Author Topic: Her father's what? COMPLETED with thanks  (Read 2910 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Her father's what? COMPLETED with thanks
« on: Monday 15 June 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Father ?????  written under occupation in 1841 and crossed out.

Any ideas please?

It looks like Malder and if this is what it says - any thoughts on what it might mean

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Her father's what?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 June 09 00:59 BST (UK) »
Feather is first word, not father  :)  Can't quite read 2nd word, could be Moulder? It's not exactly crossed out, that will be the mark made by the clerk checking the page.

Usual occupations are feather-beater, dresser or driver, which meant cleaning feathers for sale

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 09 01:29 BST (UK) »
Could it not be 'Father malster'? (malster meaning brewer)

On some of the next pages, there are similar crossings out, over things like 'husband fishing' and 'husband sailor'.

Elizabeth is only 17 years old, and is in charge of many siblings.  Could their father not have been at work when the census was taken?

It seems that the census-taker, instead of adding the person onto the census as though they were there - gave the excuse for why they were missing.

I wonder who crossed them out though?  Whether he had realised his own mistake, or the person above him did it.

Rosemary

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 09 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary, I hadn't looked at the actual census page before replying, but having looked now, that does make sense and there aren't any other feather workers round about.
As I said though, the crossing out was usually done by the clerk checking the form.  They sometimes made additions to make occupations clearer

c-side, do you know who Elizabeth's parents were, do they appear in a later census - perhaps the father's occupation might be there?  In 1851 I can't see the whole family, they may have left home, but there is a William the right age with parents Samuel and Sarah, and Samuel is an Innkeeper at the Ship Inn in Carlton Colville, which could be a connection

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 09 09:12 BST (UK) »
That would fit in with him being a malster in the 1841 census.

He probably progressed and got his own place :)

Rosemary

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 09 10:46 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering if this was not an occupation, but a statement of relationship, i.e. giving the name of the daughter's real father ?

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 09 10:54 BST (UK) »
It looks like they all have the same surname, and her being the oldest (and probably most responsible) got to be the one with the father's occupation beside her. 

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 June 09 10:58 BST (UK) »
Could they be staying with the family above on the census page, maybe?

c-side may have the answers  :)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 June 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
Look what happens when my back is turned!

Firstly, this is my friends family, not mine, and she's been dong family history for precisely one week since she found a bunch of certificates and other papers and realised how much information she already had.

I've left her to look at freebmd and family search but I've been having a go at the census records.

The person we are interested in is Elizabeth's younger brother, James.  He becomes a mariner and ends up in Northumberland.  We have him on every census but 1851 (probably at sea then)

According to IGI extracted record the parents were James and Elizabeth Durrant but they do not appear on any census that I can find.  There are a lot of Durrants in this area and another couple called James and Elizabeth living not too far away but with other children - so not them.

It appears that Elizabeth, age 17, is in charge of all her siblings with no sign of either parent which is why I thought the reference to father in the occupation column could be important.

All suggestions gratefully recieved.

Christine