Author Topic: CROFT Family of Brightling  (Read 9853 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CROFT Family of Brightling
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 June 09 20:19 BST (UK) »
The marriage of John and Sarah from the SMI

John Croft and Sarah Adams at Mayfield (not far away)
14 June 1808 both of this parish by banns

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 June 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
I took a wild guess to see if I could find any children that might have been born between 1808 (marriage and James 1811) and found one on Ancestry

John baptised on 15 October 1809 to John and Sarah Croft at Brightling

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 June 09 20:26 BST (UK) »
Lastly I checked the findmypast burial records for the first Thomas and came up with this

Thomas Croft buried at Brightling on 14 April 1814 3 months but that doesn't fit with the date of his baptism in August 1814.  Hmmm either one or the other must have got the transcription wrong!

Kerry

Offline rwickins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 June 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
Kerry -

Wow, so many children for John and Sarah! How exciting. I know I won't be able to resist trying to track them all, but I will be blissfully busy as I do so. :D

I am so glad to see that there was also a Charles born to John and Sarah, as there was a Charles living with James in 1841 and I was hoping that they were indeed brothers.

You have helped so much, it is very kind. Thank you for all of your help!!

Rachel
Croft of Brightling, Sussex; Wickens, Wickins, Wickings of Ashton, Roade, and Hartwell, Northamptonshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 June 09 20:34 BST (UK) »
That's a pleasure, a nice search whilst there is nothing on TV worth watching.

If you ever get the chance to get to Sussex Brightling Church is well worth a visit.  I would say the village but there is not much else apart from the church.  Mad Jack Fuller lived there and is reputedly buried in a large pyramid in the churchyard.  I pass the church frequently on my way to work!

Kerry

Offline PorterzPennellz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 April 10 09:17 BST (UK) »
The house James and Hannah Croft and family lived in still exists.  It's in the Robertsbridge part of Brightling.  The modern day address of the building is very similar to what it was when the family lived there from at least 1841 well into the 20th century: "1 Longhouses, Brightling, Robertsbridge, TN32 5HT." You can get a great street view of it on G**gl*maps. 

Re: the Crofts being a long line of brickbuilders: Although the censuses take you back only as far as 1841, I have long suspected that James Croft's father worked for Mad Jack Fuller on the follies. Longhouses was originally part of Rose Hill, Mad Jack Fuller's estate (later Brightling Park).  Recently I found proof online that James Croft's descendants, including members of your family, did work on the follies for the Fuller family, at least in maintaining them.  In 1985, extensive renovations were needed to stabilize Brightling Needle, one of the follies.  At that time, the renovators found 100-year-old grafitti!! etched into the structure by the Crofts, who had made brick repairs to the Needle in the late 1800s:  One of them was by 16-year old Charles Croft, (son of your Robert Croft), in 1889.  The other was "R. Croft"--possibly your ancestor Robert himself? ten years later, in 1899.
Your ancestor Hannah Porter's father Edward remarried and moved to Vermont, USA.  Would love to compare notes with you about the Crofts and Porters.  Our family has a letter sent by Hannah Porter Croft and her daughter-in-law Sophy Croft (Tom Croft's wife).

Porter, Pennells, Croft, Easton, Ashdown, Harmer, Epthen/Ebden/Epten/Upton (East Sussex)
Stephenson, Young, Knowles, Lambert, Scott, Stead, Loftstadt, Humble, Rose (Newcastle, South Shields, Tynemouth)

Offline bigjim100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 January 13 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate some help with my Croft family.

Could someone please lookup a baptism of James Croft, born ~1812 in or around Brightling, Sussex. I am also looking for James Croft’s marriage to a Hannah happening around 1834 in Brightling, Sussex.

James Croft and wife, Hannah, were parents to my Robert Croft (b. ~1851 Brightling, Sussex, d. 1921 Brightling, Sussex). Robert Croft married Harriet Parsons around 1871 in Brightling, and later welcomed a daughter, Violet Mary Croft. Violet Mary Croft (b. 1883 Brightling, Sussex; d. 1940 Rochester, NY) is my Great-Grandmother. If anyone is related to or has information on this branch of Brightling, Sussex Crofts, I would love to speak about them with you. I am just starting my research on the Crofts, as well as learning my way through the Brightling area.

Thank you all for any help you can provide,

Rachel

Offline bigjim100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 January 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate some help with my Croft family.

Could someone please lookup a baptism of James Croft, born ~1812 in or around Brightling, Sussex. I am also looking for James Croft’s marriage to a Hannah happening around 1834 in Brightling, Sussex.

James Croft and wife, Hannah, were parents to my Robert Croft (b. ~1851 Brightling, Sussex, d. 1921 Brightling, Sussex). Robert Croft married Harriet Parsons around 1871 in Brightling, and later welcomed a daughter, Violet Mary Croft. Violet Mary Croft (b. 1883 Brightling, Sussex; d. 1940 Rochester, NY) is my Great-Grandmother. If anyone is related to or has information on this branch of Brightling, Sussex Crofts, I would love to speak about them with you. I am just starting my research on the Crofts, as well as learning my way through the Brightling area.

Thank you all for any help you can provide,

Rachel
I have information on the croft family. I am Kenneth Croft and I'm related to you as Robert
James Croft Is My Great grandfather. I just found this site and found your profile. If you find this reply i would like to get back with you.    Ken.

if

Offline bcroft

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 December 16 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachel-- We just started a FB group today, about the descendants of John Croft, who was born in 1740 and married to Ann Buss. Sounds like we may be looking for info about some of the same people. I'm based in the US, and many of the others in the group are from Canada. Nice to meet you!

Brian

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1265816293486298/