Author Topic: England to Canada 1940s  (Read 5483 times)

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
England to Canada 1940s
« on: Wednesday 24 June 09 04:07 BST (UK) »
I'am not sure of the exact date but pretty sure it to be during the 1940s when my mothers two FINCHAM aunts went to live in Canada.
Its a long shot but would anyone be able to give me some details on where to search please.

Thanks
Researching My Family in Norfolk.
Barker-Barnard-Brooks-Bush.
Eagling-Fincham-Goddard-Gooch.
Hammond-Johnson-Long.
Musk-Mickleborough/Mickleburgh.
Oakley- Parker-Potter-Smith-Wright...

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: England to Canada 1940s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 06:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

http://www.findmypast.com/home.jsp
Free to register and search the index....
Search the Migration database.

Perhaps start with a narrow search of < FINCHAM females only between 1930 and 1955 going to Canada > there are 11 names listed.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 09 06:25 BST (UK) »
Good Evening,

Instead of paying for an image on FindMyPast site, you can use that info to search through the images at the  Archives and library Canada. Takes longer, but more cost effective. www.collectionscanada.gc.ca I think.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline BCsandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 09 07:42 BST (UK) »
This might be a more direct link to the page you want to search for your relatives: Collections Canada - Passenger Lists, 1925-1935

The only problem is that the search parameters only go to 1935; not 1940 as you are wanting...

( btw - there are 4 listings for Fincham surname - )

Surname     Given Name             Age     Nationality     Year of Arrival
1.    Fincham               Arthur            43               Sco                 1929
2.    Fincham               Doris             18               En                 1929
3.    Fincham               Henry G.    15               En                 1927
4.    Fincham               James C.    15               En                 1927
5.    Fincham               Kathleen S.    31               En                 1929

Are any of these names familiar?

At the moment not sure where else you could search and not have to pay....the Ancestry.com search parameters only go to 1935 also.... ??? Unless your relatives came via USA; as the New York passenger lists are to 1957; and the Boston passengers list is searchable to 1943...

Not sure I've been of much help, but anyways... :)

bcsandra
Bedfordshire - Carver
Dorset - Salmon
Isle of Man - Keith, Kelly, St. Clair
Lancashire - Keith, Carver, Salmon
Staffordshire - McLachlan
Yorkshire - Carver, Stout, Coates, Keith

Offline BCsandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 09 07:48 BST (UK) »
I did a quick search on Ancestry (I can't view all the details though)...

There are two ladies, Hilda & Mary Fincham who came from the USA to Canada (Winnipeg specifically); they are found in the "Border Crossing & Passports" section that goes to 1956.  As I mentioned I cannot view the specifics, ie dates, etc., but they are the only two ladies with the surname Fincham to cross the border and head for the same place. (both born in UK)

...maybe?

bcsandra
Bedfordshire - Carver
Dorset - Salmon
Isle of Man - Keith, Kelly, St. Clair
Lancashire - Keith, Carver, Salmon
Staffordshire - McLachlan
Yorkshire - Carver, Stout, Coates, Keith

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your efforts, i am still  searching through the links given, but since found in my notes that it may well have been to sisters that traveled to Canada. Florance and Beatrice Fincham, as I understand Florance later married a Healy, they had a son named Ross Edward Healy, not much i know but little pieces keep appearing in my archives of notes...

regards
Hammond-Johnson-Long.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 09 14:59 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the incoming UK passenger lists.  They go to 1960 and one or more of the sisters might have returned to England for a visit.  You might get an idea where they were living in Canada if you can find them on a passenger list to the UK.

There is a Florence and Arthur Healy buried in Mt. Brydges United Church Cemetery located in Caradoc Township, Middlesex County, Ontario.  The location would be slightly west of London, Ontario around Strathroy.  http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

Debbie

Offline Blue-Spirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you debbi, would you know if there is a way of finding burial and age of death dates ?.

I am trying to work out how i can refine my search to incoming to the uk using http://www.findmypast.com/home.jsp.

Thanks for the help...

Have you checked the incoming UK passenger lists.  They go to 1960 and one or more of the sisters might have returned to England for a visit.  You might get an idea where they were living in Canada if you can find them on a passenger list to the UK.

There is a Florence and Arthur Healy buried in Mt. Brydges United Church Cemetery located in Caradoc Township, Middlesex County, Ontario.  The location would be slightly west of London, Ontario around Strathroy.  http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

Debbie
Hammond-Johnson-Long.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 June 09 17:36 BST (UK) »
Use the link I gave you and under Information About OCFA - 2nd line down - is the Search button.  Enter the names and/or cemetery and county in the boxes provided and get the reference number.  You then go to the 3rd line down - contributing organization - and depending on the letter of the reference number you have to contact different organizations.  Their email addresses are provided and they usually ask for a few dollars to cover their costs.

Debbie