Author Topic: employers and newspapers 1817 - 1840  (Read 3788 times)

Offline adge654

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
employers and newspapers 1817 - 1840
« on: Monday 22 June 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find where to look for employment information on domestic servants of large manors, estates, or houses,  c1817/18.   Even newspapers of that period   all around Salisbury, Coombe Bissett, West Harnham, Wiltshire area.
A Mary Kite was a servant and had a bastard child by a Thomas Kimber, she did not marry him and the child was not given the surname of either one so must have been given up to the Delicate family.  They may have been relatives but around 1833 ish  I have been informed that a fight broke out between a Mary Kite and Ann Delicate so I imagine it must have been documented somewhere. Also if it is possible to get employment details it might show what happend to Mary Kite when she became pregnant, was she sacked or did she end up in the poor house or worse.
It appears that there was a marriage between the Kites and the Delicates so was she a child of that marriage and fell pregnant at an early age.

adge
ingram/hulbert/hawkin (wiltshire, gloucestershire,  surrey),
Delicate/craymer/green (wiltshire & london)

Offline Avongirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: employers and newspapers 1817 - 1840
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 February 15 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

We have messaged before this is my husbands family too.
Marey Delicate b 11.9.1775 West Harnham had an illegitimate daughter also named Mary Delicate b 1799 Coombe Bissett.

Marey Delicate 1 married after a few years a Nicholas Kite 15.7.1803 West Harnham.

Mary and Nicholas went on to have 3 children
Jane b1803 West Harnham
Martha b1805 West Harnham
Robert b1808 West Harnham.

Mary Delicate 2 must have been adopted by Nicholas Kite or was his biological daughter by her mother before they married.

Mary Delicate 2 had son by Thomas Kimber in 1819 a William Delicate your branch.

Mary Delicate 2 went on to marry a Edward Smith in 1821 and had a further two children
Clara b1821 Coombe Bissett
Daniel b1826 Coombe Bissett.

Don't know what happened to Edward because your Mary then married for the last time a Phineas Newman my husband's branch they had
Caroline b1835 Coombe Bissett

Mary Delicate, Kimber, Smith, Newman died in 1835 under Mary Newman.

When Mary 2 was pregnant with William she was living with the Newman family as a boarder paid by Thomas Kimber.

after Mary died Phineas married Harriet Curtis in 1835 or 6

Phineas along with Harriet stepdaughter Clara Smith, Caroline and Eve his daughter by harriet sailed to Australia on the ship Woodbridge in 1838.

Clara married a Thomas Shergold before dying in 1858 Gerringong.

Now your William is listed on Daniel Smith's marriage certificate as Witness so this is your family too.

Yes this certainly is messy but I've unravel the story for you.
I think Ann Delicate may have been Mary 1 sister or Aunt.

I'll let you know on that.

I know this may seem far fetched to you but this is the same people you are looking for.

AvonGirl Lisa