Author Topic: 1851 Wisbech Census  (Read 10815 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Wisbech Census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 00:10 BST (UK) »
OK Gemma let me know if you find any more names requiring look-ups.

Goodnight.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beebee123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Wisbech Census/ Pilot Teed.
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemma, David & Selina,
I'm new to this site so hope I'm doing things right. I am so pleased to find someone with Pilot Teed connections - what a mystery family!!
My maiden name is SEAMAN
daughter of Walter Edward Seaman (B: Custom House, West Ham, 1904) and Elizabeth Cross (nee Eddon)
son of Samuel James Seaman (B: Plaistow, West Ham, 1876) and Mary Ann Jane (nee Cannon)
son of William Henry Seaman (B: c1836 Wisbech St. Peter) and Mary Ann (nee Smith) Married: Wisbech St. Peter 1862.
Here the fun starts!
William Henry Seaman, B:c1836 is the illegitimate 
son of Ann Seaman . She was Bapt. Aug. 1817 at St. Peters, Wisbech. Daughter of Daniel Seaman and Eleanor (nee King)
1837 Marriage cert.: " by banns in the parish of Wisbech St. Peter, 7th Sept. 1837. William Teed. 21yrs. Bach. Porter, of Timber Market, Wisbech St. Peter. Father: William Teed, Wisbech St. Peter, Porter and Ann Seaman, 20yrs, spinster of Timber Market, Wisbech, Father: Daniel Seaman, of Wisbech St. Peter, fishmonger. Witnesses: Thomas King and Rebecca Smith. (one assumes therefore that William Henry B1836 is their son)
1841 Census Wisbech show Ann with 10mth old son, Alfred George Teed, at Clements Place, Cambridge. St. Clements. Her other 2 children, ie. William Teed (5) and Margaret Teed (3) are at Norfolk St.West, Wisbech with their grandparents Daniel & Eleanor Seaman, and their sons Henry, Daniel and James Seaman.
Daug. Margaret Ann Teed was B:November 1837, Wisbech St. Peter.Certificate states: " Father: William Henry Teed, a porter. Mother Mary Ann Teed formerly Seaman,informant: Ellen Seaman, aunt to child, Timber Market, Wisbech.' The 1851 census gives Margarets birth place as Wolsoken, Norfolk.
1841 Census at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambs, lists " William Teed, 25yrs. Pt.servant, born in this country." I have checked with Addenbrookes archives and they confirm he was a patient but unfortunately they do not have actual patient records for that period.
1851 census at Norfolk St. West, Wisbech lists Ann Teed , a widow 32yrs living with her family and widowed father Daniel Seaman. William Henry Teed had died between 1841 & 1851.
1854. (Marriage cert)11th December. Parish of St. Marks Old Town, London. Ann Teed widow married Pilot Teed, Mariner, His father Samuel Teed, a sawyer, her father Daniel Seaman a fishmonger. I am delighted to have details of Pilot's baptism - thank you! Like you I have traced subsequent census records and his descendants etc,  'up North' and find another spooky connection with more recent family - that's another story!
My problem is "am I a Seaman or a Teed??" I presume 'Teed' (by paternal blood line) especially as my g.g.g'dad, William Henry's marriage certficate to Mary Ann Smith, Feb 1862 at Wisbech  states William Seaman, 26yr. bach. labourer of Poplar, co.Middsx. Father: William Teed Seaman, late of Wisbech, Porter.!! The word ' Seaman' looks to have been an afterthought.
I go to London, Kew, etc., next week and hope to trace Pilot's merchant navy records.I think he was actually at sea on 1861 Census - listed as 'Samuel' Tidd - perhaps he was Samuel Pilot Teed like his son Can anyone tell me what relation Pilot was to William Henry - Ann Seaman's first husband?? If there is anything I can look-up at London in this connection let me know.
Sorry to be so 'long-winded' but it's a very complicated family and this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Barbara

Offline Gemerald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 October 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Barbara,
Thank you for your reply.
Lovely to hear from someone who is reseaching the same family!
Pilate/Pilot Teed and Ann Seaman are my Great X4 Grandparents.

