Author Topic: Wilson's in County Cavan  (Read 45172 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for Wilson"s Beglieve county cavan
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 17 February 19 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Family Search has their marriage cert transcribed
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGV8-6GSG
You have to sign up, (free)
Father's John Wilson and Wm Wade
They married in Knockbride
22Dec 1864

Irish Genealogy will have the full cert online at some point or you can order a photocopy for €4
The registration district is Bailieborough
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do
You have to prove your not a robot and sign in but also free

Offline bdfbdf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in County Cavan
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 19 October 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm related to the William Wilson/Esther Coote family that left County Cavan around 1840-1850 for Ontario.  Marilyn (caswellm) described them in the first couple posts on this thread.  I can find some family trees that correspond to this information on Ancestry.com, but as happens frequently, these don't have much in the way of pre-1860 Ireland sources attached.

Since the critical events in Ireland happened before the start of civil registration, I'm having difficulty finding any sources.  I found an entry in Griffith's valuation that corresponds to the hints given by Marilyn, but since I believe that is from 1856, it is probably a different William Wilson than mine (although I believe related).  I also found some valuation office books dated 1838 at census.nationalarchives.ie that probably correspond to my Wilson's. 

The above 2 sources indicate that my Wilson's probably lived in BAILIEBOROUGH parish, Corkish townland, although I don't feel I have proven that.

My questions are:
(1) Any advice on gathering source material for this?  I'm guessing church records are the best bet, but few of those seem to be online.  I am not even certain what religion they were, although a grandson's marriage was Presbyterian.  A physical trip to Ireland is unlikely for me.

(2) Somebody has clearly done some genealogy work on this family.  Any thoughts on where I could look to find it?  Of course, I'm hoping Marilyn comes back to this forum and can provide some details.  Or maybe somebody here already corresponded with caswellm and can help me?  I know there are other places that people deposit there genealogy work besides ancestry.com, such as familysearch or wikitree, but I haven't been able to find anything with sources.

Thanks for any help, and as far as I understand these boards, I can't read or send PMs yet,

Brent

Offline Mary-Ann Laidlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, In reply to Tracey Clarke's reply #21: My G. Grandmother Matilda Wilson (aged approx. 14 years), of Millmount, County Cavan, Ireland, and her sister Annie emigrated to New Zealand in 1875. According to the marriage record of Matilda to George Edwards (G. Grandfather), her parents were: Hugh Wilson and Susan Kane. I found the marriage details of Margaret Anne Wilson and Joseph Ross on Family Search.com but have found no mention of Matilda or Annie. One of Matilda and George's sons was named George Hamilton Edwards.

Mary-Ann Laidlaw

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thats great news. Interestingly Joseph Ross and Margaret Wilson named one of their daughters Matilda. Known as Tilly.

Offline tracey clarke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 13:29 BST (UK) »
If you want to do two more posts I would be able to send you an e-mail on what I know.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 14:06 BST (UK) »
I have finally had DNA tests done at both Ancestry and 23andMe.

Here’s my WikiTree link if you’d like to compare :)

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Dudgeon-166

Think this will be of interest to you.....

St Dympna' Church of Ireland, Ballinode, Co Monaghan.  Removed from old Church!

No problem posting photo as it is my Copyright!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mary-Ann Laidlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 26 October 19 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, further to Tracey Clarke's thread: Yes I did notice that one of Margaret's daughters was named Matilda.
Matilda and Annie Wilson were listed as single women on the passenger list of "Carrisbrooke Castle" from Belfast to NZ in 1875. It has occurred to me that they may have been servants to fellow passengers and their passages paid for by their employers. I don't know what happened to Annie after their arrival here. It was 5 1/2 years later that Matilda married George. Her age on the marriage certificate was 20 and her occupation was "Domestic Servant".

Mary-Ann Laidlaw

Offline Mary-Ann Laidlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 26 October 19 02:11 BST (UK) »
I've just had another look at the Carisbrooke Castle full passenger list as per the Auckland Star newspaper 8 Sep 1875 and now have to re-evaluate my conviction that Matilda and Annie were sisters. There was a family of Wilsons who were "Saloon Passengers": John and Elizabeth Wilson and four children. The Saloon Passenger Single women listed 5 Wilson girls/women: Annie, Mary J., Martha, Sarah M., and Amelia Wilson.

Matilda Wilson was included in the "Immigrants" single women list.

Mary-Ann Laidlaw

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 26 October 19 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm related to the William Wilson/Esther Coote family that left County Cavan around 1840-1850 for Ontario.  Marilyn (caswellm) described them in the first couple posts on this thread.  I can find some family trees that correspond to this information on Ancestry.com, but as happens frequently, these don't have much in the way of pre-1860 Ireland sources attached.

Since the critical events in Ireland happened before the start of civil registration, I'm having difficulty finding any sources.  I found an entry in Griffith's valuation that corresponds to the hints given by Marilyn, but since I believe that is from 1856, it is probably a different William Wilson than mine (although I believe related).  I also found some valuation office books dated 1838 at census.nationalarchives.ie that probably correspond to my Wilson's. 

The above 2 sources indicate that my Wilson's probably lived in BAILIEBOROUGH parish, Corkish townland, although I don't feel I have proven that.

My questions are:
(1) Any advice on gathering source material for this?  I'm guessing church records are the best bet, but few of those seem to be online.  I am not even certain what religion they were, although a grandson's marriage was Presbyterian.  A physical trip to Ireland is unlikely for me.

(2) Somebody has clearly done some genealogy work on this family.  Any thoughts on where I could look to find it?  Of course, I'm hoping Marilyn comes back to this forum and can provide some details.  Or maybe somebody here already corresponded with caswellm and can help me?  I know there are other places that people deposit there genealogy work besides ancestry.com, such as familysearch or wikitree, but I haven't been able to find anything with sources.

Thanks for any help, and as far as I understand these boards, I can't read or send PMs yet,

Brent

Notes by Lorton Wilson on the families of Berry, Stirling, Bacon, Mc Morran, Wilson, Crowe, etc., of Derry, Down, Cavan, Monaghan, Offaly, etc., 16th to 20th c.

Belfast: Belfast Public Record Office, T.1021

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.