Author Topic: Her father's what? COMPLETED with thanks  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Her father's what?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 June 09 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

If you didn't want us to answer, you shouldn't have asked  :D :D

Does your friend have any birth certificates to be sure that the parents are James and Elizabeth, or young James' marriage cert showing father's name and occupation?

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 June 09 16:51 BST (UK) »

If you didn't want us to answer, you shouldn't have asked :D :D

No! please keep on answering  ;D

As far as I can remember the earliest cert. she has for this family is the marriage cert. for Eliza, young James' daughter.  That's where we got the occupation of mariner from.  Then we found the family in various census returns until we got back to Suffolk and his childhood.

She hasn't really had time to order new certs and all the events in Northumberland we will try to obtain from parish records to save some cash.  It really is early days on this project but I reckoned that if I didn't ask about this 'father' thing now it might get overlooked later.

Christine

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 June 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
Only joking Christine   :)

So you have James' daughter's marriage cert, but no real proof that the family you posted below is his?  There is another James in 1841 in Suffolk with father James and mother Sarah, have you considered that, or do you know that he had the siblings listed below?  You say there's another James and Elizabeth  but I can't see them, just James and Sarah
Would you like to post the census ref?

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 June 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

First the census ref for the other James and Elizabeth - HO 107/1029/7.  They have children ranging from 11 to 3 which is why I decided that they were not compatible with the children with the missing parents.

As for how certain I am that this is 'our' young James - I'm not - yet.  I am as sure as it is possible to be that we have the right man in later census records when he is in Northumberland as there is continuity from one to another in ages, children etc.  Also there is no competition for this surname in the area we are looking at.  James gives his place of birth in all of them as Carlton.

IGI (extracted) shows two James Durrants in Carlton Colville born about three years apart - one has parents George and Sarah and they can be found on '41.  The one we are looking at has been earmarked as a possible simply because of the recurrance of family names and it is intended that this should be 'filed' for now  until we gather more of the Northumberland information.

Before we do that though I was curious as to the reference to the father because it could indicate that he was still alive and somewhere else, so far undiscovered.

Christine

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 June 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
The other couple I found were at Kessingland, not far from Carlton
James and Sarah Durrant with children including a James born c.1828
HO107  Piece 1030  Book3  Folio 4 page 3

Barbara  :)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 June 09 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that   :) - I'll have a look

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 00:20 BST (UK) »
Just a final note to say thanks to all who contributed ideas and suggestions.

A number of James Durrants have now been collected and will be filed pending more info.

If this one does turn out to be the right one I suspect Malster might be a good start.

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Her father's what? COMPLETED with thanks
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 June 09 00:14 BST (UK) »
A final, final comment  ;D  to say that we've been to Northumberland archives today, found young James' marriage - father James, occupation MALSTER.

C

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Re: Her father's what? COMPLETED with thanks
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 June 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
My eyesight must be better than I thought :)

I don't need glasses just yet then

Rosemary