Author Topic: Lt Col Andrew McDowall (McDouall) of Logan  (Read 24636 times)

Offline CobaltBlue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lt Col Andrew McDowall (McDouall) of Logan
« on: Monday 15 June 09 13:04 BST (UK) »
Has anyone studied the background of Lt Col Andrew McDowall, former MP for Wigtownshire, who died 1834 at Logan?

His known legitimate children with his wife Mary Russell were (I believe) James (b. 1796), Charlotte (b. 1798) and John Andrew (b. 1805)

Andrew McDowall’s will of 1838 refers to a marriage contract with his wife Mary Russell (dated 1808, after the birth of their children), and includes much legal language about ensuring his son James is recognised at his eldest legitimate son.

I would be very grateful if anyone has discovered any ‘illegitimate’ offspring of Lt Col Andrew McDowall.  I have a suspicion that my ggg grandfather was one of them, but can’t yet prove it and so have hit the proverbial brick wall.

Many thanks in advance
ROE - Ugthorpe/Egton/Glaisdale - North Yorkshire
ROE - Langley Park/Esh/Witton Gilbert - Co Durham
REILLY - Langley Park/Esh/Sacriston - Co Durham
REILLY - Co Monaghan - Ireland

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lt Col Andrew McDowall (McDouall) of Logan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 June 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
Is this the man to whom you are refering?

Mr Andrew McDouall
December 7, 1758 - May 3, 1834

Constituencies   1. Wigtownshire July 27, 1802 - April 15, 1805

Have you read all of the related papers in the NAS index?

This might be related to the terms in the will:

Reference     GD45/17/1205
MS. and printed papers, including letters, concerning an action of declarator of marriage and legitimacy at the instance of Andrew McDouall of logan and James McDouall, his eldest son, against the Countess of Dalhousie and others
1832-1836

if so then this may be related also
GD135/1738
Copy minute for Andrew McDouall [McDowall] of Logan and James McDouall, his eldest son, in process of declarator against Christian Brown of Coalstoun [Colstoun], Countess of Dalhousie, and others, with printed record in action, 1833.
3/7/1832

From http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/fencibles/c_fencibles2.html

The Breadalbane Fencibles 2nd Battalion  under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Andrew McDouall of Logan existed from  1 March 1793 - 18 April 1799 and was located in Ireland.

With regard to his children the IGI has 2 entries, both with parents Andrew McDowell/Macdowall and Mary Russell/Russel.

Charlotte was christened in Cumberland, England 13th November 1798
John Andrew was christened in Cumberland, England 12th October 1805

Just so people don't spend time hunting in Scotland.

Do you believe the illegitimate offspring to have been born in Scotland or England? Do you have any further details that could be used to verify/disprove your theory?

Kirsty

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline CobaltBlue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 09 16:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to KirstyG for the comprehensive reply.

This is indeed the Andrew McDowall to whom I refer.

The story of my ggg grandfather William McDowall is rather long and complex.  The short version is, he was probably born in Scotland around 1796, became a ‘philosophical’ (scientific) instrument maker in Edinburgh, and was active in this trade in the 1820s/1830s.

He married Clementina M Smith (daughter of the Darnley Bleachfields proprietor Robert Smith) in 1835. Whilst in Edinburgh, they had two children, Jessie Ainslie and Robert.

In 1839, the family embarked on the first official settlers ship (Bengal Merchant) from Glasgow to Wellington, New Zealand.  Other children followed.  William died in NZ in 1883, his age quoted variously as 81 and 87.

The suspicion that he may be one of Lt Col Andrew McDowall’s children is based on the following:

•   William didn’t disclose his age to his immediate family.
•   Referred to himself as “of Logan”.
•   Owned a copy of the “Laws of Scotland” written by the famous Scottish lawyer Andrew McDowall (Lord Bankton) – telling Jessie and the other children that the lawyer was their uncle (more likely their gg uncle). If true, this would make it the correct McDowall line
•   A surviving family letter refers to his brother James, who died in Scotland in 1872, aged 76. A search on Scotlandspeople shows this may have been Lt Col Andrew McDowall’s son and heir James.
•   His daughter’s name Jessie Ainslie does not come from the Smith side, so is perhaps William’s mother’s name

Flimsy evidence I know, but as I say, it is only a suspicion

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
The story of my ggg grandfather William McDowall is rather long and complex.  The short version is, he was probably born in Scotland around 1796, became a ‘philosophical’ (scientific) instrument maker in Edinburgh, and was active in this trade in the 1820s/1830s.

Oh him again ;) I should have put two and two together really shouldn't I?

Other threads involving him
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,363022.msg2392280.html#msg2392280

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,363014.msg2392239.html#msg2392239

How certain are you of the date and place of birth you gave in the other thread?
I should point out from what little I have seen on Andrew McDowall for all he represented Wigtownshire as an MP he seems to have spent very little time there. Most of his letters in the NAS seem to be in respect of his various properties or constituency business.

Is it possible that William was related to that McDowall family, but through another member? Just trying to keep an open mind. 
The Countess of Dalhousie mentioned in the papers was the daughter of a McDowall, so there could be another branch of the family to explore there.

