Author Topic: Mclaughlins of Carndonagh  (Read 9619 times)

Offline GRACELANDS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mclaughlins of Carndonagh
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 January 12 20:37 GMT (UK) »
My father was related to Tess Mclaughlin and my family always visted her & her husband Dennis  when we went to Ireland she was a great lady great.  Last time I was over I took my mother and children to see Tess's house.  as you say it lies in ruins.

My father was great friends with Paddy the Hill   My uncle  moved back to the area when I was small and still lives there to day (Dennis and Dinah McLaughlin)

My father as a young boy worked for Bertie Boggs (the butcher) in the villiage of Malin and remained friends throughout there lives

Offline donna123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 January 12 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi graceland, I'm new to this and not sure how to send a reply to your message but yes I'm who you think I am and Ii think I remember your mom and dad and also I saw your uncle and aunt last time I was over there in the malin hotel. Send me another message and let me know about you and how to reply to your message!

Offline kmuttleyjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 03:52 BST (UK) »
Aughaclay Catholic Church caught my attention in this forum. My grandmother Annie McLaughlin and all of her brothers and sisters were baptized at this church. Her parents Neal and Mary McLaughlin were married and buried there. Im hoping one of these days to get over and visit the church. Im also hoping someone with a camera and free time who lives nearby can take a picture of the graves and post them to Find a Grave...HAHAHa. Ive found the family in the 1901 and 1911 census and trying to piece together their history.
McLaughlin
Curran
Holmes

Offline kmuttleyjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 June 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
Aughaclay Catholic Church caught my attention in this forum. My grandmother Annie McLaughlin and all of her brothers and sisters were baptized at this church. Her parents Neal and Mary McLaughlin were married and buried there. Im hoping one of these days to get over and visit the church. Im also hoping someone with a camera and free time who lives nearby can take a picture of the graves and post them to Find a Grave...HAHAHa. Ive found the family in the 1901 and 1911 census and trying to piece together their history.

This is a map of where my McLaughlin's lived in close proximity to Aughaclay Church
McLaughlin
Curran
Holmes

Offline singingtheblues

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 September 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
I know this thread is old but I stumbled across it and hope you "Glocky" see this.

I am the grandson of your father's brother - Danny, your dad being known as Uncle Fonsy?

The grave you describe at Aughaclay is that of your grandparents, the gravestone (with picture) was put there by my dad (Terry who died in 2015). The family nickname was Billy - hence the grave inscription - we were the Billy's.

I have been over a few times myself and there were a few distant relatives over there then - I think the grave was tended by a man named Seamus Harkin, who had a garage in Gleneely and whose mother may have been a sister of Lizzie - your grandma.

Hopefully you will see this and get in touch - I can probably help you with some questions!