Author Topic: O'Neill - Master of Lurgan Workhouse  (Read 47632 times)

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Neill - Master of Lurgan Workhouse
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 09 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello diggerdaisy!
Many thanks for your msg.
I am related to your family through James (m. Sarah Balmer) and William (of Liverpool, m. Elizabeth Morton). My grandfather is mentioned in the obit of James as a "relative".
The connection is probably thru James's father, Henry, but todate I have not found any documents.
Can you help? The early 1800's is the problem area.
You will have seen some of my msgs above and the replies. Please you do not abandon me!!
Best regards,
hamlets
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline diggerdaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 November 09 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hamlet
I have the family tree O'Neill's of Fathom, Camlough, Clontigora, Ravensdale, Killeavy and Meigh 16th - 19th century. It ends with  2 sons Owen (d. 1841) and felix (d.1835)
Felix had 1 son Peter
Owen 2 sons John and Henry. I have a feeling this may be my lot due to the names.
Also I had a look at the census that was posted (awesome thankyou) and John and Emma's eldest daughter Elizabeth was always known as Norah. So this tells me we may know an auntie Norah but her name was really Elizabeth wonder how many names are like that.
My grandmother was Emma Balmer I always thought it an odd name now I know she was named after her granny which is pretty wonderful.
I have a few bits about Emma Karr's side too in case anyone checks on here researching that side.
If you would like to email me I will happily scan this tree and email to you.
I have a whole album of photos (all the old plates mostly taken Dublin) Owen and Family in 1841 where all living in Dublin maybe why I have the album. Felix and family living in Maigh-Killeavy in Griffiths survey of 1864.
Am going to try and scan and send a cutting from paper but will send this first in case I loose it again.

Regards Daisy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline diggerdaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 November 09 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hamlets
Me again I just found a Henry who died in 1798 had 2 sons Peter (d.1830) John(d.young) Peter had 2 sons John and Henry no info on them ;;;;
All I can tell you is Peter known as Peter of Clonlum married Alice O'Hanlon dau. of Brain of Clonlum and Peter and Alice buried together in Killeavy.
Hope you can read the attachments

Regards Daisy

Offline diggerdaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 November 09 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hamlet
Sorry won't let me send attachments

daisy

Offline diggerdaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 November 09 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hamlet
See now I am chittering away like a wee bird in the dawn. Is there anyway you could please email the photo on your post

Regards
Daisy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 November 09 13:55 GMT (UK) »
You can send hamlets a PM (personal message) to exchange email addresses, etc. by clicking on small scroll under their user name on left side of their post. See Help pages for more details-
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DesONeile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 May 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
John Henry O'Neile was as far as I know the last Master of the Union Workhose in Lurgan. He and Emma had ten children, five of whom didn't draw their pension, one of them being my father Murray Eugene O'Neile who died in 1971. It so happens that yesterday 29th May 2010 I was standing on the grave plot owned by the workhouse in which, amongst others, are buried, John Henry, his wife Emma, my father Murray Eugene and his wife Aileen Victoria (Simpson - Cookstown) and another Emma O'Neile but due to the semi obliterated inscription I can't tell if she was a daughter or daughter in law of John Henry.
What I know of John Henry, other than him having been a fairly strict disciplinarian, was that he was a bit of an athlete. He played rugby and in 1910 took part in the IAAA championships in Dublin where he won a gold medal for tossing the 56 lbs without follow (22' 10"), a silver for the 220 yds and a bronze for the 100 yds. I have the gold and silver medals but the bronze was lent to a family member and never returned.
I'm told the photo doesn't do him justice and there was more humour in the man than the severe exterior suggests.
John Henry was also a freemason and my Worshipful Master Medal is in fact the one awarded to John Henry and subsequently my father and then me.

Offline DesONeile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 May 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
Mouser,
            I take it your second and third christian names are Aileen Janet?

Offline DesONeile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 May 10 09:47 BST (UK) »
TF13
There is a family connection with Karr. For years I fruitlessly researched a VC awarded to a family member in the Indian Mutiny. Originally I assumed it was to an O'Neile but then was led to believe the recipient was to a man called Carr but in the cemetery at Dollingstown there is at least one grave for a person called Karr. None of these names however show on the official list of VC recipients.