Author Topic: Relatives of Elsie Maud Burge/Nickerson/Dougherty  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Andy in Wilts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relatives of Elsie Maud Burge/Nickerson/Dougherty
« on: Sunday 21 June 09 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm hoping that someone may have come across my Great Aunt Elsie Maud Burge b.1889 Portsmouth, Hampshire, England or some of her relations, or information about them.
She crossed into the US at Port of Winnipeg in 1914 with her destination stated as Fort Fairfield, Maine.
I have found her marriage to William H Nickerson in Fort Fairchild, 1915 and she appeared in the 1920 US census as divorced. In 1921 she married John R Dougherty in Fort Fairchild and died in 1961. She apparently had children as I have some photos of her and her grandsons Edwin and Charles.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Andy

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Relatives of Elsie Maud Burge/Nickerson/Dougherty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 June 09 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy.  Welcome to RootsChat
Do you have access to the 1930 census?  She is listed in Fort Fairfield.

The 1920 census shows a "boarder" under her name: Ralph L.  It is assumed his last name is Nickerson.

The 1930 census (Fort Fairfield) lists her as Elsie Dougherty and under her name is Ralph Nickerson.  It also lists him as boarder.  Ralph was born in Maine, his father was born in Canada and his mother was born in England.  I will not post his date of birth, for privacy reasons.  (I can pm the date, if you do not have access to the record.)  Perhaps he is her son, or stepson?  Also, her age at first marriage is 26.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
Once again, I won't post details for privacy reasons, but there is a Maine marriage record for Ralph L Nickerson; his residence was Ft Fairfield, ME.  I can pm details if you do not have access to this record.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Andy in Wilts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 09 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Thanks very much for the superfast response. It looks like you've found her. I've just got access to the 1920/30 censuses so I'll have a look. I've only recently found that she moved to the US and am still finding my way around US records.
I have noticed that there don't appear to be any birth records online. Is this to do with privacy laws in the US or are there any online records?

ps I've just realised that I listed her 2nd marriage as Fort Fairchild instead of Fort Fairfield.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 June 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
The Maine Death Index has a Ralph L. Nickerson who died in Caribou on 17 Jan. 1961 at age 45.  That seems to match the age of the one in the 1920 Census.

Offline Andy in Wilts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 June 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lisa. I'll have to look into whether Ralph was Elsies son although the probability is that he is.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 June 09 19:35 BST (UK) »
Ralph, I don't see him on the Social Security Death Index, which (I believe) either means that he never applied for a card (highly unlikely) or his wife is still receiving his benefits.  I will have a look around.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 June 09 20:01 BST (UK) »
With a 1961 death, it's probably too early for him to be on there.  Apparently, 98% of the information is from 1962 and onward, because the SSA started using computers then.  http://genealogy.about.com/od/vital_records/a/ssdi.htm 

I've never heard of someone receiving benefits influencing whether information was on the SSDI. 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 June 09 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly:

I hadn't either, but my father passed away in 2004 and he is not listed on the index.  Someone on RootsChat said (suggested?) that if the spouse is still alive, the deceased's name will not appear.  :-\
---------
I just looked for my father-in-law's name.  He does not appear on the index; my mother-in-law is still with us.  I think I better look into this.