Author Topic: Thomas Bryson Butler look up appreciated  (Read 6335 times)

Offline snootycat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Bryson Butler look up appreciated
« on: Saturday 20 June 09 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hallo,
I would be very grateful if I could trace any details of the following
1) Death of Thomas Bryson Butler.
An Adjustment to his will names his date of death as 20th August 1867. But his last will and testament is dated DECEMBER 1867!
He was visiting Randalstown County Antrim from Scotland when he died. Age at death 47.
His relatives are
John Butler, described as a shopkeeper and farmer, living in Randalstown at the time if Thomas's death.
Rev Hugh Mcintyre Butler resident at the Parish of Magilligan Londonderry
Mary Campbell Butler resident Craigmore County Antrim again in 1867

This is an intriguing family.
Thomas was a merchant in Glasgow. He seems to have had a long term relationship with a woman called Margaret Reid... my great gandmother, I think, havent worked out the greats yet. They had several children. For some reason at the age of 41 (1866) he decided to marry her, but they married at home.
In his will he says he wants to avoid complications after his death and sets up a trust fund for Margaret and the children. His overall estate was 8k, a lot in those days. He states that the money is to provide for Margaret Reid, also known as MRS ROBINSON!
It seems to have been a secret relationship?

The whole set of circumstances is peculiar, he seems to get on with his family but why didnt he marry her before, particularly as his brother was a minister. His brother finally marries them just six months before his death, perhaps Thomas was dying of something like consumption.
Any details of ANY family member mentioned or his parents etc very gratefully received, but we all want to know what he died of, and when!
It looks as though my ancestry comes from Ireland so again any details would be really helpful
Thanks
Pam :-*

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bryson Butler look up appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 09 00:26 BST (UK) »
Magilligan Presbyterian Church: The first minister Samuel Butler, came from Randalstown district, ordained 15 Sept.1814, retired 1851, died 9 Jan.1862.
His nephew Hugh McIntyre Butler, Randalstown 'had been prepared for college by his uncle", came to Magilligan as his assistant, retired 6 Nov.1917, died 29 Oct.1930 (aged almost 104 years old).

Anne Butler, wife of Thomas, died 3 Apr.1862 at Craigmore, Randalstown, aged 68 years.
Elizabeth Butler, wife of Rev. Samuel Butler, Magilligan, died 23 Nov.1850, aged 67 years.
Rev. Samuel Butler died 8 Jan.1862 [according to obituary] at Magilligan, age 83 years.
Thomas Butler died 3 May 1862 at Craigmore, Randalstown, aged 76 years.
William Harper Butler, eldest son of Thomas of Craigmore, died 10 Sept.1865. 

Mary Campbell Butler, 3rd daughter of Thomas of Prospect Hill Randalstown, married 12 June 1868 at Old Presbyterian Church, Randalstown to Charles Henry O. Davidson, Randalstown.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MaggieTag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 09 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,

You will find an entry for the death of a Thomas Bryson Butler on the IGI pilot site for BDM Ireland. It shows that he died in 1867 and the death was registered in Antrim district, which would be right for Randalstown, but the age at death is 42?

You can order a copy of the death cert. from the General Reg. Office, Belfast www.groni.gov.uk - this should give the cause of death.

Mags
Taggart - Ballyrashane, Bushmills,Glenmanus etc County Antrim
Laird - Ballylinney, Ballygallagh, Ballyclare County Antrim
Gillespie - Ballylinney, Ballygallagh, Ballyclare County Antrim
Drain - Glenmanus, Loguestown Co Antrim

Offline snootycat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 09 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks! Thats brilliant. :D I am not familiar with the site for the death.
Do we have a date or something??

How on earth did you find out the other information!
I am impressed.....
I have had to get to grips with the Scottish records as I am English, now Ireland. An I right to assume that they would have come over to Ireland from Scotland at some time to 'increase' Protestantism? The history is interesting......is there a site you sed to find out about the Rev s background??
I will see if I can sort out Thomas's death, he was 42 as he died 6 months after marrying at the age of 41.
Pam

Offline snootycat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 09 11:44 BST (UK) »
I am glad to see that if we are not working in the zinc industry( as one of my ancestors did...died 41) we would live to a good age!!! People seem to have died younger in the towns.
I am knocking on and it gives me cause for hope! ;D

Offline snootycat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 June 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
I have tapped in IGI pilot site DBM Ireland on google but just seem to get stuff about European elections? I will look and see if Ancestry have it.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 June 09 12:06 BST (UK) »
Pam,
       The Rev Samuel butler married Miss Elizabeth Kerr, the daughter of James Kerr of Aughaboy, Randalstown in 1815, and in the same year he rented a farm from John Cust in the townland of Margymonaghan, close to the church.
        His nephew, Hugh McIntyre Butler was the son of Thomas Butler of Randalstown. The Rev Samuel left a bequest to present a medal each year to the boy or girl who attained the highest mark in the senior Sunday school examination in the Presbytery of Limavady. By my day,1950s, a bible was presented in lieu of a medal. It was known as the Butler Memorial Prize.
        I have further information but because of copyright implications I will contact you by PM.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline snootycat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 June 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Offline snootycat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 June 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
Do we know who Hugh Mcintyres father was?
There arent any pics anywhere are there? I dont have a single picture of a non living relative. I think people who have got photos are really lucky,they can see what they looked like.