Author Topic: 1918 Absent Voters List - Belfast  (Read 7991 times)

Offline Vejovis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1918 Absent Voters List - Belfast
« on: Tuesday 09 June 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether or not this AVL is still in existance, but I'm looking for the regimental number for a chap who resided at 205 Mayo Street , Belfast so I can be certain of getting the correct details for this man out of several with the same name who served in his regiment. His name was Thomas Hamilton...Can anyone help me out here please? (or tell me where the AVL for Belfast is located (and if it still exists).

many thanks in advance.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1918 Absent Voters List - Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I have had a look at the CWGC site and also on the Military record site on Ancestry and the only Thomas Hamilton I can find who was born in Belfast and resided in Belfast died on 30 Nov 1917 and his regimental number was 6703. He served in the 2nd Bn of the Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers. Ancestry gives his residence  as Shankill Co. Antrim.
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 17:38 BST (UK) »
   I have had a look at the CWGC site and also on the Military record site on Ancestry and the only Thomas Hamilton I can find who was born in Belfast and resided in Belfast died on 30 Nov 1917 and his regimental number was 6703. He served in the 2nd Bn of the Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers. Ancestry gives his residence  as Shankill Co. Antrim.
Soldier will not be listed in CWGC unless he was killed in the War.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Vejovis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks...

He did survive the war and his service papers aren't on Ancestry (nor are they on microfilm at Kew, but i have a sneaking suspicion that they may still be around if a family rumour turns out to be semi-false). He served in either the Royal Irish Rifles or the Royal Irish Fusiliers and only served in France & Flanders, arriving at some point prior to 1st Jan 1916 (making him having to have been in the 1st or 2nd or  7th to the 16th Bns of the RIR or the 1st, 2nd, 7th , 8th or 9th Bns of the RIF). There are also a number of men of this name who served with one of these two regiments who fit the bill according to their Medal index cards...I've so far managed to whittle these down to 4 (with one of them almost burning a hole in my hardrive screaming out that that particular one is correct (due to the bit of "family speculation" mentioned earlier which, if it's half-correct (rather than completely correct) then it confirms that this one is indeed the right one) ;D)

As you can see, I'm 80% certain that I've found what I need, but , if a Belfast AVL still exists, then that would 100% confirm it for me.

Cheers.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 20:55 BST (UK) »
Only a small percentage (something like 30%?) of World War One service records survive.
I'm not sure abour Absent Voters Lists for Belfast (or Northern Ireland) but perhaps someone else will be able to help with that.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 03:29 BST (UK) »
if the AVL still exists then the linenhall library in belfast might be worth a shout. i had thought that PRONI might have it but i couldn't find anything on a search.

i dont know if it helps any or if you've seen it already but thomas hamilton was living at the same address on the 1911 census.would his age or his parents names help you to narrow your options down?

tony

Offline Vejovis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
would his age or his parents names help you to narrow your options down?

Thanks, but no, as I've already got all those details - all I need now is (confirmation of) his regimental number.

Rumour has it that he applied for the RFC but was rejected...the MIC that I have a suspicion about mentions a transfer (which would have taken place, according to his RFC number, in January 1918) to the RFC, so i'm hoping that the rumour may be only half right in that he was rejected as a flier, but was still accepted into the RFC/RAF. Hopefully, his service papers still exist if this is the case (chances are that they do - they were held by the Air Ministry and ,so, didn't suffer the damage accorded to the Army records) and I'll get confirmation from these, even if I can't find an AVL. (Even if it's the wrong man, then at least I'll be able to cancel out one more MIC)

Thanks again...I'll give the Linen Hall a try (I also failed to find anything at PRONI).

Offline Vejovis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 June 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
AVL now no longer needed, thanks.... all details confirmed on his RFC papers.

Cheers.

Offline 32nd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
hi i you could be looking for my great granda 6703 thomas hamilton shankill road