Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 109971 times)

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #45 on: Monday 21 September 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hello k182. Only just saw your message.

If your grandfather joined around 1926 I would suggest the Alphabetical Registers of Joiners or Attestation Ledgers. There are only photos of the Attestation Ledgers at the moment. I do have the Alphabetical Registers on photo but not yet available on flickr. If you let me know the person's name I can do a quick check for you.

The Metropolitan Police Records (MEPO) page on Your Archives is a good resource for finding out which books will be of help, if you want to go to The National Archives instead.

Hope that's of some help, BarnabyP

Offline k182

• RootsChat Member
  • No matter how much i want to give up i can't
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 21 September 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying BarnabyP.
My Grandfather's name was J Buckland the station was in Hackney hope you can help.
I have been on this page (The Metropolitan Police Records (MEPO) page on Your Archives)and tryed to find him but i keep ending up at the same page so i think i am doing something wrong.

thank you
k

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 21 September 09 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hello K182.

I could only find two J Bucklands in the Alphabetical Register of Joiners running from 1902 to 1933. They were:

Warrant No. Names, Date of Joining, Division
101403, Buckland, James Andrew, 1912-06-24, W

Division W was Clapham though. There is a cancelled leaving for this person in the Registers of Leavers in 1915 and they were still in division W. They could have transferred though.

There was a James Alfred Buckland (96497) who joined in 1909 and left in 1924, who was in division N (which is around Islington) for that whole period.

Neither of these look helpful as neither meet the criteria given.

Yours, BarnabyP

Offline k182

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hello BarnabyP

Thank you that is him James i didnt think he joined that early because in 1911 he was working in a warehouse.
Thats very intresting He must of transferred to Hackney maybe in 1915 in stead of leaving because he ended up as a Mounted Policeman working for the King.
Would i be able to get his records with his Warrant no and the dates.

Thank you again,
k182

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello K182.

I have looked for a further leaving entry in the Registers of Leavers ahead of where I have transcribed up to - but have been unable to. If James had stayed in for 25 years (which is how long he would have had to, to have achieved a pension) then he would have re-left in Jun/Jul 1947. Unfortunately the Registers of Leavers only go up to January of 1947.

Is it possible that he left in Summer of that year or later? When he moved, did he leave London?

If he did leave after 1947 then there's a good chance that there's a pension record for him. I don't think TNA have any officer service records, so a pension record is your best chance.

Yours, BarnabyP

Offline k182

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hello BarnabyP

On his wife DC he is a Police Pensioner that was in 1943 Colochester i dont know what year they moved.

What would be on a Pension Record?

Thank you
K182

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 22:33 BST (UK) »

Is someone kind enough to help? I cannot find my way around this Met Police Records site,

According to 1911 census Albert George Kent age 31 born Mentmore Bucks and Alfred Groom age 28 born Ivinghoe, Bucks were police constables.

Would appreciate if any records could be found.

Thank you

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello K182

My great-great-grandfather, who left in 1901, had the following on his pension record:

Name (perhaps obviously)
Rank
Date of leaving
Amount of pay
Pension amount
Age on resignation (or date of birth)
Length of service
Height, hair and complexion
Information about service
Marital status
Next of kin
Present address
Pensioners signature

Things changed over the years, though.

Yours, BarnabyP

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Mentmore.

I have had a quick look on the 1901 census. It says that Albert Kent was a constable in the City Police. Which I would interpret to mean that he was in the City Of London Police. Do you know which force he was an officer in.

If he's a City of London Police Officer the documents about that force are not held at TNA. I did a quick search on Google and came-up with this page: What records do we hold?. If you scroll down there are a series of links, one of the titled, 'City of London Police Officers'.

Is it possible that he could have transferred to the Metropolitan Police Force?

I found an Alfred Groom who joined the Metropolitan Police Force on 22nd June 1908 with Warrant No. 95846 and resigned 26 June 1933. This was found on the Alphabetical Registers of Joiners. But this information is also on the Attestation Ledger - does that look like his signature? - and the Register of Leavers. This would generally be long enough for a pension to have been issued. With the date of leaving a pension record should be easy to find (under MEPO 21 at the National Archives).

Hopefully this is of some help, BarnabyP