Author Topic: Dublin South Union Workhouse Infirmary  (Read 30283 times)

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DUBLIN SOUTH UNION WORKHOUSE INFIRMARY
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 August 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Babzi

Ihave just received your 2 or 3 messages.

Yes, PLU means Poor Law Union.Medical men  in my jargon means fully qualified medical practitioners. On this subject I do not know what you know or what you really want to know about the subject. If you have a question please frame it very precisely as the organizers of this portal favour brevity. If I cannot answer a general question I can refer you to books etc .

THE Irish Times newspaper is available for a fee on the internet. Please note that the proprietors are registered as a charity. It must have been very expensive to put all the back issues on computer and regardless of whatever  the  position is as regards to copyright, It would not be fair or proper to undercut their position.
In answer to your question about finding items I have spent  many years rebuildind the City records from 1859-Census Sunday 1901 utilising that newspaper. Every item I recorded is meaningful by itself but far more can be gained by examining the article in the newspaper itself. It is arranged in order of premises i.e. from No.1 Lower Abbey Street to No.58 York Street. I have under taken many large tasks in my lifetime but be assured this private venture was by far the largest. Does the road wind uphill all the way, Yes to the very end.    It was one thing to transcribe in telegraphic form the entries it was another to sort out the confusion and chaos as regards addressesIf  I had been alive at the time I'm sure that with the experience I could have been some help to the folks  at Bletchley ParkRegards     Quaxer

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Quaxter,

I have been looking for my gg grandfather William Boyd and his family. I know he married Jane Carrick in 1851 in Drumcondra. Her father John McAuley Carrick had a glass manufacturing business in 5 Mary's Abbey. William had always said his business was Commercial Traveler or Comm Salesman. He was from Glasgow according to the  marriage announcement in Dublin Freemans Journel.

I know he was alive in 1873 but Jane was a widow in 1884.
My sister found the death record for Nov 1875 for SDU in the infirmary when she was in Dublin earlier this year.

I would like to find out anything I can on William Boyd. I know his father was David Boyd it was on the marriage cert. But I know nothing else.

Do you know anything of this man and his family or background? When you mentioned medical men did you mean something to do with his family?

Did you mean when you search on the Irish Times you can search by an address? Or were you refering to your own records?

The private project you are working on is it published?

regards

Babzi
Irish Scottish
Carrick Boyd Cooper McAuley Dun

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 August 09 00:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Babzi

Thanks for yours of even date.

The reference to medical men is to my ancestors who worked for the PLU from 1840-1910 and I made the reference to show that I had some knowledge of the system. I know that some records for SDU still exist as the book I mentioned utilized the Guardians Minute Books. What you should sight is the Admissions Register which should be  with the other vols. your sister saw. Re the Irish Times as I wrote before it is a private venture and currently not available to the public. Further  at the moment I reuire at least a street name as it is arranged in alpha street order. Please reread my previous remarks about the proprietors and availability.

I have no I.T. entries for No.5 St Mary's Abbey    but have found an entry in Shaw's Directory for 1850  in the index which reads:
      Carrick John   5Mary's Abbey     Residence  Pearmount,Donnycarney
In the street entry the premises are described as a glass warehouse.RegardsQuaxer

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 August 09 01:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Babzi

I'm not a computer man but when I sent you the immediate previous I could not fit any more in the reply box. Are messages limited in size ? If so limit your questions to just one item and send me more messages each with its own unique  number so that I can refer to them easily.

Did you ever think about a will ?intestacy for  William Boyd? I'll look  in some of my other research papers and come back with an idea Note however that 1/3million wills were destroyed in the explosion and fire in the Four Courts in 1922            Your thoughts please.

Regards

Quaxer

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 August 09 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Quaxer,

I'm not sure about a limit. I've never had any trouble sending what amount of words I needed.

I had a lady search for a Will/or index for William without success. However I don't know how through they were.

I have searched Scotlands People and haven't found a wiil there either. After Jane and William got married they had a number of their early children born in glasgow at 29 John Street Glasgow.

The addresses I know they lived at in Dublin were.

5 mary's Abbey Dublin 1851
Sackville Gardens 1869
14 South Frederick Street from 1872
29 St Clair's Terrace Cloncliffe Road 1884
34 Carlingford Road 1886

Babzi

Irish Scottish

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 August 09 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Quaxer,

I had someone check the buriels in Mt Jerome for our family as we knew John McAuley Carrick was buried there. He died in 1861 Jan.

they found quite a lot of family buried in a few graves and have transcribed the details of each buriel record.

There was a Frances Boyd 12 Jervis Street who died in childbirth at 24 yrs informant was Robert Boyd Jnr buried in the Carrick grave and also then a son Robert Francis Boyd 12yrs of 97 Capel Street informant John Leetch.

We know there was a William and  Robert Boyd at 97 Capel Street who were undertakers and cabinet makers there from 1840's but we never thought this William Boyd was ours.

But this Robert and Frances Boyd buried in John Carricks grave must mean there is a connection?

Any clues?

Babzi
Irish Scottish

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 02:34 BST (UK) »
Babzi
Re your first message I regret I have nothing here to help on this matter
Re No.2 a short history of Mount Jerome shows that graves could be purchased to permit one interment  and they could be reopened by family or representatives until filled. So it is most likely that there is a very close connection between those buried in those graves unless an error was made .
Please supply dates for Robert Francis and Frances

Quaxer

Offline babzi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Quaxer,

Frances Boyd
b. about 1817, d. 1841   
address at death   12 Jervis St.    
age cause of death     24 years, in childbirth   
grave number date of buriel  grave 6-34  6 April 1841
Grant:249    Year-no.: 169
Informant: Robert Boyd, Junior

Robert Francis Boyd
B. 1840  d. 1852 B.    
address at death  97 Capel St.    
age cause of death    12 years   
grave number date of buriel  grave 6-34   23 October 1852Year-no.: 603 Informant: John Leetch  97 Capel St.
Chapelizod

In this grave 6-34 there are 8 people buried between years 1839 to 1856. 2 infants, 2 under age of 4 yrs, 1 teenager and 3 adults. There Carrick, Boyd, Leetch McAuley buried there.

I know the Carrick Leetch McAuley connection but not the Boyd connection to them.

Babzi

Irish Scottish

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 August 09 00:08 BST (UK) »
Babzi

From over 30 years' experience of looking at Irish records some apparently intractable problems are worked out down the road.
Shaw's Directory for 1850 shows William Boyd (Builder ) at No.97 Capel Street but no Leetch in the Index at all.

8 Remains in one grave is considerable but bear in mind that the 4 minors could have been placed on one level and there will always be settlement of the earth.

Regards      Quaxer