Author Topic: campbell bro's from N Knadale to Upper CAN  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Chrisjb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
campbell bro's from N Knadale to Upper CAN
« on: Sunday 21 June 09 08:31 BST (UK) »
Looking for any info on my 3rd great gandfather's 5 brothers who emigrated to Canada c 1841.

Christine
New Zealand

1     DUNCAN CAMPBELL      Abt. 1766 TAYNALECKUN NORTH KNAPDALE ARGYLL SCT   Bef. 1851
..      +SARAH GRAHAM   m: 28 Nov 1790 in KILMICHAEL GLASSARY   ARGYL  SCT   1769 KILMICHAEL GLASSARY ARGYLL SCT   Bef. 1851
........   2     ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL      21 Feb 1790 Scotnish NORTH KNAPDALE ARL SCT                  5 brothers emigrated to Upper Canada c 1841
........   2     ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL      12 Aug 1791 Dana NORTH KNAPDALE ARL SCT   
........   2     JOHN CAMPBELL      25 Dec 1791 Scotnish NORTH KNAPDALE SCT   
........   2     PETER CAMPBELL      14 Sep 1794 Arinafadbeg NORTH KNAPDALE ARL SCT   
........   2     NEIL CAMPBELL      Dec 1798 Mill of Scotnish NORTH KNAPDALE ARL SCT   
........   2     DONALD CAMPBELL      Jul 1799 Dana NORTH KNAPDALE ARL SCT   
........   2     DUGALD CAMPBELL      13 Apr 1801 Claihbhan  NORTH KNAPDALE  ARL SCT                  15 Feb 1864 POOR HOUSE  LOCHGILPHEAD  NORTH KNAPDALE  ARGYL SCT
............      +ANN (NANCY) CAMPBELL   m: Bef. 1837 in NORTH KNAPDALE  ARGYLSHIRE  SCT                  06 Jun 1802 KILMAHUMAIG TAYVELLICH  NORTH KNAPDALE ARGYL SCT   Aft. 06 Jun 1841                         NORTH KNAPDALE  ARGYLL  SCT
........   2     SARAH CAMPBELL      22 Feb 1803 Dunardry or Carsaig  NORTH KNAPDALE ARL                      27 Jun 1872 KILOUSKAND COTTAGE LOCHGILPHEAD ARGYLL  SCT
............      +JOHN McCALLUM   m: 16 Jan 1833 in NORTH KNAPDALE ARGYLL  SCT   1803 KILMICHAEL NORTH KNAPDALE ARGYLL  SCT   Aft. 03 Apr 1881

Offline Ayrshire1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: campbell bro's from N Knadale to Upper CAN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine I have the same folk in my Campbell tree and I live in Scotland, please get in touch:) all my certificates are via www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and I'm happy to pass any of them on to you. At present I've managed to trace a living descendant of Andrew Campbell born 1862 South Knapdale who also lives in Scotland.

Offline Chrisjb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ayyrshire 1
Good to hear that we seem to be connected. I would have replied sooner but its taken me an hour to figure out how to reply with this new format and thought I was not going to loose you!.
Dugald and Nancy are my gt gt greats and their dau Anne is my line. She married D MacLeod (Raasay) and shifted to Greenock. Their dau Anne married and emigrated to NZ in 1884, so we are all in NZ.
How are you connected? I  have certs for my branch and many of the McCullums too.
I have made contact with desc of Sarah Campbell/McCallum who still live in the same area by name of Fisher.
The reliable family story is that 5 of the sons emigrated to Canada. Have you heard this?

Offline Ayrshire1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine, The last thing any of us need is to be contacted by someone who has the wrong family info, so many names are the same in these Campbell lines from Argyll and I certainly don't want to waste your time! been there, done that and it's so annoying! See below for a quick rundown of some the family info for my Campbell family and let me know if this info is also in your tree.  Your info about 5 of your Campbell's leaving Scotland is so similar to the general talk (gossip) in my Campbell family, but so many folk left Scotland way back then for a better future for their families and lets face it Christine life was tough here in those days so who could blame them!.  I'm going to check with some another relatives to find out what info they have on their Canadian relatives and get back to you if this works out.

Some Campbell Family Info:

Marriage: Andrew Campbell & Isabella Campbell 27th December 1851 south Knapdale Argyll
Parents of Isabella Campbell: Peter Campbell & Flora McCallum
Death of Isabella Campbell: 23rd November 1901 South Knapdale Argyll

Children of Andrew & Isabella Campbell
From 1871 census
South Knapdale births: Peter, name illegible, Mary, Margaret, John, Andrew, Isabella, Flora, James, Neil,
Andrew Campbell age 9 above 1871 census Correct Year of birth for Andrew 1862

Andrew Campbell Birth: 13th March 1862 South Knapdale Argyll (His blood line moved to Ayrshire)
Parents of Andrew Campbell: Andrew Campbell & Isabella Campbell

Offline Chrisjb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

So are you thinking  that my Peter b 1794 is the same as your Peter who m Flora McCallum?
Say his children were born when he was 30, that makes them b about 1824, so could have married in 1851.
My only issue is that my lot are all from North Knapdale not South.
This is probably my Peter's baptism. Is this also your man?
"Scotlands People 4/3/09
OPR births
14/9/1794 Peter Campbell, parents Duncan Campbell and More Graham , sex U, Parish NK Argyll, 530/00100040. Also confirmed on paper notes in Campbell file from Irene Pearson"
And here is my Dugald:
"Scotlands People  4/3/09
OPR births
23/4/1801, Dugald Campbell, parents Duncan Campbell and Sarrah Graham, male, North Knapdale, Argyll  530/00100069"
Parents confirmed on his 1864 death cert.
5 families emigrated to Canada written on NK 1841 census record, and documented in very old family letters too.
Christine

Offline Ayrshire1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 18 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine, had a chat with some relatives and although our Campbell names and dates are close they are sadly not related, I looked through all my info, BMD's and census records etc and according to these relatives they think, but are not sure, that the Campbell's who left Scotland settled in NZ.
I wish you all the very best Christine with your family search and hope you succeed in finding out more about the folk who emigrated to Canada

Offline Chrisjb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
It happens. Just FYI no Campbells (by name) came to NZ, but an Ann Campbell who married a John Matheson in Greenock emigrated here in 1884.
Cheers

Christine

Offline Ayrshire1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine, Many thanks for this info, I'll follow it up and with any luck Ann Campbell will be related in some way, there's an Isabella Campbell in the tree married to Andrew Campbell 27th September 1851 South Knapdale and on the census records Isabella was born in Greenock and both she and Andrew lived out their lives in South Knapdale Argyll.  On the 1871 census for Andrew and Isabella it does not! say "place of birth" for Andrew that he born in South Knapdale? but gives an illegible place which is neither South nor North Knapdale, I will check with SP and ask them to clean up this record, the family above them on this record are from North Knapdale.  Moving forward to the 1901 census the enumerator has Argyll but in red ink has put, "place of birth Millport Argyllshire", so he's made this decision himself? Millport comes under Argyll & Bute  but there is no birth for an Andrew Campbell on Millport, again I will check with SP.  This may take a bit of time to check out all of these inquiries but I'll get back to you Christine and let you know how this works out.  In the meantime I'm going to go back over every certificate I have for the family and send SP a list and hope they are "happy to help" :) 

Offline Chrisjb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 May 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know Ann Campbells ancestry way back and all the Greenock family so there is no connection there.
Christine