Author Topic: PASCOE family - Mawnan  (Read 4142 times)

Offline amccd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PASCOE family - Mawnan
« on: Wednesday 24 June 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for for the parents/grandparents of William Pasoe who married

Mary Blackwell (bap. Mawnan 7 sept 1777)  in Mawnan on 15 Dec. 1799.

They had children William 1801, John 1803, Mary 1807, Richard 1809 and Susanna 1811.

Mawnan had many Pascoe residents at this time and I am having difficulty in

discovering who his parents were. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: PASCOE family - Mawnan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi :)
I looked at this when you first posted but had no answer then unfortunately.
Do you have access to Ancestry?
Someone on there has William born 1869, Mawnan and the parents of William PASCOE as;

Samuel Pascoe 1742-1792
Margaret Resuggan, no dates

It may be worth following up

There is a marriage for Samuel and Mary 15 November 1765 at Mawnan on Cornwall OPC but no baptisms to them of children ???

On 1841 census, William Pascoe is 70, Mary 64, Susanna 28 and there is a David 18 and Grace 1. Is this the same entry you have? So another child for them.

Christening;
David PASCOE, 12 January 1823, Mawnan, parents William and Mary.

1851 Census William has passed away and Mary aged 73 and living with son Thomas,33, wife Grace 22, daughter Ellen 9mths.There is also Cassandra Pascoe aged 11 neice to head of household, so Marys grand-daughter?All born Mawnan.
Thomas was christened 1817, its on IGI.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline amccd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Thanks for the information. I don't have access to ancestry at the moment but

I will follow up this line, I actually had four possibilities for Wiliam's parents so

this may narrow the search down.

Many thanks, much appreciated. 

Offline janpascoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 March 16 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm trying to find the birth/baptism of William Pascoe, born c 1800, who moved to Highweek/Newton Abbott. According to the 1851 census he was born in Falmouth. According to the marriage parish records he's from the parish of St Mawen (which doesn't exist, so I'm assuming it should be St Mawnan or St Mawes). I've searched for all the William Pascoes in the online parish records in and around Falmouth and have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. One of them being the family you described. Have you followed the son William (b 1801) to see where he ended up?

Offline amccd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have followed my William, b1801, and he does not move to Devon, he remains in the Falmouth/St Gluvias area for all of his life. His son John does move to Devon in the 1860's as he worked as a stone mason on the railways, his work then taking him to Cardiff and then to the Cheshire/Lancs area.

It could be that St Mawen is actually St Mawes as Mawnan, to my knowledge, is never called St Mawnan,

Hope this helps with your search.

Offline janpascoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 16 16:35 GMT (UK) »
You don't know how much that has helped!! I've started a massive search of all the Williams born c1801 and tried to trace them forwards in an attempt to eliminate them. Now I can eliminate this William. Many many thanks for replying, you have saved me hours of work.
I did wonder about the Mawnan thing as I have never seen it written as St Mawnan. St Mawes was another contender, although there was no church there in 1801, but the locals used St Just in Roseland, and there just so happens to be a William baptised there at the right time.  ;D
Good luck with your search of the Pascoe's in Cornwall - there certainly are a lot of them!!
I have attached the entry from the parish records if anyone fancies translating it  :-\