Author Topic: Marriage lookup please - Shoreditch  (Read 4800 times)

Offline marajan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup please - Shoreditch
« on: Friday 26 June 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find the parents names/witnesses for Benjamin Batt and Catherine Craven, married 26 August 1826, in Shoreditch, London. I think it was St Leonards. Benjamin was born around 1807, St Lukes, London and Catherine around 1811, Clerkenwell, Middlesex, according to census returns.

If anyone has access to records, or visits the records office, I would be grateful for any help with this.

Many thanks.
marajan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup please - Shoreditch
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 June 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Witnesses will be shown but fathers names were not included on marriage entries prior to 1.7.1837 - mothers names are never shown
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Marajan

From the marriage register St Leonards Shoreditch, please note the date!!

Benjamin Batt of this parish a bachelor
and Catherine Craven of this parish a spinster
were married in this church by banns
this 28th day of August in the year 1826
by me Robert Cosby Curate
This marriage was solumnized between us
Benjamin Batt X his mark
Catherine Craven X her mark
Daniel ? (surname is illegible as he has signed over the names above)
Catherine Craven X her mark

Hope this helps a bit

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jimmybatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi just noticed your look up request,yes Benjamin Batt a Guilder/watchmaker Married Catherine Craven on the 28th day of August 1826 at st Leonards Shoreditch many of his children were christened there but not all.
Benjamin died a tragic death ,he was 'on holiday' in southend in July 1862 when a chance trip out to the Pier led him being tragically killed by being 'jammed between the railings of the pier and certain cars' the 'cars ' where probably horse driven and the pier was made of wood although one of the longest in the world.
Benjamins family from Batt family members say the Batt's come up from Somerset during the Industrial revolution.It gets abit tougher from now on,but keep digin' jim

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

According to their profile, marajan hasn't been on-line here for a few months. As long as they haven't changed email addresses or switched off notifications, they should receive an email to let them know we have posted on this topic and hopefully come back soon.

Dawn
(Co-moderator for London & Middlesex)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline marajan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim , Dawnsh,

What a surprise to find a new message here after all this time. As Dawnsh says, I haven't been on here for a while, and didn't expect anything.

Jim, thanks so much for the information, albeit somewhat sad. What an awful thing to happen to anyone.
I am at work at the moment and can't access my tree to give more precise dates, but I am related to a descendant of Benjamin and Catherine, another Benjamin Batt, music hall artist, and his daughter with Ellen Martindale, Clementina Mary Ann Batt.
Can't wait to see what else this information might lead me to.

Thanks again both.
marajan

Offline jimmybatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Clementina Mary Ann was the daughter of John Batt b1830
and Charlotte Clementina Burwash  b1833,John was the son of Benjamin and the brother of William 1840 my direct decendant most of Benjamins and Catherine's children were born in ,New Inn Yard,(still in existence as a name)a place decribed as 'the worst of London (1868).
Regards Jim

Offline marajan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 19:59 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jim

Now I am a little confused.

First of all my apologies, I should have been clearer - the Clementina Mary Ann Batt I meant was my great grandmother, born in 1887 to Thomas Benjamin Batt (not Benjamin as I said below). Thomas was born in 1854, but his parents I have as Thomas Batt, rather than his brother John,  and Charlotte Clementina Burwash, married on 19th Dec. 1853 in Islington (ref 1b, 394).

According to the London Births & Baptisms records, Benjamin and Catherine had 3 children all christened on the same day, April 27th 1834, in Shoreditch: Eliza, born 10th Oct 1828, Thomas born 4th March 1830, and John born 6th April 1834. The address was New Inn Yard as you say.

I had wondered whether there was a connection with the famous musical Batt family of Kent in the early 1900s, because of the music hall link I mentioned before, and my great grandmother (born in Folkestone) apparently saying her family were on the stage - although nobody believed her! But I have yet to prove the link.

Regards
Jan

Offline jimmybatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 December 10 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan
Your right with the tree,I missed a generation I think,try this
Thomas Batt b 1830 son of Benjamin Batt b 1807 married Charlotte Clemetina Burwash in 1853
Their children,there where seven one of whom was Thomas Benjamin [b]Batt[/b],think that's right now,.
As for the musical connection?all the Batt's on my side seem to be Artists and musically involved,I'm not proffessional in any of these but I sing to an audience of about 200 once a year for my supper and paint and do the odd Am' Dram's,my cousin Tommy lives in ditchling and is a very good painter indeed,(of world reputation for his minatures of old masters,and I have a brother in Ireland who even today (he's73)still sings and acts on stage,as yet there's no connection with the singers in kent.my TREE runs like this
Jim 1941(me),Charles 1907,George1873,William1840,Benjamin 1807.
Regards JimOh the witness at Benjamin and Catherines Marriage would have to be Catherines Mum,(Catherine Craven)