Author Topic: Heatlie's in Scotland  (Read 30882 times)

Offline coolmomkj

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heatlie's in Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 May 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Relatives of Andrew Heatlie, married to Eliza Aiken.  He was born in Selkirkshire in 1844 and his father was William Heatlie, married to Mary Scott.  I am a great granddaughter of William Heatlie who lived in San Francisco, California, US.
I would love to know more about them.
Sincerely,
Katie Johnson

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 June 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Coolmumkj
I havent got your Andrew Heatlie or Eliza Aiken in my Heatlie tree but i can give you a bit of info on them. There was two Heatlie familys in Selkirk, the 'Castle street Heatlies' which my lot come from and then there was the 'Bridge street Heatlies' which is your William Heatlie and Mary Scotts side. I dont know if there was any connection between the two but i have recently set up a 'Bridge street Heatlies' family tree on the Ancestry website to see if i can find some sort of link somewhere, living in a small town like Selkirk at that time i would think there is a link somewhere but its just finding it. Somebody sent me a picture of the Bridge street Heatlies which i still have if you would like it emailing over.
Dawn

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 April 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
dawn its alan turnbull. can you send me a pm re heatlies plse,
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 April 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alanwq
Just sent you a pm.
Dawn

Offline alessandralee1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 June 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on Andrew Heatlie who married Mary Turnbull in Selkirk on 9 December 1854.  Mary was my ancestor, who's father Thomas Turnbull was innkeeper of the Black Bull Inn, Selkirk.  Thomas was born in 1795 in Hobkirk and married Ann Oliver (I come from her family).  I read somewhere that Andrew and Mary emigrated to the USA in 1856.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 June 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
HI Alessandralee All i have is a list from the local ministers diary listing those who were emigrating.It says married to A Hallie but it should read Heatlie.I think someone mispelt or read it wrong from the writing/It is obviously the right couple.
"Selkirk Migrants 1850-1865"
"The following is a list of emigrants from Selkirk to various parts of the world both home and"
"abroad which have been extracted from the private diary of the then Minister of"
"Selkirk Parish Church."
"The notes are frequently enlivened by the Ministers comments on the personalities of the persons involved, some not entirely complimentary!!"
"The diary and a run of Kirk Session records dating from 1701 has been sent to the"
"Scottish Records Office for processing."
"BROWN,  Andrew, Tailor, Water Row. To America with his wife and family 14-4-1854."
"BURNET, Hannah.(Mrs Dalgleish), Feuar, The Brockle , Her son William in Canada. BALLANTYNE,  Adam, Weaver, East Fews. To America May 1856(A very promising young"
"man)"
"BAPTIE, Robert, Broadmeadows. from U.P. Church Innerleithen. To America May 1857"
"CRANSTOWN, Eliz. Millener. Marketplace to Edinburgh 1853."
"COWAN, William. Shoemaker. Kirk Wynd. Whereabouts unknown (moonlight flitting) CURRIE, William. Tanner. Dunsdale Cottages. To Australia with wife and children 1858. CAVERS, Mgt. Servant. Faldonside. To America May 1855 (“Ignorant”)"
"CAVERS, Francis. Farm Servant. Ettrickbank. Came from Hawick from the Congregation of"
"Rev.A.Thomson. To America .May 1855."
"DAVIDSON, George. Joiner. Gala Road. Son of James Davidson, gardener, also of Gala Road .To"
"America May 1854."
