Author Topic: lost,lost,LOST! - completed -  (Read 4670 times)

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: lost,lost,LOST!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 February 05 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Bryant

Thanks for all the military info., yes it'll keep me busy but at least it's a new avenue, not just going over the same old thing again and again.

I don't have much to go on for either of my gr. grandparents.  A cousin of mine believes Alice's mothers name was Susan, possibly Williams but I can't confirm this.

That is the birth reg. I thought could be the one, the reason being is on the marriage certificate she has her age as 21, as well as this I looked through my late father's papers and found a letter from Charles to my father a couple of weeks after Alice's death.  The letter was dated January 1945 and in it he mentioned my aunt had taken him some flowers which he had taken to the cemetery the previous week for Alice's birthday.  Although both the memory card and newspaper article of her death has her aged 59 in December 1944.   I have found a family on 1881 census which I thought could be the right one, it has siblings: Florence, Emily and Rose.  Again I can't confirm it, my cousin thinks she recalls a Florence but can't be sure.

As for medals, I have been in touch with the daughter of the eldest son, but she says she has nothing, and can't give me any info. at all - although her son is researching her husbands family at the moment and hopes to do hers later, perhaps she just doesn't want me to get ahead of him!

Thanks again for all your help, I'm off to take a closer look at the military info.

Sandy.
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Richards & Roberts,  in Carmarthen & Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.
Dinmore, in SE London (prev.Surrey & Kent), Lowestoft & Yorks.
Collier/Collyer, Tyler & Welch in SE London(prev.Surrey)

All census transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 February 05 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Sandy
If you believe that Alice is the one born in Camberwell in 1886 go for it (and by what youv'e said in the last mail it looks good)...the birth cert at £7-00 will be well worth it to prove the connection...it will give you fathers name and occupation as well as mothers maiden name and the address of the family at time of birth. It also gives you the person who registered the birth (not always mum but normally). If it's the right one? it will lead to Alice's parents marriage and off you go again.
Iv'e wasted a few £7-00 in my time looking at my roots, it closes channels and opens new ones and thats half the fun!

Something else to think about!

1891 census
36 Rivar?, Shalbourne, Hungerford, Berkshire

Michael Chandler  head  53  ag lab  Kenneth Marlborough, Wilts
Elizabeth A  "        wife   52              Tidcombe, Wilts
Thomas       "         son   22  ag lab   Fasbury, Wilts
Martha E     "         daur  18               Shalbourne, Wilts
ALICE TYLER   grandaughter 5           Railway Cottages (London)
----------------------------------------
Did George James Tyler marry a Chandler girl...the birth cert will tell you!
was she born in Railway Cottages?

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 February 05 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Bryant

Thanks again for all your help and advice.  I'm waiting for my cousin to get back to me so I can discuss the military connection and I have sent for that birth certificate, just waiting, fingers crossed, but if it proves to be the wrong one the other lead you give will be worth chasing.

Thanks again

Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 February 05 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Sandy

forget the last one on the Chandlers

in 1871 Michael & Elizabeth Chandler are seen in Berks with a daughter named Emma, she didn't show in 1881 so I assumed she was the one that married a Tyler. I found her unmarried working as a servant in London aged 22.

I went looking for her marriage (in anticipation I might add) to a Tyler

only to find

She married an Ebenezer Tyler at Chelsea in 1883

Regards
Bryant

Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 February 05 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Bryant

Thanks for that, at least I know where not to look.  I'm hoping the birth certificate isn't going to take too much longer to arrive and hopefully it will be the correct one, if not I'll posting yet another dead end!

Thanks again

Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 March 05 20:14 GMT (UK) »
It's me AGAIN, still lost, going in circles, bumping into walls!
This is a bit long winded, but I can't think of a shorter way of giving  the info. on my problems.
I haven't been able to pursue the military question yet, I won't be able to get to the archives for at least a month now - Oh to have spare time!  I have spoken to two cousins which only left me more confused.  Cousin 1, the eldest, didn't know Charles Henry had been in service.  Cousin 2 said the only info. her father had given was that he thought Charles had been in the Royal Engineers, stationed at Woolwich and that he remembered Charles mentioning being sent to Ireland, but that's it, no recollection of any medal.
I then went over the 1891 census I found for a stepson called Charles Welch.  Cousin 1 felt it wasn't him at all, but cousin 2 thought the siblings names were so close to his later childrens names that it was a possibility.  However, like me, when I told her the only Charles Welch born in 1883 in Surrey was Charles WILLIAM not Charles HENRY, she couldn't understand why anyone would change their middle name, so back to square one!

As for Alice Emily Tyler.  I received the birth certificate the other day.  It's the right one and confirms her mother's name as Susan Williams.  Alice was born in the same street they were living in on the 1891 and 1901 censuses.  I thought, great!  I'll be able to look up her parents marriage.  I can find plenty of George Tylers and Susan Williams, but no George Tyler marrying a Susan Williams.
Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 March 05 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Sandie

WHAT Street and where in the 1891 & 1901 censuses was Alice born ?
Did the birth cert confirm George James Tyler as the father?....or did it just have the mother on it?

Regards
Bryant

Offline sandie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 March 05 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Bryant

The birth certificate for Alice had 'George Tyler' as father and Susan Williams as mother so I have assumed it's the same man, although George's occupation was carpenter and not labourer as on later census.
Alice was born 50 Stanton Street, Peckham and on 1891 and 1901 censuses they were living at 12 Stanton Street, Peckham so obviously didn't move around much, that's why I thought it would be easy to find their marriage - wrong!  I'm beginning to wonder about my father's family.

Regards
Sandie
Lewis & Davies in Glam.
Bowen & Morgans in Carm.
Walters & Mort in Glam.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 March 05 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Sandieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why don't I see them in 1891 & 1901? is the spelling different? im looking for GEORGE & SUSAN TYLER is that correct....any children there? where was George & Susan born? how old are the children (if any) and the parents?
Did Susan register Alice's birth?

just for info....
Stanton Street is still there, its between Peckham High Street and Commercial Road or way?...I can't remember the make up of the Street, but it probably had a load of Council Flats built on it many years ago? although there are plenty of Streets in Peckham where the houses survive from Victorian times. .............And my Gr Grandfather lived about 200 yards away from your lot in Green Hundred Road in 1881!

Bryant