Author Topic: Wilson's in County Cavan  (Read 45059 times)

Offline johnbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in County Cavan
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 19 October 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
To "alfredsdad" (reply # 18), I would like to exchange Wilson information with you or your cousins. I have been researching several Wilson families in the Cappy/Cappogh, Lisdonan, and Drumbar area of Cavan. There were several Wilson families in this area. I am sure they are all related, but am not sure just how they are connected.   

Offline stanley79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 05 June 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
hi all,
any info on elizeabth thompson

Offline stanley79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in drumbar County Cavan
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
hi looking for any information on james wilson married phebe beattie /porter in knockbride c of i on 11 sept 1862 father william wilson

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
The Wilson's who settled into Ontario - specifically Carlton and Stanley's Corners Ontario (outside of Ottawa) are my family.  I have a lot of records of the Argue family and the Wilson's.  Most are buried in the Stittsville Methodist Church.  The tombstones are very well preserved.  I am really interested in finding out more - the records indicate strongly (including a notation on the tombstone) that they were from County Cavan.  The trouble is, they married a lot of second cousins too so it is difficult to sort them all out.

Hi to all the Wilson descendants,

I am also attached to the Wilson families of County Cavan in Ireland. On the various Irish sites and also on the films of the BDM registers there are several Wilson/Middleton marriages but I haven't untangled how yet.

My grandfather was John James Wilson Hogg Middleton. I remember him saying the Wilson & the Hogg were family names and that is why he had them attached to his name. He was born in Corraghy, Shercock, Co Cavan 1878. The Birhts etc all registered in Bailieborough.

The connection to Ontario is very close to County Cavan as John Hu(e)ston of County Cavan was sent to Ontario to start settlements there from Ireland and one of his addresses was in Cavan, Ontario. He left Ireland about 1810 with his wife Martha (nee Middleton). Other names who are all intermarried who went to Ontario from 1810 to 1880s were Argues, Mahoods, Bradleys. Several pieces of his inward correspondence are in the Trent University Archives. Have alook in case there are some from the Wilson family.

Sir John Young was also the landlord for the Middletons land. They were on the townland of Corraghy. The names in my grandfathers family of Middleton were Roberts, Johns, James, Williams, Thomases, Janes, Anns, Marthas, and they go through both the Middletons and the Wilsons on my lot for several generations.

Several of the family names are on the Griffiths Valuation Records. It is worth getting even just a one month subscription to the Origins genealogy website for Ireland.

Another valuable site I have found which is free to search is http://www.irelandoldnews.com/ On this you can click a county or just put in a name. I have found a marriage notice for William Middleton's (bn circa 1780) daughter Ann in 1859 just yesterday. You do have to take quite a bit of time scrolling and the names you want aren't highlighted but are in bold although a few have snuck through. I found in 1844 where William Middleton was on a voters list but had to scroll through several times before I finally found the name.

Regards, Patricia

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 July 16 12:53 BST (UK) »
I would love to hear from anyone with Wilson ancestors from Cavan who has done an ancestry DNA test. I have recently done an ancestry DNA test and would like to see if we have matched. Thanks.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I too am looking for Wilsons in the Co Cavan area, my grandfather Charles Haughton Wilson b 1883 was a farmer in Killeshandra, although I think he came from Cessagh/Corradarren - I think!
 I have other postings on the Cavan board asking for information on the Wilson family if you want to take a look to see if there is any common information.
I was sent a copy of an old obituary newspaper cutting which isn't dated but it mentions  several Wilsons on it. I will have to dig it out. Any information that you can share would be really useful.

Thanks

Margaret
"...... think he came from Cessagh/Corradarren ....."

Possibly Cessiaugh??

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/leitrim/photos/tombstones/leitrim-carrigallen-coi/target91.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 November 16 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Dave,

What a star you are!
Thanks for this link, looks like you have been very busy on the photography, fantastic images.
As it happens this is not the grave of Charles Haughton Wilson, but it is a relative. Cessagh, Corradarren are all places where there were farms/ corn mills belonging to Charles Haughton  Wilson (my grandfather).
Charles Haughton  Wilson and his wife Eliza are buried in Croghan are buried in an unmarked grave, next to a tomb of Charles Haughton (married to Elizabeth Arnold), which you have very kindly already photographed the tomb. Charles Haughton was my great, great grandfather.
The other Wilson graves that you have photographed in Leitrum are all names I recognised are likely to be my relatives as my mother always said there were many Wilson relatives there. Earlier in the posting a newspaper cutting is mentioned by me which mentions a funeral with Wilson attendees from Gulladuff. It looks like the followers that attended are buried here too.
Thanks very much for this fantastic piece of information.

Your photographic skills are great, thanks again.

Margaret  :) :)
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 November 16 09:16 GMT (UK) »
No problem!

There are more in pipeline and will be on IGP soon...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 08 April 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Has anyone on this forum been able to make some connections between the WILSON lines mentioned on the forum?
I am still looking for further information on my William WILSON of Drumacarrow townland in Baillieborough.
Katharine.