Author Topic: Master Mariners - CARRUTHERS  (Read 7502 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariners
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 June 09 11:15 BST (UK) »
1819 London PO Directory

Carruthers R Cheesemonger and dealer in Hams 8&9 Lower Thames Street
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 June 09 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi - Richard Carruthers, cheesemonger, subject of bankrupty proceedings here in 1837:
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/19480/pages/905 (top column 2)
Rob

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 June 09 14:58 BST (UK) »
f carruthers b 1850
place of birth-silloth
previous ship-llanthewy
capacity-ships mate
vessel name-llanthewy
vessel no-89759
period for crew list-7 nov 1899-31 dec 1899
master-wm j burnett
masters address-112 weatherall street,goole,yorkshire
owner-wm brooks-16 kensington place
port-newport
port registry no-13
port registry year-1884
gross tonnage-420
net tonnage-148
horse power-50
no of seamen-8
repositorys reference no-D.907.8.69
log book available?-no
record source-monmouthshire record office

the other record is much the same,,it staes he was aboard the llanthewy from 10 oct 1899-6 nov 1899   and says his previous ship was the marpessa.   
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for that I will have a look at that site now. As mentioned above a marriage was found by ShaunJ in Chiswick of a thomas Bell Carruthers and cecilia lydia which seems to fit as all their children were born after this date. However I would REALLY appreciate it if yo could look to see if there is any records of Thomas Bell's birth as I still don't know when or where he was born - the unfortunate thing is that it might not be Swansea. Please only do so if you have finished what you aim to do first!
Thank you
A
Hi

I've had a look at the Glamorgan Baptisms, and there are no Carruthers coming up at all in Glamorgan before 1837 I'm afraid.  I would think that the baptism in Billingsgate is probably the one you're looking for.

I didn't check what records they've got for Hafod Copperworks Girl's school, I'll have a quick look next time.

Offline IsAnybodyThere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariners - CARRUTHERS
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 May 19 18:23 BST (UK) »
Is 'CARRUTHERS' name still being researched? I'm a member of FOBLC (Friends of Brockley & Ladywell Cemeteries) where a Captain FORREST PRIEST CARRUTHERS is interred in the London borough of Lewisham's Ladywell Cemetery. We are interested in notables buried in our twinned (conjoined) cemeteries, and would like further info on said Captain Forrest Priest Carruthers - of his time, service, ships, etc. I noted his resting place today 23/05/2019, and wondered about him. 

Offline chyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 June 19 20:12 BST (UK) »
I believe that gravestone is for Julia, captain Forrest Priest Carruthers' widow (see "in loving memory of Julia" at the top). The captain himself died June 12, 1873.

Further, this monument was probably erected by their daughter Cecilia Julia Carruthers who married Adolphus John Edward Richardson (which would explain the bottom half of the gravestone).

According to my research, the captain was my 1st cousin, 4x removed.

Offline IsAnybodyThere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 June 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
So - the 'Captain Forrest Priest' is not necessarily buried here even though his name is quoted
on the gravestone. Is that right? I'm still wondering how to obtain info on 'Captain Forrest Priest'.

Offline chyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 June 19 21:35 BST (UK) »
I've only recently begun researching the Carruthers (my 3rd great grand mother's family).

According to my notes, Julia left for Australia in 1892 with 3 of her adult child (all aged between 18-21). Most of the children married in Australia, so it is entirely possible that not even Julia is buried there. It's possible that Cecilia Julia Carruthers/Richardson, who didn't go to Australia with her mother and siblings because she had already married in England, added a reference to both of her parents on her husbands tombstone when he died in 1910. It may just be Richardson who is actually buried there.

As to the captain, his Masters, First Mate and Only-Mate certificates are available on Ancestry, as well as the application form he submitted for his Mates exams in 1862 (which includes ships served on until that point). If you don't have access, let me know and I can transcribe the list here.

Offline chyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 June 19 22:09 BST (UK) »
So according to the burial records, both Julia Carruthers and Adolphus John Edward Richardson are in fact both buried in that grave. The captain is not recorded as being buried there.