"DRYDEN, Mrs. Housekeeper. Back Row. To England 1861."
"DRYDEN, Mgt.(Mrs Galbraith) Back Row. To England 1861.Lived in Appleby. Then to"
"Australia."
"DOBSON, Wm. Tinsmith. The Green. To Bury St Edmunds.1854. FAIRBAIRN, Betty. Millworker.To America 1857."
"FLETCHER,  Jane. Housekeeper. To Edinburgh after a marriage to a mason.To Australia.1854. GOVENLOCK  James  Coachman. To Innerleithen 1855."
"GOVENLOCK, Walter. Tailor. Elibank. To America 1854. GOVENLOCK, John .Labourer. To America April 1854.(with his wife)"
"GOVENLOCK, Andrew. Farmer, Ocherhall. Returned from Poland 1854. Had left Selkirk 1830 to live 30 miles from Warsaw. Returned with wife and two children(Beanston (?)"
"and Margaret.)"
"GALBRAITH, John. Shepherd. Married Margaret Dryden (see above) Daughter, Janet born 1854."
"To Australia 1863."
"HEAL,  Isabella. Servant. Bowden Manse. Married to son of Thomas INGLIS. To Canada 1851. HENDERSON, Mrs James .(Nanny Hope) Left for Canada April 1855."
"HENDERSON, James. Weaver. Back Row. Son of Mr Fox. Enlisted in the 42nd Highlanders."
"Fought in the Crimea (Admonished by the Session) HILL, Agnes. Housekeeper. Gala Rig. To Van Diemansland 1854"
"INGLIS, Andrew. Mason. Dunsdalehaugh. Died 1861. INGLIS,  James. Weaver. Dunsdalehaugh. To America 1856. INGLIS, William. Millwright. Dunsdalehaugh. To London 1855."
"407"
"JOHNSTON, Mgt. Servant. Carterhaugh. From U.P. Church Galashiels.To America 1857."
"KERR, Thomas. Mason  Hawick Road. To Nova Scotia 1852 (Son went out 1856) LILLICO,John. Labourer.  Sweepsnest. To Australia.1855.Accompanied by his wife and son,"
"Andrew, a Labourer."
"MASON, Joseph.Labourer.13 Sunderland Toll. To America 1856.Accompanied by wife and children."
"MITCHELHILL, William. Ploughman. Hartwoodmyres. To America 1856."
"OLIVER, Samuel. Mason.. Chapel street. Wife was the daughter of  Wm.Rutherford, Haining"
"Gate. Had 6 children below 14 in 1851. All to America 1852. PATTERSON, Janet. Annuitant. Philiphaugh. To West Canada.1854. PATERSON, George. Shepherd. The Muschra. To America 1852."
"PARK,  Elizabeth and Euphemia. Foulshiels. To America 1854."
"RINTOUL, Henry. Forester Rink. Father of 4 boys, the youngest baptised 1854. To Australia with wife and family Sept. 1854.(“A frank warn hearted man. He was particularly active at the time of the liquidation of the church debt. His wife is a nice woman. Hope well of them”)"
"SHEARER, Jessie, Servant. Elmpark. Came from Edinburgh.(Church in Albany Street) 1850 to America.(“A very good feeling hearted and I think pious person. Was much affected at parting with me.”)"
"SCOTT, Mary. At Mills Hermitage Street. Married to  R .Emond. To Australia. 1854.

TURNBULL, Miss. Milliner. Black Bull, Market Place. Married to  A. Hallie. To America 1856.

WILLISON, Walter. Stocking Manufacturer. Chapel Street. To Australia 1855.His wife also went.."
"(The above list was previously published in the Border Family History Society  Magazine to which"
"we are indebted.)"
Hope this helps
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 June 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan, that is interesting about the name being spelt differently, but it sounds like the Mary Turnbull I am related to.  Cheers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 June 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Dawn, I'm also looking for Heatlie's from Selkirk.  The only information I have is that an Andrew Heatlie from Selkirk married Mary Turnbull in 1854 and they went to the USA in 1856

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 June 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi alessandralee
I have done my Heatlie familytree, and your Andrew Heatlie and Mary Turnbull are indeed in the same one, Andrews father Thomas Heatlie was brother to my x6 grandfather William Heatlie. I don't have any info on the Turnbull side of the family but plenty on the Heatlies, what info do you need and ill have look for you x x
Dawn