Author Topic: Help Please! – BAYNTON/BAYNTUN family of Bromham Wiltshire  (Read 10212 times)

Offline Gerry Cullen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Please! – BAYNTON/BAYNTUN family of Bromham Wiltshire
« on: Monday 29 June 09 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Gerry Cullen and I have a large website www.bayntun-history.com online which deals with the history of the Bayntun family from 1100's to present day. I have been working on this project now for 10 years and have had some help in the early stages of my research from a wonderful lady in Wiltshire who used to scan a lot of old books and help me with various references and passages. Unfortunately she is no longer available or interested and I have now discovered that the answers to most of my missing info or unaccounted info lies in the records office at Kew and Trowbridge. My main problem is that I live in Australia and find it difficult to research from afar. I did visit the Record Offices in Trowbridge 3 years ago but was not prepared and  have since found hundreds of references to various documents at Kew that hold all the answers. I am looking for someone to come onboard and help me, preferably someone who would be able to visit one or other of these offices and able to feed off references I give them or indeed if they are able to source the info themselves. Of course research is not as interesting unless you are also interested in the family. I therefore ask those who are indeed curious to have a look at my web page and if it sparks any interest then there may be a desire to be part of my project. I'd like to point out that I would just love to be there in England myself to do this and indeed would spend ever spare minute of my free time doing what I am asking others to do, but my famiily commitments are here in Australia and my mind and heart are in Wiltshire. I can't employ professional researchers as there are just too many references to get through, it would no be financially viable, however I would not expect any other person to do so for free. I am happy to contribute in some way towards their time. I would of course acknowledge any help I get on my webpage and would love to hear from anyone who may have a little time on their hands or preferably from someone who is at a loose end at the moment and willing to become part of my team in the hope that I can add to my research. The webpage is there for everyone to take from should they find any passages or photos of interest to their research. I am most anxious to get the correct info on all of the family and indeed documents held in Records Offices are authentic and therefore the best source for research. I am pleading to anyone who may be able to help me and look forward to any replies.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110306175147/http://www.bayntun-history.com/Home.htm

Offline WexDor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please! – BAYNTON/BAYNTUN family of Bromham Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I am unable to offer my help in this but I should like to commend you on such an excellent website - it is a fascinating history of this family, family connections and the wider historical context in which they lived.   I was hooked for some time as I followed up each connection!
Good luck with your search for assistance.      Wexdor.
Wilshere - Devizes, GWR (Swindon)
Garland - Overmoigne
Osment of Folke
Ridout - Folke
Jenkins -Swansea
Coombes - Bath

Keopky -   Swansea
Bow - Semley, Wilts.
Hedges - Croydon & Alton (Hampshire)

Offline soan2011

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gerry hope I’m not too late to offer my help. Firstly i've been looking at your site for sometime now and it's wonderful i'm thinking you must be related or close to someone who perhaps is. I live near to London (ish) so don’t see why I cant go to Kew i've been meaning to go for some time now. Trowbridge is a little far but if I cant find enough information on the Benton side of the family to the family in Wiltshire then I might make a special journey. 

Recently I’ve been researching my families on both sides (Grandmother was a Benton) my mother never knew her mother sadly and was never told about her mothers side so we both started this year mainly using ancestry.com. We've been lucky with the Bentons because many have put together trees and along the line with many of the users trees go back to a John Benton born around 1480- 1490 supposedly being one of Sir John Baynton's sons. I'm most curious as to where people have found this information because A the name changed so suddenly and B apparently John appears to have presumably died before his fathers death in 1515 or if not was not included in the will. John Benton was born in Epping in Essex not Wiltshire so it's all most confusing. I've found a few very interesting parish documents for a will made by John before he died in 1550 in Epping so I’m intrigued as to what he left and what he was about in his life time. If you can help me with any information on John and what happened to him I’d be grateful. One member on ancestry.com has said that John Benton may not be Sir John Baynton/Bayntuns son so it would be great to clear this up for us all.

I look forward to hearing from you

Rebecca

Offline klawiterbenton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Did anyone find out if John Benton of Essex was related to Bayntons of Wiltshire?

Thanks

Offline Yolatik

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 16 15:35 GMT (UK) »
We too are trying to find a link between John Benton b1485 Epping and the Bayntuns of Wiltshire. Have you had any success yet? We would love to know as so far we have drawn a blank. Thanks

Offline M. Love

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
The Baynton website is so uselful and well laid out.  However my (admittedluy clumsy!) work through Ancestry has uncovered a bloodline through Sir Edward Bayntun Rolt and up through Bayntuns to Lucy Danvers.  Through her up through Elizabeth Neville and up thorugh other Nevilles to John of Gaunt and thus to Edward 3rd.  As you have not found this I assume I am wrong!
My ancester is Mary Bayntun 1838 -1932. and I would welcome comments from others
I cannot help with Wiltshire or London research at the moment.
M.H.Love

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor Edwin Sandys (1774-1848) of Miserden Park and Chadlington Hall took the additional name Bayntun 9 May 1807 in compliance with the will of William Bayntun esq. of Gray's Inn who had died in February 1785.
Edwin was created a baronet in September 1809: history doesn't relate what the title cost him, but there were no more baronets in that line because his two sons died before him.

Say if you want more detail.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi M Love
regarding you tracing of the NEVILLE back to John of Gaunt etc I came to the same conclusion. This is just working from stuff online such as Burkes Peerage and some of those Peerages were fictional. Probably OK with that level of Nobles though. As Gerry CULLEN had quite enough to do with just the BAYNTON family he would not have wanted to follow up evert other ancestral line.
Same as when MacNAMARA did his Memorials of the DANVERS Family which you may have come across. It is available online.

Re Miserden - in 2005, after a stroll there, I wrote to Gerry -
"In the church I noticed a plaque to The Reverend Sir Edwin Windsor Baynton
Sandys Knt, formerly fellow of St Peter's Coll., Cambridge (eldest son of
Sir Edwin Baynton Sandys Bart) who departed this life Dec 21 1838 aged 37
years.
Any relation to your Bayntons?

From the list of the patrons the Sandys family seem to have been of
importance in the area from 1636 to 1790.  Checking the guide book I see it
says Misarden Park is the mansion built in 1620 by Sir William Sandys. "

Gerry replied that he had not come across the SANDYS people.
I've not had any contact with Gerry since 2007.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Miserden Park was purchased circa 1608 by Sir William Sandys of Fladbury, Worcs.
I don't know why it took him a dozen years to build the mansion there.
He is buried at St Andrew, Miserden, with an effigy in the church.

Sir Edwin Bayntun-Sandys, Bt, was six generations later, but not all the intervening generations lived at Miserden.  Presumably the senior line did, but at some stage had no male heirs and so it was left to Edwin.  No idea how he inherited the name Bayntun; I can only suppose that a Miss Sandys married a Bayntun at some point and that line also produced no male heir.  Sir Edwin too had no sons who survived him (besides Edwin junior there was a son who died in infancy).  He had half a dozen daughters, three of whom died in childhood or in their early twenties.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds