Author Topic: Use it or lose it?  (Read 1527 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Use it or lose it?
« on: Sunday 14 June 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
Chatters,

I often use the LDS facilities at one of their FHC's - I believe most if not all their churches have them - and it seems that pressure might be mounting to reduce the hours available to non-members.

If you have never used the LDS FHC facilities to search one of their millions of films related to family history have a look at the LDS library giving their films' titles and seriously consider it please.

You can find details of the whereabouts of FHC's on the LDS site.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: Use it or lose it?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 June 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
When they were originally given permission to film church records it was on condition that they allowed access to non church members.  I hope they are not forgetting this.

I went to my local LDS every week for 10 years.  This was before the net.  I found all my family in Norfolk.  They would be hard to find on the net even now.  So I agree people should go as often as possible.  It is a cheap way to look at Parish registers.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been going to my local LDS FHC for 10 years but they have recently closed it. The LDS web site says the closure is temporary but the local people in control won't give a definate answer on this and give no indication whether it will ever reopen. They suggest using two other centres around 15-20 miles away but easier said than done when people are having to rely on public transport to get there.

Rosie

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 09 16:46 BST (UK) »
Ummm,

My nearest LDS Centre is about 24 miles away, and as a novice to the hobby I've never used the facility before.

What's involved, and what do I need to know before I go, please?

Roger The (inexperienced) Hat.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 09 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger and all

My centre is also over 20 miles away but well worth the trip when researching places and people outside your county of residence.

To check whether LDS have microfilms etc. for the area and date you need go to their family dearch website and click on 'library' then to library catalogue then follow the search through.

You need the film reference number and then you can order this by writing to your local centre.  The current cost is £2.70 for one month, £3.90 for three months.

When the film comes in they will ring you and then you book a microfilm reader etc.

As for losing them - I know my local one was having problems getting church members to man the facilities for a while but it seems to be OK now.

Christine

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Christine, I'll give it a go! 8) ;D

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 09 17:20 BST (UK) »
My centre is also over 20 miles away but well worth the trip when researching places and people outside your county of residence.

As for losing them - I know my local one was having problems getting church members to man the facilities for a while but it seems to be OK now.

Christine

I would agree that they are well worth the journey and the resources are extremely good.  Staffing isn't the problem at the one I was going to as the person manning it was more than happy to continue.  ???  
Still we live in hope they will have a change of heart.

Rosie

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
I went to my local LDS very frequently over a period of years and it was invaluable!  I haven't needed to go there just lately, but I know that they have reduced their hours substantially.  Also, the films that were held in our country (in Sydney) are no longer held there.  I think they all have to come from Salt Lake City, which means a long wait.  It is very sad, I think.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline ~Rachel~

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:52 BST (UK) »
I've never been before, I didn't know they existed actually! My nearest one isn't too far so will give it a go, thanks for bringing it up!
Waite, Marchant, Nash, Goddard, Pocock, Hiles, Switzer, Larondie, Harris, Radford, Monger, Harper, Harris, Sixsmith, Fitzgerald.