I dont mind "long winded" at all, since you seem to have discovered a lot of information that i havent!
I had found Ann Teed and George on the 1841 in Cambridge, but hadnt located William, Her husband. The reason for her being in Cambridge is perhaps more obvious knowing that her husband was a patient in a hospital there.

I haven't been able to locate Pilate/Pilot on the 1851 or 1861 census, but i am interested in your theory that he was at sea as Samuel Tidd. It certainly seems like a possibility.

I haven't gone down the route of looking for Pilate/Pilots naval records either, so would be very interested t hear if you find anything.

I have looked, but so far have found no definite connection between William Henry Teed and Pilate/Pilot Teed.

My assumption is that yes William Henry Teed was the father of William Henry Seamn... it would seem a huge co-inceidence that Ann married someone of the same name as her child so soon after his birth!

Gemma

Lincolnshire: Myatt, Fisher
Scotland: Grosert, Collins, Muirhead
Italy: Bafico

Offline beebee123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 October 09 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, Gemma, yes it is great to be in touch and able to share family info.. Are you originated from - Teed or Seaman? Gosh they really are complicated.
When I visited Kew in March I checked the 1911 census (free!) to find my grandparents. Samuel James Seaman was at the address in Darlington where I use to visit as a child but it took me a while to find his wife, Mary Ann Jane, and their youngest son. Imagine my astonishment to find them as "a visitor" at Haswall with Walter Cooper and his wife Ellen.   Ellen Cooper (age 28ys. B: Sunderland ,on 1911 census) was Ellen, nee Bateman, daughter of Charlotte Bateman (nee Teed)and THE GRANDAUGHTER OF ANN TEED (Teed/Seaman)!! Gosh, that was spooky!
My eldest daughter and I go to London (just for research) twice a year - Colindale, Metropolitan Archives, S.O.G & Kew. At the moment I am 'up to the eyes' in paperwork in preparation for next week. When I get back I will be in touch again and see if I can fill you in more and hopefully some info on Merchant Navy though that is a complicated research area and I have already spent 2 full days delving into the records at Kew for our Pilot, with very little success. You would think with a name like 'Pilot' it would be easy!
Do keep in touch and let me know which side of the family you belong.
Best Wises.
Barbara

Offline Gemerald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 October 09 15:53 BST (UK) »
Barbara,
Yes, i have visited Kew for the 1911 as well....In fact i have a copy of Walter and Ellen Cooper census, and was wondering if the Seaman visitors were relatives!
I am the Great X3 Granddaughter of Charlotte Ann Teed (Bateman), Ellen Bateman (Cooper) was my great great grandmothers (Isabella Jane Bateman) sister.
Yes, you would imagine that a Pilot wouldnt be that hard to trace!

Gemma

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 October 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Do you think this could be your Pilot?

England and Wales Criminal Registers Cambridgeshire 1847
Isle of Ely Sessions 20 October 1847

Pilot Teed aged 20 tried for Larceny and sentenced to one month imprisonment.

Selina

Offline beebee123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 October 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina - Well that's very interesting - could be just the man we are looking for - Thank you!
It is certainly a mystery family - where do you fit into it?
Am just preparing last minute bits for London - have to leave home before 5 a.m. tomorrow- I will be back at end of next week and hope to have filled in some gaps.
Thanks again. Good to hear from you. Will be in touch shortly.
Barbara

Offline Gemerald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 October 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
Selina,
Thanks for the info, yes i suspect that could be our Pilot. He is certianly turning out to be an interesting character!

Gemma

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 October 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes interesting by name and interesting by nature your Pilot!

Barbara - I don't fit into the family at all, just take an interest in the Cambridgeshire board as have a few records etc. , and its my area of interest.

Selina