Author Topic: Heatlie's in Scotland  (Read 30939 times)

Online worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Heatlie's in Scotland
« on: Friday 25 February 05 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on the surname 'Heatlie' from Scotland. I'm doing my familytree and they originally came from the boarder areas, (Selkirk). Any information greatly received.
Dawn

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heatlie's in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 06 12:25 GMT (UK) »
hi dawn, just had a wee peek at the 1851 census for your family, there is 26 heatlie's on there living mainly in selkirk there births range from 1772 to 1850.

can i be of any help?

or can you update this post by any other information that you have found since this first post

happy hunting

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline bonnie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 February 09 00:39 GMT (UK) »
hi dawn my grandfather is a heatlie born in scotland.have some info looking for more

Online worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 February 09 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonnie
Did you send me a friend request on Facebook as well? My Heatlie family are from the borders of Scotland do you have a connection with them?
Thanks
Dawn

Offline bonnie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 09 13:11 GMT (UK) »
hi Dawn,yes i did.i know my great granfather George Scott Heatlie,yes they are from borderes of scotland.i know i have relatives in england. tom heatlie and there is another brother.i do have more info.george had quit a few kids.hope to hear from you Bonnie

Offline Hollywoodjac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 10 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I have Heatlie/Heatley ancestors who came from Nenthorn in Berwickshire.

Offline heatlie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been doing research on my Heatlie ancesters but haven't traced it to the borders
as yet. Most of the info below comes from a small book called the 'Haitleys of Mellerstain',
written by Queen Victoria's surgeon about 1890. Mellerstain is an castle / estate in the borders.
I don't have access to my research at the moment, but have detailed below what I can remember from the top of my head.

The Heatlie's in Scotland came from French nobleman, called D'Porte, who were given lands in
a place called 'Hatley Park' in Cambridgeshire, by the king of england c1120 . They were persuaded by King David 1 of Scotland to settle in the borders, mainly Roxburgh, and given lands, including Mellerstain. The family name was changed to de Haitley, from the area in Cambridge, and has an official seal. Over the coming centuries they were involved in many battles including being charged for treason for the murder of Lord Darnley and the interception of Mary Queen of Scots between Edinburgh and Linlithgow. The name gradually changed to Hately, Heatlie etc and the main families can be found in Selkirk, Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and the north of england, where it is mostly spelt Heatley.

My ancesters lived in Edinburgh, Dalkeith, New Monkland (Airdrie), Broxburn, then back to Edinburgh.

Regards
Robert

Offline adamheatlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 February 11 04:55 GMT (UK) »
I am a 7th generation Canadian Heatlie, and am tracing my history from Scotland. There are a large amount of Heatlies in Selkirkshire and Roxburghshire that I am trying to connect to. I have only found record of a few Heatlies immigrating to the US, but none to Canada yet. I would love to hear from anyone who may have any Heatlie info. I have almost 1000 people in my family tree on Ancestry.ca and want to keep finding more.

Adam
Heatlie

Offline SB77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 February 11 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adam

I have friends in Selkirk that are Heatlies and if you go to BT phonebook on line and put in Heatlie and Selkirk it will come up with quite a list that may be of some use to you.
I know that James had a father called Tom that may have some connection to you.