Author Topic: Wilson's in County Cavan  (Read 44812 times)

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Wilson's in County Cavan
« on: Monday 29 June 09 17:57 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone who has Wilson ancestry living in Co. Cavan.  All I know is that the Wilson's came from Co. Longford in the 1600's to settle in Co. Cavan...probably the area close to the Louth border. We have given names of John, William, Thomas. In the 1830's or so, a William Wilson and his large family of 7 sons and 5 daughters left for Hope, Ontario, Canada (children's names Anne Jane married Stewart Hooey, Matilda, John, Mary, William, Mathew, David, Thomas, Henry, Charles, Joseph, Seraph and Essy).

Our Wilson's held their farming land in the SE section of Co. Cavan under Sir William Young.  Hopefully someone has information to help me in my search. Thanks!

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in County Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 09 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I too am looking for Wilsons in the Co Cavan area, my grandfather Charles Haughton Wilson b 1883 was a farmer in Killeshandra, although I think he came from Cessagh/Corradarren - I think!
 I have other postings on the Cavan board asking for information on the Wilson family if you want to take a look to see if there is any common information.
I was sent a copy of an old obituary newspaper cutting which isn't dated but it mentions  several Wilsons on it. I will have to dig it out. Any information that you can share would be really useful.

Thanks

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 09 20:14 BST (UK) »
This is a copy of an obituary from a newspaper - unfortunately I do not have a date for this obituary-
MR. WILLIAM WILSON, GULLADUFF.  CO. LEITRIM.

On Saturday, the 13th inst., one of the oldest inhabitants of Gulladuff passed away in the person of Mr. William Wilson, a member of an old and respected family, who departed this life at the ripe age of 88.  Mr. Wilson was a member of a family long settled in and respected in the district, and despite his advanced age he was able to move about until  a comparatively recent date.  He was a member of Corlespratten Methodist Church, and during his last illness he was attended by the Rev. A.A. Crawford, the respected minister of the Killeshandra circuit.  The funeral on Monday, the 15th inst., to Carrigallen was a large and representative one, the chief mourners being John, Richard, and Robert Wilson (sons), John, Charles, and Richard Wilson (brothers), John, Charles, William (2) and Charles Wilson (Coromahon) (nephews), Mrs. Wilson (neice) &c. The Rev. A.A. Crawford conducted service at the house, and subsequently at the grave, where he delivered a most impressive address from the text “Oh, death where is thy sting?”

The obituary refers to Charles Wilson  (Coromahon) a nephew who attended the funeral, this is my grandfather - if anyone can help with any information I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Margaret

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
Margaret,  I am still trying to unravel my Wilson's in county Cavan. All I know is that the Wilson families held farmland under Sir John Young in the south east section of county Cavan in the late 1700's to mid 1800's. Common given names being John, William, Robert and Thomas.

I do know that William Wilson, born about 1792 and uncle to my John Wilson, left for Ontario Canada (about 1845 to 1850) with his large family of children and his wife being Esther Coote or Cooteville, Co. Cavan. The oldest daughter Anne Jane married Stewart Hooey of Cavan.  Other children named Matilda, John, Mary, William, Mathew, David, Thomas, Henry, Charles, Joseph, Sarah and Essy or Esther. The last few children were born in Ontario, Canada. The father and mother were still alive in 1860.

Also of interest are letters written between Anne Anderson...her married name and living in Kingscourt and Mt. Ida Dromore, County Down and our John Wilson living in Portland, Oregon USA. They were cousins but I don't know if she was a Wilson prior to marriage. Her daughter Jenny married a John Joseph Burnett. Also mentioned in one letter was the death of Rev. Winning and mentioned him  as advisor and benefactor of all who needed his counsel and assistance.

