emergency lighting ..... and wierd plumbing!! To be honest we've just lived in it - it's been a fantastic place to bring up a large family, and we love Newtown and it's surrounds - beats the Manchester suburbs hands down!
Somewhere I have an aerial photo of the whole house that was taken about 6 years ago - if I can find it I will scan and post it.
Zodiac101 - obviously you (or your husband) know the house very well - if you have any other information we would love to know more .... and if you are aware that anything I have said above is completely inaccurate please let me know.
Cheers.  :)