Author Topic: Help Please! – BAYNTON/BAYNTUN family of Bromham Wiltshire  (Read 10128 times)

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please! – BAYNTON/BAYNTUN family of Bromham Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the size of the mansion in some photos I took back then I'm surprised they only took 12 years to build it.

Offline VecchioJohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 September 20 01:01 BST (UK) »
Anyone have contact with Gerry Cullen recently? The website appears to have been taken over and offered for sale (rather a niche identity tho!). I have taken a copy of it from the Wayback engine to ensure it isn't lost but I would be keen to re-establish it somewhere accessible with massive acknowledgement of Gerry's work.
I am interested in the Rolt side, I believe I am descended from Anne Bayntun / Edward Rolt through illegitimate descent - a long story but interesting (via transportation, escape, mutiny etc)!
Curiously, my GG Grandfather Sir John Rolt (1804-1871) bought Miserden estate, possibly to re-assert a link to the Bayntun / Rolt family. He probably could not have known of his lineage but would obviously have been aware of them.
I'm happy to share what I know / suspect with anyone else with those family links. Incidentally, in response to the question of how far back the Bayntun connections go, the website shows lineage back through various kings (Edward III and predecessors) back to Alfred the Great (from whom I reckon I inherited an ability to burn the cooking ;).
Regards, John Rolt (London)
Rolt / Ihlee / Snow /  Burnie (Ayrshire) / Kennedy (Ayrshire) / Hessenberg / Strachan / Howman/ Chieveley / Knightley / Hiorns / Bayntun / Wilmot / Rochester .. etc

Offline caverswall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 February 21 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear John,
I have a quite a bit of information on the Bayntuns (being descended from Thomas Rolt, the eldest son Edward Rolt and Anne Bayntun).
I am intrigued that you say you might be descended from Edward through an illegitimate child. (I know that his son, the aforementioned Thomas had illegitimate children - but none them bore the name Rolt).
You also mention that Sir John Rolt bought bought the Miserden estate to "re-assert a link to the Bayntun / Rolt family". I unsure if this is so as neither the Bayntuns nor the Rolts owned property in Misserden - at least so far as I know. You may have found out otherwise...
As for Gerry Cullen's website it is shame that it has been taken down. However, much of the genealogical information should be treated with caution. This is especially true of the earliest Bayntun generations. A much more accurate pedigree is found in W.G. Davis, The ancestry of Abel Lunt, 1769-1806, of Newbury, Massachusett (Anthoensen Press, 1963). Part of this pedigree can be found on this webiste which does a good job laying out some of earliest Bayntun generations: https://sites.google.com/site/cochoit/family-articles/baynton.
I hope this helps,
F A C Rolt

Offline Jackie Benton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 March 21 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

It looks like the Bayntun History Page is in danger of being hosted as a web page.  I would be happy to help if I can keep it active.  I found it to be so interesting and it was fascinating to see details and quotes from my ancestors.  I hope to hear a replay and know if I can support in any way.   Thank you for your time!

Jackie

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi, Gerry Cullen here. I removed the webpage from the internet, not because of lack of interest, but because the very early generations are not correct. There exists a pedigree of the Bayntun/Baynton family which goes back to the ancient Kings of Denmark. This pedigree, old portraits and many documents are in a private collection in New Zealand and belong to the Starky family, the most recent and last direct descendant having passed away only a few short years ago. His family are not contactable and in view of the amount of genuine accurate information that exists I found it impossible to continue on hosting the website and not being in a position to update the pages. Therefore I cancelled my hosting but still have all the .html pages, illustrations and photos on my computer. I had worked more than 11 years on this website, without being in any way related to those mentioned in the pages and would have continued on updating the pages with even more information that I had acquired stored in an update folder that I had not got around to. I wish to point out that I am the author of the entire contents and all research has given me great joy in compiling its contents. The website has NOT been sold, nor passed on to any other individual, it is just frozen at the moment in the hope that the family will release the information to make it an even better website, however I hold little hope of this happening. Thanks for all your kind comments. Feel free to contact me if you wish to know any more.

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 May 21 15:51 BST (UK) »
I also wish to point out that I no longer use the email address attached to my original posting as I have changed my internet server in recent years. I know of no way that I can be contacted unless through these pages as I believe it is forbidden to include email addresses in any postings.

Offline CullenDolan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 June 21 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca,

I tried sending you a long email but apparently your mailbox is full.

Can you please reply.

GERRY CULLEN

Offline cullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 October 21 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The Bayntun website is back online again and I am working on it as I have a lot more information to add to it. I have also been trying to get some concrete info on the early generations of the family but having to insert new pages and revamp the website it going to take me a long time, so hopefully before or after Christmas. I also have a new email address.

Offline caverswall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 February 24 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gerry,
I wanted to express how wonderful the Bayntun website is! Much work has gone into it! I do hope you continue to update it