Author Topic: Real tricky decyphering Rqd Complete Thanks  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Real tricky decyphering Rqd Complete Thanks
« on: Tuesday 16 June 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi All

This is from the 1851 cencus. I asked for a better copy but they say thay cant on the 1851 at this time for conservation reasons and severe fading. I can make out little bits of it but not enough. I'm really interested in the last column, Where Born, on the 2nd and 3d line from the top. I have an idea what they might say but cant be sure.

Thanks
David
WILSON - Glasgow + New Monklands + Renfrew. INNES - Govan + Grangemouth + Aberdeen. McBRIAR - Holytown + Belfast. ANTHONY - Linlithgow + Edinburgh. NEILSON - Govan + Bulaweyo. HOWAT - Banff. WALLACE - Argyll. FERGUSON - Glasgow. SINCLAIR - Dunoon. STEVENSON - Edinburgh. SCHUBACK - Germany. LYON - Argyll + Aberdeen. RAE - Aberdeen. MORRISON - Banff? GRANT - Banff. MUNROE - Banff. CRAWFORD - Argyll.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Real tricky decyphering Rqd
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 23:57 BST (UK) »
Renfrew

Wigtown, Stoneykirk

Not sure of thirdline - will make it darker  Lanark,  Monkland

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 00:06 BST (UK) »
If it helps, an 1851 index gives Renfrew,  Stoneykirk Wigton, and New Monkland, Lanark

Yours will be more accurate though, Gadget

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 00:11 BST (UK) »
Bangs head off wall.... Thats what I thought too. I cant find her in Stoneykirk. Oh well back to the drawing board aka S.P.

Bows head and touches cap to you both

David
WILSON - Glasgow + New Monklands + Renfrew. INNES - Govan + Grangemouth + Aberdeen. McBRIAR - Holytown + Belfast. ANTHONY - Linlithgow + Edinburgh. NEILSON - Govan + Bulaweyo. HOWAT - Banff. WALLACE - Argyll. FERGUSON - Glasgow. SINCLAIR - Dunoon. STEVENSON - Edinburgh. SCHUBACK - Germany. LYON - Argyll + Aberdeen. RAE - Aberdeen. MORRISON - Banff? GRANT - Banff. MUNROE - Banff. CRAWFORD - Argyll.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Real tricky decyphering Rqd Complete Thanks
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi David

What was her maiden name?  have you tried looking for her as Jean? Have you looked on  the Wigtownshire Pages:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/index.html

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

I have her as Jean and Jane Little, born around 1807/9.  I have her marr cert 1837 to Alexander Wilson, no info on any parents. I have her death cert 1881 parents names unknown. I have her on the 1861 cencus which says she was born in Stoneykirk Wigtown but this is the only ref I have to there and I cant find her there.... YET..

David

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 01:27 BST (UK) »
In 1871, I think she is still in New Monkland Landward: Craigend - 651/2 ED 1 Page 7.

It looks as if Alexander is dead and she is listed as 58,  a Farmer of 100 acres All arable and born Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire.

58 = DoB 1813ish.

Added - there don't seem to be any female Little baptisms in Stoneykirk 1790-1820 on SP. I'm not sure of the state of the OPRs for that period in that parish  :-\  Her family might also have been non-C of Scotland.

Gadget

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 19:00 BST (UK) »
I've now got her with Alexander and the children on the...
1841 cencus New Monkland, age 30,
the 1851 aged 44,
the 1861 aged 51 still with Alexander, he died 1867/68
and you have her on the 1871 aged 58.

And of course her death cert from 1881 aged 73.

So she was born in Stoneykirk in 1807, 1808, 1810, 1811 and 1813.
And of course the family may not have been C. of S.

How I love geneaology.

Do I pull my hair out now or bang my head on the wall first?

David

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
Don't worry, David. I, and many cousins,  have been trying to find my Burgess/Spalding/Carson/Wilson crowd in Kirkcudbrightshire  since the 1930s* and we all come to the same brick wall  :-\ :'(

Gadget

* well, I have since the 1950s  ::)