Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 109982 times)

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 23:51 BST (UK) »

Hi BarnabyP

Thanks for replying, as for Albert Kent all  have is from the 1901 census which states he is residing at Snow Hill Police Station, and a constable in the City police. I have emailed I think it was the LMA to enquire as to whether they hold records and have never received an reply.

But, I do thank you for the info on Alfred Groom.

Carol

Offline Fay Turner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 15 October 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Barnaby - I have tried to search for John James Turner who is listed on the 1901 census as a Constable in the Metropolitan Police aged 26 but I'm afraid I'm not getting very far!  Would you be able to do a quick look up for me please or tell me how to do it myself?

Many thanks.

Fay Turner

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 16 October 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Fay. I have just had a quick look and came-up with the following:

John James Waldock Turner, Joined:1895, Left:1912, Wt No.:80815, ROL: MEPO 4/344 [Pg 86].

Does the information look right? There are other James Turners, with different and no middle names. This one seems a good candidate though. You can see whether his signature on the Attestation Ledger matches that on the 1911 census - if he filled it in and/or if he signed it. You can get to further records through links on the site.

My advice for people searching is: The best way is to search Your Archives is using 'ROL' and the surname - Turner in this case and possibly the first name. This should then produce a list of relevant results.

Yours BarnabyP

[EDITED: Saturday 17 October 09 00:28 BST (UK)] To correct information.

Offline jennyhawk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 16 October 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
hi

Can you look up William samuel wright he was a pc in k dision in london he was born in about 1888 died 1954 not sure how long he was a pc for or the time he was sorry not much to go on if you want any more info let me know

Jen
Wright essex
Lott essex

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 16 October 09 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Jen.

Just had a look and have found a William Samuel Wright on the Registers of Leavers MEPO 4/350 Page 14. There's no transcription but there is a picture - about half way down the right-hand page. You should also be able to find his signature on the Attestation Ledger and he appears to have been pensioned also.

Hope that's helpful, BarnabyP

Offline jennyhawk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 17 October 09 16:17 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for that cant found much more info with him having a pension as well, would there had been any pictures of them taken when they was in the met? love to found a picture of him, we think he was in the met for 20 years or more so he was in for a long time thank you again for the info you have found out

Jen ;D
Wright essex
Lott essex

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 17 October 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Jen.

There might have been a picture of him taken while he was in the Met. Though I don't have any I'm afraid. Glad the rest was useful though.

BarnabyP

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 17 October 09 23:47 BST (UK) »

I have a Met. Police officer who resigned from the force 1933, his rank is given as SPS which I think is Security Protective Service.  Who or what would he be protecting?

Thanks

Carol

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 18 October 09 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol (Mentmore).

I think that the rank SPS stands for Station Police Sergeant - taken from the Police Orders website's Key/Glossary page. I'm not sure what the role involved though. You might have to do a bit of searching on the matter.

Yours, BarnabyP