Author Topic: 1906 or 1911 census look up for the Weldman family  (Read 4801 times)

Offline fanta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1906 or 1911 census look up for the Weldman family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 June 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
This is for Karen and Debbie. As i don't know how to post separately. ( Sorry )

I am so grateful for what you have done for me. I am so overwhelmed.For you to have found two marriages for me is amazing.
I have no contact with any relatives in Canada. So maybe this will be a help in finding them.
I only have one distant cousin in America and between the two of us we have been trying to trace our Ancestors.
I have to say it has been an exciting journey for me and with out your help i would never have got this far.
So once again i would like to thank you for all your time and effort. This is a wonderful forum and i am sure that you have helped a lot of people.
Thank you from Fanta

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 June 09 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello folks,

I think this may be Hilda (as Woodman) in 1911 in Montreal?

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=117465

Looks like she's working as a nurse in a Children's Home; born 1889 in Nova Scotia.

Montreal Directories are on line and free to search...here is the link. Click on Serie Principale and it is English after that. There are Woodmans listed.

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 June 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for Kenneth William Acheson on 18 Sep 1929 with his christening 16 Oct 1929.  Parents are Matthew Acheson, machinist and Eva Woodman.  Sponsors are Matthew Acheson Sr. and Margaret Richards (father's parents)

Birth of Kenneth's father - Matthew William Richard Acheson 14 May 1901 Montreal.  His father was a brass finisher at that time.  Mother Margaret Jane Richards. 

Death of Kenneth's father 22 July 1939 in Montreal at age 38.  Burial record only.  Witnesses were Charles Frederick and Edgar Richard Acheson.

There is also a private ancestry tree online that only shows the four children that were born in England.

Debbie

Offline fanta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 June 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
I don't know what to say. This is unbelievable. The more information you give. The more chances i have of finding my family.
Thank you ever so much for your time and effort.
From Fanta

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 June 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
http://stevemorse.org/montreal/montreal.html

One stop shopping for searching Montreal City Directories.  It should prove useful to you.
I entered Woodman for 1917 and got the following
Louis Woodman, glazier 845 Champagneur Ave. Outremont.

You should be able to trace him and some of the other names forward in time.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 June 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
In the 1910-1911 and 1911-1912 Lovells directories the entry for
Lewis Woodman, carpenter, shows an address of 1492 Cadieux.

The family should show up on the 1911 census in Montreal - we just have to figure out under what misspelling.

Debbie

Offline fanta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 June 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie.
I think you are right about him being a carpenter. I remember that on the 1891 census of England and Wales he was a picture frame maker.
I will also have a look at the one stop shop that you recommended.
Thanks again from Fanta

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 June 09 03:36 BST (UK) »
In the Montreal directories you find an entry for Louis Woodman up until 1919.  In 1920 the entry changes to Mrs. A. Woodman, widow of Louis at 845 champagneau Ave. Outremont.  There are entries for Mrs. A. up to 1924 but not after.  In 1925 and 1926 there is an entry for David Woodman, steno, at #2 316 Hopper Ave but not in 1927. 

The Champagneau Ave. address in Outremont was well utilized on 6 May 1920.  A number of the children were baptized through the Outremont Presbyterian Church on that date.
David Clarence Woodman, born 17 Jan 1898 Greenhead (?) near Halifax N.S.
Hilda Elizabeth born 15 May 1889 Swansea, Wales
Eva Dorothy born 12 Nov 1899 Greenhead (?) near Halifax, N.S.
Rebecca Margaret Woodman, Mrs. Ephraim Kidd Byrne, husband, deceased, born 16 Jan 1896 Greenhead(?) near Halifax, N.S.  Underneath her name is & K. Byrne (not sure if that means she had a child that was also included in the baptism?)

On 23 Dec 1923, also at the Outremont Presbyterian Church, was the marriage, by licence, of Francis Ruth to William Lee Stokes, of legal age, son of William Henry Stokes and ?.

All the children in these baptismal and marriage entries show their father as Nathan Woodman and mother as Sarah Cattroll

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 June 09 03:49 BST (UK) »
One last piece of information.  William Everett Stokes, son of Francis Ruth and William Lee Stokes, died 17 Nov 1924 and was buried the same day at Mont Royal Cemetery.  Only reference was to his date of death.  Again through the Outremont Presbyterian Church records.

Debbie