Author Topic: Wilson's in County Cavan  (Read 45166 times)

Offline johnbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson's in County Cavan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 November 10 22:55 GMT (UK) »
My Wilsons (both families) lived in Knockbride Parish, Clankee Barony and probably the townlands of Lisdonan Cappy and Drumbar (near Bailieborough). Some of the William Wilson and Mary (Long) Wilson family remained in Ireland, John and Jane went to Canada and Ann, Eliza, And William remained in Ireland. Ann and William had children who went to New Zealand and Australia.

Offline genewitch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi to all the Wilson descendants,

I am also attached to the Wilson families of County Cavan in Ireland. On the various Irish sites and also on the films of the BDM registers there are several Wilson/Middleton marriages but I haven't untangled how yet.

My grandfather was John James Wilson Hogg Middleton. I remember him saying the Wilson & the Hogg were family names and that is why he had them attached to his name. He was born in Corraghy, Shercock, Co Cavan 1878. The Birhts etc all registered in Bailieborough.

The connection to Ontario is very close to County Cavan as John Hu(e)ston of County Cavan was sent to Ontario to start settlements there from Ireland and one of his addresses was in Cavan, Ontario. He left Ireland about 1810 with his wife Martha (nee Middleton). Other names who are all intermarried who went to Ontario from 1810 to 1880s were Argues, Mahoods, Bradleys. Several pieces of his inward correspondence are in the Trent University Archives. Have alook in case there are some from the Wilson family.

Sir John Young was also the landlord for the Middletons land. They were on the townland of Corraghy. The names in my grandfathers family of Middleton were Roberts, Johns, James, Williams, Thomases, Janes, Anns, Marthas, and they go through both the Middletons and the Wilsons on my lot for several generations.

Several of the family names are on the Griffiths Valuation Records. It is worth getting even just a one month subscription to the Origins genealogy website for Ireland.

Another valuable site I have found which is free to search is http://www.irelandoldnews.com/ On this you can click a county or just put in a name. I have found a marriage notice for William Middleton's (bn circa 1780) daughter Ann in 1859 just yesterday. You do have to take quite a bit of time scrolling and the names you want aren't highlighted but are in bold although a few have snuck through. I found in 1844 where William Middleton was on a voters list but had to scroll through several times before I finally found the name.

Regards, Patricia

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Grriifits valuations, including maps are now free on:
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

PM

Offline Davidd76

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 September 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, My Ancestors also come from Cavan. Margaret Brogan married Robert Wilson and resided in abbey street Co Cavan. They are listed on the 1901 and 1911 census, and living in Abbey Street on both census records. On Roberts Marraige Certificate, his Father is listed as Patt Wilson. I would dealry love to know any information on my GG Grandfathers family. Any info would be a great help, as there is not a lot known about the family. My grandmothers Mother Mary Ellen McInerney Nee Wilson, died in 1924 and all of the family were split up.

Offline RobinB99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Australia | Nelson | Gore | Drabsch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Frances Wilson (married William Nelson in 1824) ws my Gr Gr Gr Gr Grandmother.
Her daughter Sarah May Nelson emmigrated to Australia in 1848 and had 9 children (image attached from NSW Births/Deaths/Marriges registry search results).

Moderator's Note: copyright cut & paste image removed. Please see NSW website to search for information;
(RobinB99: Sorry about that).
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

The nine children of Richard and Sarah Gore were named Richard, Teresa, Sarah E, William, Ralph, Elenor, Mary J, Martha A and Wilhelmina.
NELSON
WILSON
GORE
DRABSCH
CROUCH

Offline howelldavide

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 March 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
I see you are still using rootchat.  I don't know if you recall my last post to you, but I would like information about William Wilson and Esther Coote from Cavan. If you would like to contact me directly my e-mail is *

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 July 12 10:29 BST (UK) »
This is a copy of an obituary from a newspaper - unfortunately I do not have a date for this obituary-
MR. WILLIAM WILSON, GULLADUFF.  CO. LEITRIM.

The funeral on Monday, the 15th inst., to Carrigallen was a large and representative one, the chief mourners being John, Richard, and Robert Wilson (sons), John, Charles, and Richard Wilson (brothers), John, Charles, William (2) and Charles Wilson (Coromahon) (nephews), Mrs. Wilson (neice) &c. The Rev. A.A. Crawford conducted service at the house, and subsequently at the grave, where he delivered a most impressive address from the text “Oh, death where is thy sting?”

The obituary refers to Charles Wilson  (Coromahon) a nephew who attended the funeral, this is my grandfather - if anyone can help with any information I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Margaret

In order to source this newspaper article, please supply all of the information below in an email to localstudies'at'leitrimcoco.ie

Bib #: 245437
LDR:    00000nam 22000255 4500
1000:    $a newsNM
900:    $a Leitrim Advertiser
902:    $a 23 September 1886
903:    $a Mentioned in Article - Re: tail Cut off a Cow in his posession - (Owner William Wilson)
904:    0 $a WILSON ROBERT BROTHER OF WILLIAM
907:    $a 2 c4

==============================================

Bib #: 245424
LDR:    00000nam 22000255 4500
1000:    $a newsNM
900:    $a Leitrim Advertiser
902:    $a 04 September 1884
903:    $a At Carrigallen Petty Sessions William Wilson Jun v William Wilson Senior Re: trepass
904:    0 $a WILSON ROBERT
907:    $a 3 c6

==============================================
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 July 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I have just spotted this reply by accident, I still seem to be having problems with notifications even though they are set for this thread. There have been several other additions to this posting that I have been adding information too.
Will try and send an email to get more info on this newspaper article.

Thanks again

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 September 12 04:28 BST (UK) »
I also have relatives from Cavaan County Ireland.  John Wilson was born in 1793, Cavan Ireland and married Jane Ann Ferguson (1796-1873).  They settled in Stanley's Corners, Ontario.  He died 10 April 1861.  He had a son Archibald (1827-29 November 1899) born in Stanley's Corners and died in Goulbourn, Ontario.  He married Mary Ann Argue 28 Dec 1847.  They had issue: James (1848), Thomas Westly (1850), John (1852) ann Jane (1854), Mary Elizabeth (1861), William George (1864-1941) and Archibald (1868-1941).

They are all buried in Stittsville, Ontario.

Unfortunately, this is as far back as I have been able to go - any assistance would be a huge help.

Scott