Author Topic: Unusual causes of death  (Read 40717 times)

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual causes of death
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
My lot must be accident prone. ::)

Attacked by cows in paddock (lived)
Slipped off wharf hit head and drowned
Kicked in head by horse died 3 months later
Arm jammed in rock crushing belt, died soon after.
Little two year old.. drunk acid, died within half a hour :-[
Teething :o

Suzy W

TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 09:36 GMT (UK) »
I have death certs for twin girls who died 4 days apart in 1899 from Marasmus Exhaustion. The second child died on the day her sister was buried.
Not so much unusual as very sad.

I've had baptisms where the child has been baptised the day the mother was buried (obviously having died in childbirth)

Willow xx
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
From my great-aunt's memoirs:

John [Simons], and in his family the ‘tragic death’ certainly ruled. He died on the night of his eldest daughter’s wedding to Moneykyrle. A bridesmaid’s muslin dress caught fire and in putting it out he died. Ada Moneykyrle’s two baby sons were left by their governess playing by the banks of the Severn when she went to the house for a moment; when she came back they were drowned. Kyrle Simons in service in India rode 200 miles to greet his wife coming down from the hills, reined up outside the station and dropped dead. They were a most unlucky family.

The "baby sons" wasn't quite true, as they were 11 and 17 at the time; I've confirmed Kyrle's death; John's not yet confirmed from the records. But her last sentence rings true!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I have death certs for twin girls who died 4 days apart in 1899 from Marasmus Exhaustion. The second child died on the day her sister was buried.
Not so much unusual as very sad.
Just looked up what marasmus is - says malnutrition.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I've had baptisms where the child has been baptised the day the mother was buried (obviously having died in childbirth)
Willow xx

I have a cousin who was bought up by our grandparents because his mother died in childbirth, very sad.
Griff

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Just looked up what marasmus is - says malnutrition.
The twin's mother was 41 when she had them and had a daughter at the end of the previous year which survived, perhaps the twins were premature and couldn't feed. they were 14 and 18 days old at death.
Griff

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Another Tragic death in the family was a great aunt's son (can never work out what relationship to me he would have been)
on the death cert it says misadventure, knocked down by a train while walking on the Permanent Way.
As it was 1942 and he was a soldier on leave it makes me wonder what he must have been through.
Griff

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 14:55 GMT (UK) »
One of my mum's cousins was killed walking his dog by the tracks - the dog was still sat by him when they found him. Their son died young and his wife later drank herself to death poor lady

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 15:02 GMT (UK) »
One of my mum's cousins was killed walking his dog by the tracks - the dog was still sat by him when they found him. Their son died young and his wife later drank herself to death poor lady

Willow x
Thats so sad, this genealogy lark has certainly been an eye opener since I started. 
Griff