Also of interest and maybe some help....A letter to my John Wilson from his cousin Matilda in Ontario, Canada tells of the Wilson history. Perhaps this will ring true with what you have knowledge of:  "As to our origin, we are of Scottish descent and this is what my father heard from his father. When they came from Scotland they settled in County Longford. His Grandfather had three children all of which were drowned by falling into a well in his garden, after which he came to County Cavan and purchased a large tract of country, determined to leave the place of so much disaster and he was the first of that family that came to Co. Cavan and his name was John Wilson".

Sometime in the 1840's Sir William Young (Lord Lisgar) and son of Sir John Young mentioned above, built a fine stone schoolhouse in Bailieboro and my John Wilson went there for his education along with siblings, Robert, Thomas, William and Maria Jane.  Birth years were 1826,1828, 1830, 1832 and 1837 respectively. Mother to these Wilson children was Joice or Jocelyn Wynne of Tubberdoney, Co. Louth.

Margaret, I hope something in this post will connect. Let me know what more you have.  Thanks,   Marilyn

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 September 09 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your reply.
I am not making much headway on my Wilsons, the obituary I posted on this thread mentions John Wilson (possibly my great grandfather) and Charles (Coromahon) Wilson who was my grandfather.
I have recently been looking at the free 1901 Census for Ireland, there was a link posted on Rootschat saying that this site is available:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

I have managed to find my great grandfather John Wilson who was 60 on the census and and his wife Mary Jane (nee Haughton) who was 50 ,my grandfather Charles Haughton Wilson aged 26 living in Loughnafin/Rockfield in Co Cavan.  I have been told that John Wilson may have originally have come from Co Leitrum, but I am not sure about this. The family were farmers and also had a corn mill.
I don't know if there is any connection with your Wilsons.

Thanks

Margaret

Offline howelldavide

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 June 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
I have a William A Wilson as a gggrandfather who died in Belknap Township, Presque Isle County, Mich on 7 Jan 1908; his day of birth was given as 9 Mar 1839 (may have been 1838). His death certificate shows his parents as William Wilson and Ester Coutts. He was born in ireland and his father and mothers birthplace are listed as Scotland. 

I also have a Matthew Wilson that was born on 1 Oct 1830 in Ireland and his parents are given as Wm Wilson and Ester Coot. His date of death is 29 August 1911.  In the 1900 US census Matthew is shown as a brother to William residing together in Belknap Township, Presque Isle, Michigan. The information for Matthew was provided by Mrs. Bertha Heslip.

Matthew Heslip married a Serenna Albertha Wilson on 02 Sept  1884 in Belknap Twp, Presque Isle, Michigan. Her parents were William A Wilson and Matilda Wilson.  Matthew deceased in 1927 and Bertha years latter.  I have little information of the Heslip line and am looking for more.

According to the death certificate of Charles James  Wilson (DOB April 1878 in Canada; DOD 24 Nov  1902 in Michigan) his parents were Willaim A Wilson(Ireland) and Matilda Rankins (Canada) not sure about spelling of last name).

My grandmother was Rilla Perl Heslip who deceased in a train bus accident (20 Dec 1927) shortly after the birth of my father Byron George Howell .

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 June 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you for the information on the Wilson's.  This is the right family, however, William and Esther Coots Wilson were both born in Cavan Co. Ireland. I am not at home where my records are, but when I return I will email you again. The best you can, give me your descent down to William and Esther. I will try to fill in the pieces when I return home.  Thanks,  Marilyn

Offline johnbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 October 10 02:03 GMT (UK) »
I have double Wilson ancestors from County Cavan.  John Wilson the son of William Wilson and Mary Elizabeth Long of County Cavan Ireland, married Eliza Wilson the daughter of James Wilson and (probably?) Jane Ney, of County Cavan Ireland, in Cartwright or Darlington Township Ontario Canada, about 1853? These Wilsons from County Cavan probably lived on the Hodson, Skeagh Estate, (probably Lisdonan, Cappy, or Drumbar Townlands. The Wilsons farmed in Cartwright and Tay Townships in Ontario, Canada

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 November 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Sure wish I could connect to one of these families. What part of Cavan County Ireland were your families from? Thanks,  Marilyn