Author Topic: O'Neill - Master of Lurgan Workhouse  (Read 47635 times)

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Neill - Master of Lurgan Workhouse
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Linny 1

Yes - amazing stuff! I will have a look thru my just so-well organised (ha!) archives before composing a reply - doubt if I can tell you much more but you never know. I live in Bangor, Co. Down.
Regards.
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline rachymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 20 January 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I found all these posts tonight and wanted to add my piece. Elizabeth was my grandmother and she married \Arthur McMahon of Milford, co donegal, they had 5 children, the youngest a boy, my father, their names are mary, gladis, Joan, Noreen and Derek. Noreen was the matron at CAI and not Nora as previously stated on her.
I am lucky enough to have a family heirloom which is a jewellery box that had been hand made by henry in the time of the workhouse, its very pretty and i treasure it.
My aunt is a wealth of knowledge about the o neil clan and im sure i could ask her any questions any of you have

Offline diggerdaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 February 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachymac
I am either your 1st cousins twice removed or something like that :)
I have the Karr family photo album if I sent you photos would your aunt be able to tell us who some of them are? Also does she know how Nell who married Tommy Shaw fits into the family. I last saw Nell and Tommy in 1998 and auntie Nell was able to name a few of the people in the photos her mum and brother so she must be related via the Karr side but it was such an exciting evening as she showed me a hankie one of her relatives embroidered and gave to King Billy on the way to the Boyne and he later returned it to her among other fantastic stories that I forget a lot of what was said. Oh another thing I would love to know the O'Neills from Lurgan David. Sam and Sue does your aunt know who their parents where I visited them all my life and have no idea where they fit into the tree.

regards Daisy
Below is the clipping when Tommy died and sorry for typo's byt I am in Aussie and if I have the light on the mossies will chew every bit of flesh left on my legs :) and typing in the dark its a bit hard :)

Last Great War veteran dies at 102
By David Sharrock, Ireland Correspondent 12:01AM GMT 06 Mar 2002

THE last surviving Irishman to have served in the Great War was buried with military honours yesterday.

Thomas "Tommy" Shaw, who was 102, died after a fall last weekend. His wife Eleanor, 94, attended yesterday's funeral in Bangor, Co Down, where a bugler from the Royal Irish Regiment sounded Last Post.

Mr Shaw, born in June 1899, joined the Royal Irish Rifles in January 1916. He was on his way to the front when he was seen by his brother, a military police officer.

Mr Shaw was arrested for lying about his age and sent back to Ireland. In 1916 the official minimum age for service in the front line was 18.

As soon as he reached that age he returned to the battlefields with the 16th Battalion the Royal Irish Rifles and saw action at Ypres, Messines and Passchendaele. During the Second World War Mr Shaw was responsible for meat rationing in Northern Ireland. It was as a civil servant working at Stormont that he met his wife "Nell". They were married for 60 years.

Mr Shaw was buried at Clandeboye cemetery, a Union flag decorated with poppies covering his coffin. A Royal Irish pipe major played the lament Flowers of the Forest.

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 04 February 11 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear diggerdaisy,
You sent me a personal email in which you described me as a "wee treasure".
I hope you don't mind, but I am so enthralled with being called a "wee treasure" that I just simply have to announce - nay, boast -  about this to everyone.
Why, not even my dear mother (bless her laddered stockings) ever called me a "wee treasure". Mind you, she called me many names, some too delicate to be mentioned here.
I do hope that you and racheymac can solve many of the outstandind questions about our connections and that you will keep me advised.
Best regards.

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 03 March 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rachymac,
Am interested in your Reply no. 28 of 20 Jan. In you state that "Elizabeth was my grandmother" who married a McMahon from Donegal.
But it was Annie Beatrice who married a McMahon:-

Year and location from FamilySearch Record Search

Name: Arthur Edwin McMahon Registration District: Millford Event Type: MARRIAGES Registration Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1927 Estimated Birth Year: Age (at Death): Mother's Maiden Name: Film Number: 101576 Volume Number: 2 Page Number: 105 Digital Folder Number: 4199368 Image Number: 00021 Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958

Name: Annie Beatrice O'Neile Registration District: Millford Event Type: MARRIAGES Registration Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1927 Estimated Birth Year: Age (at Death): Mother's Maiden Name: Film Number: 101576 Volume Number: 2 Page Number: 105 Digital Folder Number: 4199368 Image Number: 00024 Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958

Can you set the record striaght for us please? Also, what clan or tribe of O'Neills does your Aunt have lots of info on. I am really stuck on info about O'Neills in south Armagh in the early 1800's.
I was going to ask Daisy about this, but looking at her last Reply (No. 29) she must be legless by now with all those mossies after her.  Am told that the Australian ones are the worst. Of course, when you have lived as long as I have, you will have experienced being legless a few times. These mossies are getting everywhere.
Regards. 

Offline diggerdaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 04 March 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hamlets

The mossies are dying thank goodness :) have a few months now for my legs to grow back :P you are quite right Arthur was married to Annie they lived in the Manse in LetterKenny...Rachymac must have gotten a tad mixed up....Rachymac at a good guess is the child of my 1st cousin once removed (Annie and Arthurs child) I think I remember her from a wedding I went to in Donegal while Arthur was still alive :) who is it you are looking for in Armagh?
Hoping this finds you not too cold it is a little bit chilly here now....... I had to put clothes on to-day it was so cold :)

Daisy

Offline rachymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 04 March 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
The manse was in Milford.

Offline the rebel singer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
John Henry and Emma Rebecca were my grandparents and diggerdaisy will recognise me from my screen name?? She's my 2nd cousin and her grandmother, Emma ( Billie) was my aunt/mother Gladys' sister. Numbers 8 and 9 of the O'Neile clan. All that generation are now dead; not sure about the other halves save one.I have been following the family tree work of several of our clan and am happy to share  what i have if systems allow or through personal message attachments. my mother Gladys died in 2003 and all her photos and letters are kept in bulging files. Paddy died in 2006 I think and her daughter has similar archives. i can fill in a few gaps on previuos posting as time allows but l;ast year I visited 47 High Street Lurgan, now a dentists and also the grave site where I can confirm that the 2nd Emma is diggerdaisy's grandmother. There seems to be a lot of room available for more people in the plot so watch this space I suppose!*! BTW My  father Colin was not a surgeon but the first group hospital administrator when the NHS was set up in 1948 and was very successful to the point that he was administering many hospitals in the south west metropolitan area of southern england by the time of his early death in 1964 - probably why he died so young!*!

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hello rebel singer!
Thank you for your very interesting msg.
Your gt. gt. gndmother was a Jane O'Neill. She lived in Carrickarnan beside Jonesborough and died in 1901. Her husband was probably Henry O'Neill.
I am reasonably certain that my O'Neills are related to yours of Carrickarnan and Newry.
[eg. my grandfather, at the funeral of your gt. gndfather James in Jan 1922 is mentioned as a "relative"].
But at the moment I cannot PROVE this and it is most frustrating.
May I ask what is the scope of the letters etc in your mothers files? Would she have much (any!) info on the early 1800's?
I am glad that you think that diggerdaisy will recognise you. As you can see, she has had some mossie problems (Reply 29 above).
But can it be that cold in OZ for her to have to put some clothes on? Shame.  (Reply 32)
I hope you may have lots of info for me!
Regards