Author Topic: St Anne's Nursing Home 1940's  (Read 16927 times)

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Anne's Nursing Home 1940's
« on: Wednesday 10 June 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone know anything about St Anne's Nursing Home in ?Newport, ?Chepstow in the 1940's.  A letter was received, 10 years ago, regarding the mothers of the babies born there, saying that guaranteed privacy was given to the mothers......but surely there must be some sort of record kept somewhere?  Would be grateful for any info on this subject.

Nanny McPhee
Brown/Smith/Hunt/Edwards/David/Cawsey/Stokes/Jenkins/Jackson/
GLAMORGANSHIRE/MONMOUTHSHIRE
Brown/Smith/Harding/Pyatt/
SOMERSET
Bodman/Ledbury/Hancock/Morris/
WILTSHIRE
Elsmore/Ellsmore/Long/Heath/Morgan
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
Re: St Anne's Nursing Home 1940's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 09 09:50 BST (UK) »
This is a link to the web site of St Annes Hospice in Newport run by the nuns from Llantarnam Abbey.
If you contact them, they may be able to tell the history of the private hospital and say when the sisters first set it up.
Its a long shot I know but a place to start.

http://www.stanneshospice.org.uk/page2.html
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that link Papa but unfortunately Google tell me that its an 'oops link broken' situation.  It was kind of you.  But I will try and find a bit more info on the Nursing Home from perhaps a library of something.  Thanks again.

Cherryl
SOMERSET
WILTSHIRE
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 09 20:02 BST (UK) »
I just checked out the link myself and your correct it doesn't work but at the moment none of the links to the site on the net are working either so I suspect that their web site is down.
But as you say, it could be St Annes in Chepstow.
The last  I knew about that was back in the 1970/80's when it was a reception centre for Vietnamese refugee's.
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I received a message from someone on MONH telling me to try contacting the Archbishop of Cardiff regarding St Annes.  I did this last night and received this reply today which has also been very helpful.  So, as I said, I will be contacting the lady concerned to get more details from her and will get back to the Archbishops address to see if he can be of any help.  Will let you all know what happens but thank you all for your help on here.  I know the lady herself would also like to thank you as she had given up any hope of 'finding her past'.

To think I am moaning because I cannot get any further back than 1754.....shame on me!

Nannie McPhee

"Thank you for your email.  We are looking into this and my Vicar General has been in touch with the parish in Chepstow.    Apparently there was a refuge/home run by religious sisters in the area in the 1940’s, and we hope to find out more details about that and which Religious Congregation ran the home.   However, Church records will only record Baptism, so we are trying to find out where births in that area would have been registered – possibly Abergavenny.  Once we know that, you could get in touch with the relevant Register Office for a search.

It would be helpful if you could let me know the name of the person concerned and if you have a more specific date.  You could either email this information if you have it, or by all means give me a ring here at Archbishop’s House:   029  2022  0411.

With every kind wish,

+ Peter
SOMERSET
WILTSHIRE
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline adetoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 May 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The link you have been given is NOT the correct link for what you are looking for!!

I was one of the "Un-married" Mothers who lived at St Annes in Chepstow in 1975!
The home was run by Silent Nuns apart from Sister Delores & Sister Francess who did speak.
When I stayed there the ages were between 13 - 21.
A lot of the girls who stayed there had thier babies given up for adoption, I was one of the lucky girls who was able to keep my baby!
This was a very very sad time for most of us there!!!
The home closed down a few years after I left & was turned into a Nursing Home!

I hope that has been of some help to you!

Offline adetoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 May 12 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I would like to say that it was not a Refuge for Vietnamise people.

It was a Home for Un-married Mothers to be!
The girls stayed at the home for 6 weeks prior to thier babies being born, then after the birth they would stay possibly for a further 6 weeks or until thier babies were taken from them & put into Foster homes awaiting adoption!!

I lost touch with all of the girls that were there at my time & can no longer remember any names.  I do have some photos somewhere though!!
It was a very troubled time for us as you can imagine!

If you need any further information please ask and I'll help if I can.

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 May 12 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Adetoon

My friend happened to have been born there in 1964, a little while before your time.  Her baptism was passed on to her by the Archbishops Office and she managed, after a long haul, to find who her birth mother was but has not, as yet, plucked up the courage to be in contact.

As you say, thankfully you were very lucky to have kept your bundle of joy, I cannot imagine how it would have been having to give my daughter up.  Her dad and I were given all the help there was, we married and had a lovely 42 years together until he died 2 years ago.  I will pass your info onto my friend anyway, so thanks for that.
SOMERSET
WILTSHIRE
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline kathryn joanne

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Anne's Nursing Home 1960s
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 May 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Aim looking for my sister in 1960s my mum stayed in st Ann es and gave birth to my sister who was then given up for adoption the information i have is she was born either 1961 or 1962 in the nursing run by nuns for fallen women,  As my mum is no longer with us it is very difficult but if any body as any information i would be glad how ever small.