Author Topic: Renwick+ Wheatley, Newcastle-upon Tyne  (Read 3343 times)

Offline polly garter

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Renwick+ Wheatley, Newcastle-upon Tyne
« on: Friday 30 April 04 15:43 BST (UK) »
Could any one help me with my Renwick and Wheatley ancestors?
James Renwick- (father-Richard Renwick, a chain maker) married Jane Wheatley-(father George Wheatley, a butcher) married at St Peter's Church, Newcastle Upon Tyne, in July 1854.  Both give their address as "Vine Lane" and their ages as "of full age".
I know that Jane Wheatley's mother was Margaret Wheatley, as she is found to be living with James and Jane in Lambeth in 1861- Margaret is described as a "widow" at this time.
I would love to hear from anyone researching these names, as we seem to have hit a brick wall with these family names.
Many Thanks
Sarah

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Re:Renwick+ Wheatley, Newcastle-upon Tyne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 04 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly Garter,

I am searching through the Chester-le-Street, Co Durham BDM transcripts of Mr H M Wood for my family records and I have noticed quite a few RENWICK and WHEATLEY events.

This is only 8 miles from Newcastle and I have rellies who lived in this area of Durham that married in Newcastle.

Could these people belong to you??

If you could send any details you have that occur between 1582 - 1827 for marriages or 1688 - 1812 for baptisms I can have a look around for you.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline polly garter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 04 12:12 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply and kind offer of assistance.
My Renwick and Wheatley branches, and the information I have, are extremely limited- which is why I have posted my information to the list, in the hope that these names will mean something to another researcher!  But, here's what I have, so far.
The marriage certificate states that both James Renwick and Jane Wheatley were "of full age" and residents of Fine/Vine Lane Newcastle-upon-Tyne at the time of their marriage in July 1854.  James's father was Richard Renwick, a chain maker by occupation. Jane's father was George Wheatley, a butcher.  I tried to find both of them in Newcastle in 1851 without any luck- also, a search of Trade Directories for the area failed to find George Wheatley.
In 1861, James and Jane are found to be living in Lambeth- Jane's mother, Margaret Wheatley, is found to be living with them, now a widow. (So, George Wheatley must have died between 1854-1861). From the ages on the census- James Renwick is 27, Jane is 24 and mother-in-law Margaret Wheatley is 61- James Renwick and mother-in-law, Margaret's place of birth is recorded as Gateshead, while Jane says that she was born in Newcasle- upon-Tyne.  
James Renwick died in 1897, in Southwark, age 64, which would make his birth around 1833.  Jane Renwick died in 1925, aged 86, therefore giving her birth to be around 1839...which doesn't fit really with her being of "full age" when she married in 1854.  We do know both of her parents names though- George and Margaret Wheatley, but don't know where or when they married, or any information about other children that they might have had- only a clue from an old photo which shows a picture of  a "Mrs Sidney/Sydney Wheatley"...but I don't know if this is a possible sibling of Jane's or not, as I have been unable to locate them on any earlier census's than 1861.
They disappear to France in the years 1871 and 1881, showing up again in London in 1891.
Hope you'll be able to make sense of this rather garbled message... any help you can give will be greatley appreciated!
Many thanks,
Polly

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 May 04 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly,

I have found a George WHEATLEY that could be yours, he was born 4th March 1812 & baptised 27th Dec 1812.

His father was George WHEATLEY of Chester, Cordwainer of ????ington?  {could be Washington}
His mother was Mary ARROWSMITH of ?????ington??{as before this could be Washington}

Now comes the hard part, my transcriptions finish in 1827 & from then to 1837 is what you probably need to obtain his marriage.

You say that you could'nt find George on the 1851 census & that in 1861 Margaret, Jane's mother resides with her.
The Free BDM gives a few possibles here
George WHEATLEY deaths of interest
Chester-le-Street=
Sept Qtr 1842
Sept Qtr 1843
March Qtr 1846

Gateshead= 6 miles from C.L.S.
Sept Qtr 1856
June Qtr 1858

One of these is more than likely yours.

This chaps father, George senior appears to have quite a few brothers or cousins in the area as there are about half a dozen weddings around the late 1700's & early 1800's dealing with WHEATLEY'S and then baptisms to match up with them.

As for RENWICK:
The only marriage I could find was Richard RENWICK married Mary CHALMERS at Ryton, Durham
2nd Oct 1825
This is about 10 miles from Chester-le-Street.

What I did find though was a lot of RENWICK connected with the Ryton area.

Sorry, I don't have any Ryton records, it may pay you to check Ryton films at your local LDS centre.

The RENWICKS on my files are about 100 years before yours, when you get back that far then maybe we can match them up.

Sorry, I wasn't able to be more helpful, but a look at the Chester-le=Street films up to 1837 should find your George Wheatley marriage.

Cheers
Geoff  
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline polly garter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 04 09:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Geoff for all your assistance- I shall follow up this information by looking at Ryton a little closer.
Thank you for all the information you found concerning George Wheatley- very interesting!
I shall keep in touch, Geoff- especially if we manage to get a little further back with this line.  You never know, we may find a connection one day!
Thank you so much.

Offline harle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Renwick+ Wheatley, Newcastle-upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 September 05 23:05 BST (UK) »
Could any one help me with my Renwick and Wheatley ancestors?
James Renwick- (father-Richard Renwick, a chain maker) married Jane Wheatley-(father George Wheatley, a butcher) married at St Peter's Church, Newcastle Upon Tyne, in July 1854.  Both give their address as "Vine Lane" and their ages as "of full age".
I know that Jane Wheatley's mother was Margaret Wheatley, as she is found to be living with James and Jane in Lambeth in 1861- Margaret is described as a "widow" at this time.
I would love to hear from anyone researching these names, as we seem to have hit a brick wall with these family names.
Many Thanks
Sarah

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 05 09:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a connection to Wheatley family who were butchers in Ashington and Bedlington in Northumberland.

The farthest back I went was to Robert Hedley Wheatley born Newcastle in 1832, one of his sons was called George Tweedy Wheatley.

As well as being a butcher he was also a Primitive Methodist lay preacher, so try looking for PM baptisms.

Let me know if you want more details
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline Wallace Hobson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Richard Renwick is in the 1841 census living in Gateshead with his 2nd wife and family, occupation chain maker. HE emigrated to Oslo Norway about 1842 and had more children, one of whom I am descended from. He helped to found the Jotul Engineering company and became a friend of the King.
His wife and family returned to live in Newcastle and appear in the 1861 census Some of them went to Canada and some became Marine Engineers.

Wallace Renwick (Hobson)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 December 20 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wallace

I've just found I'm related by marriage to Richard Renwick's daughter, Ann Arthur Renwick. She was born in Norway but returned to England before 1861 when she was 3 years old. She was named after her grandmother Ann Arthur who married Robert Renwick.

In 1895 she married a 1st cousin of mine Charles J Balfour in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Which Renwick are you descended from?

This Norwegian link is interesting :-)

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE