Author Topic: Pet Cemetery?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Pet Cemetery?
« on: Sunday 21 June 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
My mother gave me these old photos and I wonder if anyone can help me recognise where they are.

They all have my grandmother in. I think one might be a pet cemetery. Ive zoomed in as far as I can on the graves and Im sure that one of them says 'George's cat Wicky' (on the far right) but i could be mistaken.

The picture of the bus is in front of a Charles Bayer building but a quick internet search leads me to think this could be anywhere in teh UK!

I have no idea why but feel the picture of Scott's pate and kitchen shop may be in Weston Super Mare. I have no reason to think this other than a gut feeling and the fact that from South Wales (where we all live) was close enough to many day trips for the family over the years and was a favourite outing.

Fingers crossed, especially for the graveyard one!

Many thanks

Julie
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Cemetery?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
third picture.....
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 09 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Charles Bayer & Co Ltd (Corset makers) building still stands at 211 Lower Bristol Road, Bath - by the river.
If you put that address into Google map UK
http://maps.google.co.uk/
There is an aerial view of the building, zoom right in on satellite view and I'd pick it to be same building as in your photograph  because of the shapes of the rooflines?
If that is correct, then the building in the photo is backing onto the river,

This photo has a view of the river side, and points out the Bayer building
http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_lewis_baker_arts/3472275775/
The chimneys look like they could be the same.

This site has a photo of the same riverside view, different angle - the Bayer building being the darker red brick one with all the windows (the first riverside photo above, might have been taken looking out of the white/grey building closest to the foreground). Hover over the photo to see it's description (it mentions Bayer Building there only)
http://www.fabledcity.iwarp.com/roman.htm

The widows look like the same as in your photo, too.

Cheers  :)
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ambly - I checked out those links and I think you are right, the buildings do look the same. Thanks very much for your help.

Does anyone have any clues about the other pictures? Im especially interested in the cemetery one.

Thank you

Julie

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I'm pretty sure the pet cemetery is the one at Longleat.
Here's a modern picture, but the plaque on the wall looks the same - what do you think?
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/306584/photo7.html

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 09 07:00 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, it IS Longleat isnt it? I have looked closely at the pictures and feel you are definitely right, well done!

Strangely, i shall be going to Longleat in two weeks so when I am there, I shall look out for this.

Thank you - and well done, sharp eyes!