Author Topic: A little french mystery: DUPEYRON  (Read 6785 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A little french mystery: DUPEYRON
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 21:18 BST (UK) »
I had a little look myself-- I can only see Marie Catherine Le Mee and her brother Eugene who was born in 1874 in Lantic - at the time of his birth father Eugene was absent-- travelling looking for work?

Aha! Look at the 1903 marriage of Eugenie (aged 30), daughter of Eugene Marie Le Mee, resident Guernsey, and the late Marie Francoise Mace.  It gives a birthdate for her in 1872 but not in Lantic-- in Allineuc, a little ways south of Lantic.

There are some missing death records but it appears the son b. 1874 and wife Marie Francois Mace (you will find her in death indexes under her maiden name, as was standard), in 1889 and 1888 respectively (in Lantic).

Also in Lantic in 1888, Eugenie who married in 1903 had an illegitimate son, Pierre. It seems that the family did move around some, so you'll also have to look in Allineuc (and perhaps try and work out which of the larger towns in the area they might have gone to, say 1889-1890ish.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 23:15 BST (UK) »

there is a story of people from Jersey/Guernesey coming in mainland brittany to sale from town to town shallots they were producing in the island.. I can't remember the name will search for

What was the profession of your ancestors ... is it on the birth records ???

Re- your ancestors moving to Jersey /england .. there was lot of political trouble at this time in france ... maybe the reason why  ??? (proscrits)
GILLIES (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
MACRAE (ROC/Duirinish, Lochalsh/..);   
MCKENZIE (ROC/Applecross (Milton)/..);   
MCLENNAN  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MCLEOD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MOFFAT CUL/Alston, Penrith/..);
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)
McPike (Melbourne, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Derry)

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 23:23 BST (UK) »
Furthermore

if you searching in GERS departement (where is located the town of Condom)

your might have a look at the County archives :
http://seldefrance.chez.com/genealog/RechAD32.htm

in this website (sorry it's in french) they state what the archives hold ....
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 July 09 01:02 BST (UK) »
in Allineuc, the Le Mee siblings (father Eugene is listed as labourer, sometimes listed as Eugene Marie or Eugene Marie Louis):
Marie Francoise, 9 Sep 1866 (she may be the one who had an illegitimate daughter in Lantic, Jeanne Leonie b. 1887)
Eugene Marie, 27 Jan 1868
Anne Marie, 29 May 1869
Marie Aimee, 15 Dec 1870
Eugenie Mathurine-- b. 2 Jun 1872, mention made in marginal notes of her marriage and her death in 1945 in "Etables", probably nearby Étables-sur-Mer.

Offline Lin Up a Tree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 July 09 01:18 BST (UK) »
You girls are so kind and helpful, you're actually bringing a tear to my eye.

Gwenn --

In Guernsey, Eugene LE MEE was a "Farmer", "Fruit Grower" and a "Gardener" (my dad said he remembers being told it was like a market gardener). His grandson (Maurice Fernand Eugene "Frank" DUPEYRON) grew up with Eugene in Guernsey & appears to have helped him out.

Frank DUPEYRON then came to Australia by himself in 1912 as occ: Farmer (that's where I come from) & although he lived in the city suburbs and did a wide range of labouring jobs here, dad said he continued to grow his own fruit & veg at home.

That's a great piece of information re: the shallots story -- it seems very possible to me that Eugene did something like that, if not exactly that!  And also the political trouble in France you mentioned; another excellent possibility -- I'll be keeping that in mind now too as I'm searching.

re: the GERS departement search -
Oh my word, that's awesome!! I have to go to work in a sec & can't wait to have a look at that link & website tonight!!

Jorose --

You are a super detective!! I can't believe how much you've already found. Just about everything you've written I had absoutely no idea about.

All Eugene's children, I had no idea; apart from Marie Catherine, I did come across Eugene (1874) in an index before & thought it was odd that there was a decade in between the 2 children.  Now you've solved that mystery & have given me even more to work with!!

And knowing about Allineuc, the birth & death dates, all this new stuff -- this is all so wonderful.

