Author Topic: Help Please! Anyone any idea of date?  (Read 6289 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Help Please! Anyone any idea of date?
« on: Friday 19 June 09 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Please could someone help with the date of this photo of my husbands great-grandmother which I have just received from USA.
The lady in the picture was born in 1850.  They had sons in 1874 & 1878, a daughter in 1880, another son in 1883, followed by 2 more daughters in 1886 & 1888.
I have to presume this is one of the sons with one of the daughters but have to try & work out which ones by ages.

Hope someone can help.

Thank You.
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please! Anyone any idea of date?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra...this photo may not be the person you have been told it is...this lady is very fashionable for about 1905, a lovely representation of the skirt/blouse and hairstyle of the early Edwardian years. I'm afraid there's no way this person was born in 1850, and if it's really her, I want some of what she's using to look 30 years younger than she is ;D

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi China,

I have been trying to find out on the Cumberland site about a photographer called J Merhin whose stamp is apparently on the back of this photograph but no luck so far. I've asked long lost cousin in USA to scan the back of the photograph to see if we can unravel the spelling which she wasn't sure about.

So your thoughts are that this was taken about 1905 or that sort of period.  Are the children dressed fashionably for that time ? Is the furniture also in keeping ? Sorry to ask so many questions but I haven't a clue.  This lady died in 1914. The other children they had were both boys in 1891 & 1896 and none of the older ones were married or had children of that age.  Think this is going to be an on going mystery. 
I have seen a photograph of the 2 girls born 1886 & 1888 - they strike a remarkable resemblance to mother.

Many thanks for your thoughts, this is interesting.

Best Wishes.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra :)

Can you scan the photographer's mark?
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra...well, children in general are hard to date but in this case there are a couple of items that are dateable...the little boy is wearing a lace collar that is often seen in photos from around the mid 1900 decade...the girl is wearing boots, and children started wearing shoes around 1910 or so, the mary jane style of children's shoes came out around 1910.

The lady is wearing a very beautiful blouse called a shirtwaist or simply a waist, in the "pouter pigeon" style that really defined the Edwardian look. The furniture, haven't a clue, sorry. But this is very definitely a photo from the mid first decade of the 20th century and not from 20 years or so previously as it would have to be if this lady was born in 1850.

I suggest this might be one of the daughters, grown up and with a family of her own....?

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 June 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

I have e-mailed asking for a scan of the back of the photograph - to try and be more specific on the spelling or any other information that could be lurking.

Best Wishes.
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi China,

Thank you for the information, I am learning something new all the time.

These are the 2 daughters born in 1886 & 1888.  This picture was taken around 1943.
They married in 1909 & 1910 so I am thinking the photograph could not be them because they had no family until later.  Think they bear a resemblance to great-grandmother !

Best Wishes.
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
and the photograph. Sorry.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 09 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have to agree with China on her date & observations.If you wanted to see
a picture that typified the early Edwardian era this would be it.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/