Author Topic: Sheil /Old Fort Rosslare  (Read 8687 times)

Offline McMurphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheil /Old Fort Rosslare
« on: Monday 29 June 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information about the Sheil family who lived on Rosslare Fort.I have a lot of information from the census but would like to know where thay came from before they lived on the fort.

Offline Paul Peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sheil /Old Fort Rosslare
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 July 09 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am originally from Rosslare Harbour where many people moved to when the old fort in Rosslare strand was washed away, There are a family of Shiel who live in Ailsa Lodge Rosslare Harbour a large guest house, I remember hearing once that their family came from Old Fort, you might want to contact them.

Paul
Family Names
Butler of  Dungarvan
Donoghue or O'Donoghue or Donohoe of Abbeyside
Hufsham, Hursum or Horsom of Dungarvan
Whelan of Abbeyside Dungarvan
Flynn of Dungarvan
Drohan of Carrick on Suir or Clonmel
Daniel of Carrick on Suir
Kirwin of Kilrossanty Waterford
Hogan of Kilmacthomas Waterford

Offline SRJaggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi There

My G G Grandparents lived on the Fort.  my gg Grandfather was Patrick Cogley and he married Ellen Shiel they had 4 children Aidan Christopher Patrick (Paddy) and Ellen, when they left The Fort the family moved to School Street Wexford Town.

I have a photo of William Shiel when he was a crew member of the Rosslare Fort Lifeboat
from the Duncannon Fort Museum.

If you think there may be a connection let me know
Regards Sue Jagger.

Offline McMurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, thank you for your reply to my post.Im actually a Sheil myself origionally from Rosslare Harbour.My sisters are trying to put together the family tree.Your photo of William Sheil would be of great interest to us.My sisters have gathered quite a bit of information and would be happy to share it with you if it would be of any interest.Attached is a photograph of my great grandparents Edward and Anastacia Sheil

Offline Beni

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 12 11:25 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather William (Bill) Sheil  (or Sheill) was born in 1888 in Rosslare Fort, Rosslare, Co Wexford. For a few years he lived in Grimsby (1918 to 1920 approximately). He had relatives there, Edward Sheil and Christina Sheil, possibly first cousins which I have only recently heard about ond of whom I have no other details. William was married to Margaret (Maggie) Bellamy and they lived at 28 Yarbourgh Street and may have had either a small carpentry or transport business.

Ellen Sheil is a 2nd great grand aunt of mine.

Offline lifestorymaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Would anybody kindly happen to know of a Jones (John and Kathleen (O'Brien) Jones) family that lived at Ailsa Lodge during the 1930s?

Thanks!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline lifestorymaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 January 19 14:05 GMT (UK) »
dathai, thank you so so much for that record. Unfortunately, it is a different John Jones and Kathleen O'Brien...can you believe it! Such common names are making my search very difficult. Our John and Kathleen were married in 1915 in parish Kiltoom, diocese Elphin, Roscommon. John's dad is named William and Kathleen's father is Richard J. O'Brien.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 January 19 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking at old newspapers I can see the following names associated with Ailsa Lodge Rosslare Harbour
Allen pre 1925
O'Cochlain 1950
The Commissioners of Public Works 1967
Sheil 1970
No Jones
However if I change the search to Jones and Rosslare Harbour I get
1934 Mr J Jones has been appointed Surveyor of Customs and Excise Rosslare Harbour, he has come from Dublin
Feb 1935
Liam Maher was sentenced for sending a threating letter to Mrs K Jones Rosslare Harbour while she was living in Tivoli Terrace Dun Laoghaire.
The previous June men called to her house and demanded a blue shirt belonging to her son, he was a member of the Blueshirts.
At an id parade she picked out one of the men, afterwards she received a letter claiming to be from the IRA threating to kill her son Richard if she identified any man.