I can't wait to finish work tonight and continue immersing myself in all of this!!
HELLIWELL (Sowerby/Bradford WRY, Wellington NZ, Sydney AU)
>> also West Yorkshire: PARKINSON, RICHARDSON, RAISTRICK,
ACKROYD, BERRY, BREARLEY, BELLHOUSE, DODGSON, BRAYSHAW,
WALTON, MITCHELL, PICKLES, ASHLEY

MARSHALL (Jersey CI, Middlesex, Sydney AU)
BILLINGS / BLACK / SHEPPARD (Essex, Middlesex)

CODDINGTON (Lincolnshire, NSW Australia)

HOWE / HOLMES / BATTERSHILL / KIRTON (Devon)

DUPEYRON / LE MÉE (France, Guernsey CI)
DUFAU / DUBRANA (France)

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 01:12 BST (UK) »
I found a Eugène Le Mée on the electoral roll 1891  for the town of Nantes (?) Loire Inférieure (I need to search what is the current name of this french county)
Born 3 june 1849 .
Living in Péage (?)Ste Croix ... ????
Profession : arquebusier

Note sure if it's related to your search but I post it in case of
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   

Offline Lin Up a Tree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwenn!  ;D

I found out through the Lantic parish records that my ancestor Eugene Le Mee was born 29 July 1837, and in 1891 I know he was living in Guernsey.

He would have been 12 when this Eugene was born so not a son either... but it's such an uncommon name though, it would be likely to be a relative of some type i think..?

Thank you so much for posting this as a note, everything helps! You just never know what bit will end up helping in the end.

DUFAU / DUBRANA (France)

Offline Lin Up a Tree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 August 09 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hello girls! :*)

I just wanted to let you know that I've found some new information re: the mysterious ancestry of my gx2-Grandfather, Louis DUPEYRON.

Got a very kind email from La Société Guernesiaise who, although said they had little information on the Dupeyrons, confirmed firstly that Louis' birthplace was Condom, Gers. 

They also revealed that that Louis & his wife arrived in Guernsey 4th August 1890, and that Louis' last residence was "Camp des Chênes, department D'Algerie" - astonishing!

And in amazing fortune, I followed that lead & found that the French Algerian BDM records have been only recently put online. It was there that I found the marriage on 23 May 1889 of Louis DUPEYRON and Marie Catherine LE MÉE.

Through that I now have more pieces to the puzzle of Louis' ancestry. His parents were both present at the marriage & also living in Algeria (both occupation "independent".) So it seems they emigrated there from France but not sure when.

His mother was Marie Caroline DUPEYRON née DUFAU, and I found her death certificate sadly in the same year in Algeria -- she died 11 Sep 1889; and through that I see she was also born c. 1831/32 in Condom, Gers, France. (Her parents were Joseph DUFAU and Elisabeth DUBRANA).

These certificates also show Louis' father was Justin DUPEYRON, born c. 1821/22. His birthplace wasn't stated anywhere (although he must have been in Condom at least in the 1860s if not born there) & he didn't die in Algeria, and didn't go to Guernsey, so I don't know his ancestry or what happened to him.

There are no records online for Condom/Gers dept 32, and I have tried contacting the Condom archives & mairie with no response so far, and there doesn't seem to be any mention of Justin Dupeyron anywhere else. So if anyone has any ideas or info about the continued ancestry of Louis (and Justin) DUPEYRON, I'd love to hear from you :*)

Thank you so much for helping me to get this far.

:) L x

DUFAU / DUBRANA (France)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 August 09 03:09 BST (UK) »
I can't seem to get the French Algerian page to open records for me without crashing my browser, but have you looked at the other Dupeyrons in the Mustapha area where Louis and Mary Catherine married? There appear to be some children born in the later 1870s, early 1880s, and then a marriage of a Raymond Dupeyron in 1893 (he died 1895) and a couple of other deaths.

I suppose it's possible that Justin could have lived post-1904 (as far as they've put info up).

The Mairies don't tend to be particularly fast in getting back to you - for old fashioned postal mail it usually takes at least six weeks to get an answer.  Also it's August and half their staff at least are probably on holiday.

Interesting, though, how much they moved around! Was Eugene Le Mee also resident at the marriage?