Author Topic: South Australia immigration - Daisy SAVAGE + Harry Reginald SIMMONDS  (Read 6183 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia immigration - Daisy SAVAGE + Harry Reginald SIMMONDS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi THEQ,

Not much help I am afraid - I could not find a death or funeral notice for Daisy in the Advertiser either. The funeral notices are indexed and it is not listed. The librarian wonders if she may have died interstate. I would have checked the News for a notice but alas they are not on film for that period and I would have had to go to a different section and had hard copy brought out.

I could not see their immigration listed in the index. There was an entry for a  Mr H and Mrs R arriving 22 Dec 1950 aboard the STRATHMORE (no further information)

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline THEQ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 21:43 BST (UK) »
Big thank you to, tropicalj, Judb, krisesjoint and everyone else that has helped me dig up some Amazing information from down under. Without the help of this board and the amazing people on here, I never would have had the chance to obtain the information provided.

Thank you...

Cheers from B.C

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi THEQ,

Not much help I am afraid - I could not find a death or funeral notice for Daisy in the Advertiser either. The funeral notices are indexed and it is not listed. The librarian wonders if she may have died interstate. I would have checked the News for a notice but alas they are not on film for that period and I would have had to go to a different section and had hard copy brought out.

I could not see their immigration listed in the index. There was an entry for a  Mr H and Mrs R arriving 22 Dec 1850 aboard the STRATHMORE (no further information)

Cheers Kris

That is odd as  Cando  has supplied a link  to SAGH's  that  shows a notice for Daisy.  I also had contact with  thecemtery and feel  sure she was from Greenacres .

I also wondered Kris  if you  meant 1950 in  your arrival details ;D

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
Jenn, there does not appear to be a notice in the advertiser either death or funeral that I could see. It may be in the news but I was not able to check that without going to a different section and having hard copy brought out. The library are unable to help with any SAGHS refs as they do all their own indexing. I had one heck of a time trying to find a government gazette entry they have indexed also. The library, hold the records do not have access to these indexes. For access to their indexing I am afraid you need to contact the SAGHS. The library cannot help. There certainly is no funeral notice in the library index, and the librarian feels if there was a notice it would be in the index, so I don't know what to think. I can check the plaque next time I am at Centennial Park, but that is not likely to help with this.

Yes Jenn I did mean 1950  :-[ All better now

Sorry that was not them - I had wondered if index may have been wrong but that was a Hubert and Rachel. There was a Harry Frederick in 1959 but he was only 41.

Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Oh  Kris  I  didn't mean  to denegrate  all  the  work  and effort  you  had  put in trying to find Daisy's death notice  I  was just  pointing  out  that SGAHS  had  it and  perhaps  TheQ if  he was interested might  wish  to  prurchase it  from  them, 

Kind  thoughts Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline chris wootton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
hello sorry to be nearly three years late. Just found you whilst searching savages online. Daisy's dad George is my Great uncle. My great granddad was William. There are still members of the family in Gosport that know more than I do. Let me know if you need any info.

Best regards

Chris Woottonj

Offline Simmo-in-aus

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 August 19 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am Harry R Simmonds' great grandson and may be able to shed some light on the family and his MBE.  I am based in Aus.

If anyone is still interested, please let me know.