Author Topic: Henry Samuel-Chelsea  (Read 976 times)

Offline cindylou

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry Samuel-Chelsea
« on: Friday 25 February 05 00:37 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information of my GGrandfather, Henry Lucas Samuel(s). His bible states he was born in Chelsea in 1839 and arrived in San Francisco, California in 1863. Family names may include Lionel and Hubert. He alluded to his family being well off. He was alienated from his family, as well, if this helps.

Thanks,
Cindy
McCready(Aghadowey, Londonderry; Woolwich, London; West Ham, Essex);Samuel(Chelsea, London; Edinburgh,Scotland), Caffrey(Balloughly, Cavan); Budden(Stafford, Staffordshire; Rugby, Warwickshire); Lambert(Birmingham, Warwickshire; Rugby) Warwickshire)

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Samuel-Chelsea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 05 01:38 GMT (UK) »
HI
The 1841 is not indexed - don't suppose apart from 'Chelsea' it happend to give the actual address that we could check for you?
Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline cindylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 05 02:02 GMT (UK) »
No, it only said Chelsea. Birthdate was 10, October. He supposedly was a licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians in London circa 1860. However, I have tried the rolls there and found nothing. Of course they are based on the physician dying in England, which Henry did not. There was also a family rumor that he may have been a surgeon in the Royal Navy and jumped ship.

Thanks,
Cindy
McCready(Aghadowey, Londonderry; Woolwich, London; West Ham, Essex);Samuel(Chelsea, London; Edinburgh,Scotland), Caffrey(Balloughly, Cavan); Budden(Stafford, Staffordshire; Rugby, Warwickshire); Lambert(Birmingham, Warwickshire; Rugby) Warwickshire)

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 05 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Not finding anything for him in 1851 which is only a partial index and in 1861 also partial - there is one but he is only 18?
Tried IGI and not on there.
Do you have his parents names and who were Lionel & Hubert?
Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 February 05 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information of my GGrandfather, Henry Lucas Samuel(s). His bible states he was born in Chelsea in 1839 and arrived in San Francisco, California in 1863. Family names may include Lionel and Hubert. He alluded to his family being well off. He was alienated from his family, as well, if this helps.

Thanks,
Cindy

Cindy

I have checked the complete 1851 Census Index for Chelsea, but I couldn't find a listing for a Henry SAMUEL(S) I'm afraid.

You might want to think about ordering his birth certificate.  You would first need the reference from the GRO indexes.  These can be viewed at any LDS Family History Centre worldwide.  They are also available online on a pay to view basis at 1837 online.  http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/  1837 online also has a complete 1861 index for London and Middlesex.  There is also an incomplete but free indexing project at FreeBMD http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl  I have had a quick look at the latter but I cannot see an entry for Henry. 

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cindylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 February 05 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies Cougar and Rick. You guys are great. I don't know his parent's names, that is one of the things I am trying to find. Also, I am not even positive that the dates I have are correct. There is conflicting information I am afraid. This man was elusive. I have all the maternal side down, but not his family. I threw out the Lionel and Hubert as those were the names of his sons, thinking maybe they were family names (they aren't names on the maternal side of my family). Hubert was my Grandfather...Hubert Lucas Samuel(s). Henry's daughters were Henrietta Ambrosine, Anne Imogen, and Emma(named for her maternal Grandmother). Thanks anyway. Maybe he was running away, I was told he was disowned by his family for leaving England, and made up a new persona. Just wierd about the bible. Also, he practiced medicine in the US so he got some kind of training. The date in the bible says his BD was 1839 but also says he was 31 when he married in 1872...doesn't work. I am throwing everything I can think of just in case something clicks for someone about a family story or something. Chat later.

Best,
Cindy

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 06 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm doing a bit of housekeeping and wondering if this older request has been resolved in the meantime or you are still looking for the information?  If the latter, do you have any further information to hand?

If I don't hear from you in a while I'll assume this is resolved and move it to the 'completed' section.

Regards
Biker  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cindylou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 06 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year, Biker

Thank you for the query. Unfortunately I have had no resolution or even tidbits of info. I have nothing new to throw your way except the names Ambrosine, Imogen and Ann. These are more possible family name. As he was running away, the Chelsea and birthdates may be ficticious...don't know. I really appreciate that you all tried. Thanks. Any suggestions would be happily received.

Best,
Cindy