Author Topic: Help Please! Anyone any idea of date?  (Read 6314 times)

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please! Anyone any idea of date?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 June 09 01:07 BST (UK) »
Could it be the daughter who was born in 1880?  It would make her 30 in 1910 which looks about the right age of the lady in the photo.

Rosemary

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 June 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jim & Rosemary. 

This could be the youngest daughter born in 1880 but then who were the children. Hers were born son 1905, son 1912 & daughter 1918 before they left for America.  Have had a few other thoughts.

Presume this would be a studio photograph rather than one taken at home ? Probably expensive to do this at the time so could it have been a special occasion ? What did people wear when they got married ?  Can't really see alot of detail but has the little girl got a flower in her hand and the boy either a handkerchief or flower in his jacket ? I suppose that could be worth a consideration.

Certainly a curious mystery at the moment.

Thanks everyone.
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 June 09 17:27 BST (UK) »
At that time I would expect to see a wedding dress if it were a wedding. At the very least one of those fabulous Edwardian lace dresses the era is so famous for...but not a skirt and blouse no matter how nice the blouse, unless the couple is really impoverished, and then I wouldn't expect to see such nice clothing in the photo.

Also you might have a photo of a bride alone, or a groom alone, or a couple, or a bridal group. But the bride with a couple of flower children is something I haven't come across.

Have you considered it may not be family at all? People gave photos of themselves to friends as well as relatives in bygone times, much more common than it is now.

Just some thoughts...

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 June 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is the back of the postcard with the photographers name.

I had him as J Merhin but it could be something quite different ?

Any ideas.

Thank You.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 June 09 00:47 BST (UK) »
Well, definitely post 1902, as the divided back on postcards came out in Britain in 1902. Prior to that it was illegal to write a message on a postcard, and the entire back was given to the addres.

By the way, have you seen this?
http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/CUMBERLAND/2000-06/0960139139

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 June 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hello China,

Yes, that posting was made by the lady that sent me the postcard.  She went off list for a number of years but I managed to track her down & speak to her by phone in Oregon last November, so we are trying to battle our way through unsolved mysteries together.
It is really intriguing how small snippets like the divide on the back of a postcard can help to try & date something.
So the only contender we have at the moment is the daughter born 1880 who strikes a remarkable ressemblance to the 2 other sisters born 1886 & 1888.  The children are going to remain a mystery for the moment - they could be one of her nieces & a nephew or much younger brother born 1896.

Thank you for the time you have spent trying to help, it is very much appreciated by both of us.

Best Wishes.
Sandra & Lynn

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 25 June 09 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff,

Thats him okay. So the edwardian period was 1901 - 1910.  This could possibly be a year or two after that.
The youngest daughter was 1880 & her son born 1905 with a niece would fit.  Some of the others had already gone to USA.

That would make William J Meckin anything from 23 - 28 at the time.

Excellent, thank you.
Sandra