It might be worth starting with the eminent lawyer in the early 1700s and working forward to see if the family lines do meet up. Let me know if you want any help :)

You never know this line may meet up with my McDowalls somewhere...

Kirsty

Offline CobaltBlue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 07:07 BST (UK) »
Since posting my request, I have done a Google search on ‘The Scottish Jurist’ and ‘Countess of Dalhousie’ which brought to light an 1837 legal case summary which provides considerable background on Andrew McDowall and the legitimacy of his sons with wife Mary Russell.  Tantalizingly, it also mentions other (unnamed) children, born in England, seemingly prior to his liaison with Mary.  As Mary was apparently 17 or 18 when she met Andrew McDowall (he was aged around 38), it seems likely (though not impossible) that the ‘other children’ were of a different mother(s).

Andrew’s father (according to Burkes Peerage and Gentry) was John McDowall (m. Helen Buchan). John had a sister Isabel and a brother Patrick (b. 10 Feb 1727 at Logan). If ‘my’ William McDowall is not the illegitimate son of Andrew, then it is possible that he is from Patrick’s line. However, I have been unable to find any information relating to this Patrick.

Going back a further generation brings me to Andrew’s grandfather John (m. Anna Johnstone), and his brothers, the lawyer Andrew McDowall (Lord Bankton), and Patrick. Despite Lord Bankton’s four or five marriages, he remained, according to the records, childless. Patrick however (spouse unknown) produced a son John (of Culgroat) and two daughters.  I have been unable to find any information relating to this John of Culgroat

In summary, I seem to have the choice of

•   Lt Col Andrew McDowall’s ‘illegitimate’ English offspring
•   The line (if any) of Andrew’s uncle Patrick
•   The line (if any) of John of Culgroat

Any of these options is still in keeping with William telling his children about the ‘Laws of Scotland’ book written by ‘your uncle McDowall’. There is also the fact to remember that William had a brother James (presumably full, not half), who died in 1872, aged 76

If anyone has the time and/or inclination to shed further light on my ‘William problem’, I would be very grateful

Many thanks

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:03 BST (UK) »
If you search the NAS for Culgroat it gets 6 hits. A couple of these are Wills which contain names and relationships in the summaries. Should get you started.

eg GD141/350

In a Crown Signature to Andrew McDowell younger of Logan only son of John McDowell of Logan and Bankton by the deceast Mrs. Helen Buchan his spouse, the following substitutes are named.

(1) Sarah McDowell sister of the said John McDowell of Logan, niece of deceast Andrew McDowell Lord Bankton
and wife of deceast Charles Hamilton of Creichlaw.
(2) Isabel McDowell sister of said John McDowell of Logan and spouse of Mr. Andrew Adair of Ganoch minister of
Whithorn.
(3) Heirs male of deceast Patrick McDowell late of Culgroat advocate, cousin of the said Lord Bankton.
(4) Heirs male of deceast James McDowell merchant in Edinburgh, cousin of said Lord Bankton.
(5) Charles McDowell late of Creichan advocate, cousin to said Lord Bankton    

Kirsty

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
The Patrick McDowall you mentioned b 1727 would have been the son of John McDowall and Ann Johnston, I did think it seemed a bit far back for them to have been brothers. He would have been the uncle of Andrew.
There is a christening in the IGI for 14th Feb 1727 with those parents. (under Patrick Mcdoual)

There was a Charles Mcdouall b 1709 to Patrick Mcdouall and Elizabeth Martin in Edinburgh, given the names it could be a relation.

Edit - ignore me being stupid and misreading your post, sorry getting my generations mixed up already.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
From scotsfind:
http://www.scotsfind.org/databases_free/EdinburghMarriageRegister1701-1750.pdf

"M'Dowall(M'Douale/M'Dowall/M'Dowal) of Crichan, Patrick, younger; Mrs Elizabeth Martine, d. of Robert M. of Burnbrae, 2 Mar 1701, m. 20 Mar 1701"

Issue: (IGI extracted)
Robert 1704
Charles 1709
Alexander 1715
Isobell 1718
Patritia 1723

There is a will on Scotland's People for Patrick McDouall  of Crichan WS from 1734, 10 pages with lots of stuff.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
Bell McDowall married Andrew Adair 14th July 1747 Kirkmaiden by Drumore, Wigtown [IGI extracted]

"Mr Andrew ADAIR Min.[ister] at Whithorn to Isabella (Bell) MCDOWALL were married 14th July 1747 "

Transcription of MI of Sarah McDowall wife of Charles Hamilton can be found here:
http://www.ayrshirepast.com/people/view/1449-william-charles-hamilton/
begins "HERE
IS INTERRED THE BODY OF SARAH McDOWALL
SPOUSE TO CHARLES HAMILTON ESQ. OF CRAICHLAW
WHO DIED 24TH OF MARCH 1760 AGED 48 YEARS"

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/1684/intro.html
Lots of McDowalls in all their wonderous spelling variances (search for "dow") including some of this family.

Some other people have evidently been researching bits of this family before
http://genforum.genealogy.com/adair/messages/5981.html

http://genforum.genealogy.com/adair/messages/5959.html

Just remember - Check your sources! This one looks to be a bit of a minefield...

Kirsty