Author Topic: 1851 Census Talgarth William Powell COMPLETED with thanks  (Read 12483 times)

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Talgarth William Powell
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 June 09 10:39 BST (UK) »
Ricky.
Really interesting link to the maps, I ve not seen that before, I can spot the motte and bailey on  this one, `tumulus` so it looks like the Hall is just below the name  Tredustan.

Hi Wilcoxon

This is the home page for the site, you can get some interesting info on it

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/Default.aspx

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 June 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
If you look at that aerial posted by wilcoxon, Pentwyn is in the lower group of houses, right-hand side of road, the southernmost building.  These buildings appear to have been built around the motte and bailey - if you look carefully on the aerial you can just about make out the'tump' above the group of buildings.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 June 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi greensleeves, that is such a help as I want to go and have a look tomorrow, and it doesn't look quite so suspicious if you know where you are supposed to be looking rather than driving up and down slowly past peoples homes!

MarMnkly  :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 June 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Don't worry too much, Mar - that area is full of tourists driving up and down in a confused manner because they've taken the wrong turning for Llangorse Lake!  Best of luck with the hunt,
Regards,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Talgarth William Powell COMPLETED with thanks
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 June 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)
thanks to everyone who joined in this discussion and has given census, photographic and map links.
I have been on my travels today [up a very very windy narrow lane] and now know what Pentwyn, Tredustan looks like.
Bizzarely, of of my aunts knows the family in the house opposite - and used to live along the lane towards Tredomen!

I think I've wrapped this one up now

thanks again

MarMnkly :) :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk