Author Topic: McRae, Fraser  (Read 2537 times)

Offline ann belanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McRae, Fraser
« on: Friday 25 February 05 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Fraser (born about 1775) married Peter McRae (born about 1775) and had a daughter Margaret Ellen or Hellen McRae (September 23 1802 in Wick, Caithness, Scotland). Ellen left Wick sometime before 1835 as a nursemaid for an officer's wife who was bound overseas and had 3 children one of whom was sickly. The sickly child died in England and Ellen was bought off and stayed in England where she married John Oatway and had her first child in Barstaple England on May 24 1836. She had 2 more and then she and her husband left for Canada. They stayed in Brockville Ontario for part of a year where a 4th child was born.

There were Fraser relatives already in Canada at that time. I do not have any names.

I have a lot of information on the family in Canada but nothing other than Ellen's parents names. I cannot find Macraes on the Wick census and suspect that they came from elsewhere.

Ellen may have had a brother Peter Macrae who I have found as a soldier during the right time frame. I also found a 4 year old boy on the 1841 census of Wick whose name was Peter macRae but he was on his own more or less as far as the records were concerned.

If anyone has information about Peter MacRae and his wife
Margaret Fraser living in Wick, Caithness in about 1840, I would appreciate hearing from them.

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McRae, Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 20:11 GMT (UK) »
i think this is what your looking for?

margaret and peter married 1793 and had 3 sons born urquhart, ross and cromarty

james...27/4/1794
duncan...31/7/1798
william...2/3/1801

a wee check of the 1841 census says that william is living at r&c and there is a good chance that margaret his mother may be living.

is this any help?

Joe
helping wherever possible