Author Topic: Ruddy Family, Hill St, Killala*completed, thanks*  (Read 7126 times)

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ruddy Family, Hill St, Killala*completed, thanks*
« on: Thursday 18 June 09 09:36 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of the Ruddy family who lived in Hill Street in Killala in the 1850s.  My ancestor is Patrick Ruddy who married Bridget McHale.  Their son (also named Patrick and born in about 1840 in Killala) emigrated to Australia and settled in Queensland.  Has anyone compiled any ancestry on the Ruddy family of Killala?  Thanks.

Offline iorrais

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ruddy Family, Hill St, Killala
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 09 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have Ruddy and McHale in my family tree also.  My grandmother was Ruddy and she had cousins who were McHales.  My crowd are based in a small village called Muingingaun, near Bangor erris, but they also had cousins in Killala by the name of Ruddy.  Just starting on that side of my family tree but if I find anything I will let you know.

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ruddy Family, Hill St, Killala
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 09 08:31 BST (UK) »
iorrais,

Thanks for the post.  I have sent you a separate personal message by email.  It does sound as if we may have some common ancestry.  It would be great to follow through if you have the time and you have assembled more on the Ruddy family.  I have some Australian data on the Ruddy family after they settled in Queensland.  My guess is that they settled in about 1870 or perhaps a little earlier.         

Belconnen   

Offline KillalaRuddy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ruddy Family, Hill St, Killala*completed, thanks*
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 April 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
The author of Ruddy Family, Hill St, Killala may wish to correspond with an Irish relative- my great, great grandfather John Ruddy was Patrick's brother.

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
I am the author of the "Ruddy Family, Hill Street, Killala".  Thank you for contacting me through this forum.  I will send you a private message.

Offline kvruddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I have a DNA hit to a Ruddy who has an ancestor John Ruddy born in 1884 in Killala.  Is this person in your family tree?  Would love to share info about him, if you do.

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hello kvruddy.  Nice to make your acquaintance.  Yes, there is a John Ruddy in the family tree but the only details I have show that he was born many years before 1884.  The John I have was a brother to my own ancestor, Patrick.  Beyond that I do not have any other detail.  My guess is that the first name John is handed down through branches of the family.  There is a publication about the Ruddys and it contains details of Killala and surrounds.  I will try to send you details privately.  My guess is that you and I may be related as distant cousins but I am unable to confirm that.  I confined my own family history to the line of direct descendants so as not to upset anyone in the extended family tree by getting details mixed up.  My Ruddy ancestors were free settlers in Australia and they were hard working people but who retained a wonderful sense of humour.

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 18 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again kvruddy.  I am open to correction but you may have to have 3 posts on this website before I can send you a private message.  If you reply to this post we can exchange some general details.  I have visited Killala and I am reasonably confident that I have my direct line identified.  I started my research in 2009.  I am, however, always open to further guidance or correction and to learn more details.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 18 08:35 BST (UK) »
Just in case not already covered in research so far, there's a 1909 story in Irish newspapers about a court case involving Ruddys in Killala, including mention of a Patrick Ruddy who died intestate in 1870, daughters Catherine (m. Patrick Sweeney) and Sarah (m. Richard Mulloy), and a son John who went to Australia, maybe related to the Hill Street folk in some way.