Author Topic: 17th Century Quakers: PYLE, WITHERS, SLOPER, NASH, SMITH  (Read 20883 times)

Offline markedixon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
17th Century Quakers: PYLE, WITHERS, SLOPER, NASH, SMITH
« on: Monday 22 June 09 23:17 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for anyone familiar with central Wiltshire who might also be familiar with these families.

My wife's ancestor emigrated from Wiltshire to Pennsylvania with the Penn fleet in 1682.  We're planning a visit to Wiltshire and would like to do some genealogical sightseeing - if we can find anything to see.   :)

The primary family was PYLE, with connections to the Withers, Sloper, Nash and Smith families.  The immigrant, Robert Pyle (1660-1730) was from Bishops Cannings.  His parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc., were from places such as Bourton, Urchfont and Stanton St. Bernard.  Those living during the Commonwealth seem to have joined the Quakers, as did Robert Pyle.

A condensed family tree follows.

Robert Pyle, son of Nicholas Pyle (1624-1691) and Edith Musprat (1635-1676).
Nicholas Pyle, son of John Pyle (1594-1652) and Mary Withers (ca. 1604-1666).
Edith Musprat, daughter of Thomas Musprat (b. ca. 1600) and Edith Byffen (b. ca. 1600)
John Pyle, son of John Pyle (1564-1652) and Elizabeth
Mary Withers, daughter of Thomas Withers (1545-1624) and Joan Nash (d. ca. 1630)
Thomas Withers, son of William Withers (b. 1520)) and Isabel Smith (b. 1532)
Joan Nash, daughter of William Nash and Margery Sloper
Isabel Smith, daughter of William Smith of Bourton and Laura

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 17th Century Quakers: Pyle, Withers, Sloper, Nash, Smith
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 09 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark and welcome to rootschat.

Are you looking for further information about your specific families? Or are you looking for anyone with connections to these names? Along the top of each rootschat page you will see a list of options including "surnames" - you can add your surnames there and also check for others researching the same names. After you've made three posts on rootschat you will be able to make direct personal contact with any rootschat member.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your specific families but I have a couple of suggestions about your travel plans. If it is the towns and villages where these families originated that you would like to visit, I would suggest studying maps of Wiltshire and familiarising yourself with the places that your families lived. Many will be unrecognisable from when your ancestors were there, but there may be some older parts of the towns and villages which may still contain some of the buildings from your ancestor's time. I would normally suggest a visit to the local parish church assuming they were there during your ancestor's time (many would have been). However if they were Quakers perhaps they would not have attended the local parish churches.  :-\

This may help:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WIL/

Also try "google maps" or "bing maps"

For older maps this may be useful:
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
You can compare the old and the new.  ;)

These may be more suited to your search dates:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06jq/

I hope you have a wonderful trip - Wiltshire is lovely.

PS. You are not allowed to post email addresses on this site so you should remove your email address before a board moderator does it for you.  ;)

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 00:32 BST (UK) »
hi Mark, welcome.bishops cannings, urchfont and stanton st bernard are all villages close to each other between trowbridge and marlborough in wiltshire. I do not know of a bourton in wiltshire, the nearest is in what was berkshire and is now oxfordshire,just over the border of wiltshire, maybe 20 miles [by road] from the other locations [ farther north and east] regards, john.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline markedixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 03:05 BST (UK) »
If it is the towns and villages where these families originated that you would like to visit, I would suggest studying maps of Wiltshire and familiarising yourself with the places that your families lived. Many will be unrecognisable from when your ancestors were there, but there may be some older parts of the towns and villages which may still contain some of the buildings from your ancestor's time.

Thanks for your response, Ruskie.  I have studied the maps.  I know where the villages are.  And I do realize that they will be much changed.

Ideally, I'd love to find a distant cousin who knows the family tree, is familiar with local history and can point out the relevant landmarks.  The churches are good landmarks.  Likely all of these people were COE before they joined the Quakers.  One of those who turned Quaker, Thomas Withers 1596-1668) spent a long period beginning in 1658 in "the county gaol" for refusing to pay church tithes.  Where was he imprisoned?

Anyway, that sort of thing...

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 06:10 BST (UK) »
You have some unusual names there Mark.

Looking at the rootschat surnames, there are people researching Pyle, but not in Wiltshire. There are people researching Withers and Sloper from Wiltshire. I didn't look at Nash and Smith.  ;) A couple more posts and you will be able to contact anyone you think may share a common ancestor.

Have you tried GenesReunited? or Ancestry trees? You may find some cousins this way.

I've had contacts from several distant cousins who simply googled a particular surname which led them to some of my posts on rootschat. So you've done the right thing by naming your people here.

The only trouble is, that you may not be guaranteed to find relatives in time for your holiday.  ;)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 06:19 BST (UK) »
Simply entering the name "edith musprat" into google yielded many hits.
Similarly with "robert pyle""nicholas pyle" ....
Also "mary withers" "thomas withers" "joan nash" ....
also "margery sloper" ....

If you haven't already done so, you can try this method, and make contact with some of the people who have these names in their trees. I noticed that many are US based, but there must be some who live in the UK. Unfortunately some of the posts to genealogy forums are quite old.

Good luck.

Offline markedixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 17th Century Quakers: PYLE, WITHERS, SLOPER, NASH, SMITH
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Ruskie.  You've made some good suggestions.  I appreciate them and will try them.

We know the family tree, which has been researched by better genealogists than me.  I'm not intending or expecting to learn anything new "genealogically" on this trip.

What I want to do is see things.  Things that may no longer exist.  Things whose existence I am unaware of.  Things that we'll breeze right past if I don't learn of their existence and location in advance.

Perhaps what I really need is a good customized walking tour from a local historian familiar with the Commonwealth period.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,
I thought you were hoping to meet up with relatives still iving inthese areas who may be able to show you the old family haunts.  ;)

I completely understand what you hope to do - what a fascinating tour that would be. Sounds like a good business opportunity for someone to research and do personalised historical tours specific to an era and a place.  ;D

The only other thing I can think to suggest is that you may wish to try to seek out some books that were written about that era, or actually during that time. Libraries may be able to assist, or you could start another post here on rootschat explaining that you are looking for written work about this period. There are some very widely read people here. Also something else to try would be 'google books' - many old books are now viewable online.  ;)

I don't personally know the particular places in Wiltshire that your family is from, but even often by just visiting these places (specially if you can manage to do so when it is not peak tourist season - winter is always wonderful ;)) you can soak up a lot of the atmosphere, specially if the town/village has ancient buildings still remaining.

Best of luck and have a wonderful trip.

Offline JFBAILEY

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 July 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
Mark,

Joel Baily, my Quaker ancestor, was apprenticed to Thomas Withers in Chester Co., PA.  I am interested in Thomas Withers Genealogy tree.
If you are willing to share a GEDCOM, I am jfbailey at comcastDOTnet
My Ancestor was a broadloom weaver, as were his parents and grandparents; therefore, I am thinking that they were originally from Flanders; my yDNA also indicates this.
Have you sorted out any Flemish connections for the Withers, Sloper, Nash families?
Are you in touch with Kit Withers in New Zealand?
Best Regards,
JFBailey