Author Topic: Blanchard surname middle name  (Read 7377 times)

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blanchard surname middle name
« on: Wednesday 01 July 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I started off wanting to find some information on Sarah Blanchard born 1836 who married Thomas Nendick in Yorkshire 1857.  Her mother was Eliza born in Butterwick (I think Sarah was also born in Butterwick)  In the 1871 census Eliza is a widow living with Thomas and Sarah (in Yorkshire)  I would really like to find out who Sarah's father was.  Charles (1875) son of Thomas & Sarah carries the name Blanchard. Charles BLANCHARD Nendick.
On the other side of the tree is the Hardy family.  In looking for Charles Hardy who is married to a Sarah - in 1901 census they are lodging with Emily Jane Curtis born in Lincolnshire - she has a daughter Gertrude Cooper (21) and son Charles BLANCHARD Curtis (18). 
Initially I thought I had two people with the first two names Charles Blanchard living under the same roof - but I was confused!!  The Charles I was thinking of was a Nendick not a Hardy!!  The Nendick & Hardy families do connect in the early 1920s in Yorkshire.
Anyway, could anyone tell me anything about the Blanchard family as the name seems to be carried on (even as a middle name) and who could be Sarah's father??

Many thanks,
Alchemyst

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blanchard surname middle name
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 10:01 BST (UK) »
Sarah was born in Butterwick, Yorkshire?  On the IGI there is a baptism 23 April 1837 at Butterwick by Great Driffield for Sarah  born to Eliza Blanchard (this ties in with her age being 23 in 1861).   No father named,   so unless Sarah knew who her father was and he is named on her marriage certificate it may not be possible to find him.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Galium,
Many thanks for your reply.  Now I am really confused!!!  Is Butterwick in Lincolnshire or Yorkshire????
Am I also wrong in assuming Eliza was married to a Mr Blanchard for her to be listed as a widow in 1871?   Great!  So now I can't even find Eliza without knowing if Blanchard is the name she was born with or her married name!  Do you have any suggestions as to where to go from here??
Thanks,
Alchemyst

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 11:32 BST (UK) »
There is a Butterwick in Lincolnshire - but the 1871 census details for Sarah and Eliza ditto Yorkshire as the county of their birth. Also, Butterwick in Yorkshire is in the same area as Weaverthorpe, where Thomas Nendick was born, and East Lutton, where Sarah and Thomas are living in 1861.

What I failed to notice earlier, is that Eliza Blanchard is listed as mother to head of household in 1871, which should mean that she is Thomas' mother, not Sarah's, but perhaps this is an error.   Do you have the marriage certificate for Thomas and Sarah?  If that shows Sarah's father's name it should put you on the right track.

I have tried to find Sarah and Eliza in 1841 and 1851, but there is no one obviously either of  these two.

Will keep looking.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
 RE CURTIS/BLANCHARD
 I have just started looking at this but next to the Curtis Family etc in 1901 are  William BLANCHARD and family, born same place in Lincs as Emily Jane CURTIS. I would say that it is Emilys maiden name and William is her brother.

OK what a scenario ;D

Marriage;
Emily Jane BLANCHARD
Joseph COOPER
June 1877
Sculcoates 9a 294
Remember unmarried daughter Gertrude is a Cooper

Marriage;
Emily Jane COOPER
Charles CURTIS
June 1889
Sculcoates 9a 336

So whose son is Charles?

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 15:00 BST (UK) »
The only birth registered for a Charles Blanchard Curtis is in Sculcoates June Q 1890.  So although his age in 1901 looks like 18, perhaps it should be 10.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
1891 Census
(Emily Indexed as Curtis and Blanchard)
53 Arundell St
Kingston upon Hull,Yorkshire  RG12/3925/9/12

Emily.J. CURTIS,39,head,widow,Lincs Thea?
Gertrude L Cooper,11,daug,scholar,Hull Yks
George W Custis(sic),17,son-in-law,saw mill lab,
Albert Custis,13,son-in-law,saw mill lab,Hull
Charles.B. Custis,11mths,son,Hull
Elizabeth BLANCHARD,67,Mother,widow,Lincs Why?
William CURTIS,29,brother-in-law,s,dock lab,Lincs Bonby?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
You are right Gallum :) I didnt even notice that whilst typing up :-[

1861 Emily Jane Blanchard is with parents William and Elizabeth and brother William and other siblings in Lincs

RG9/2387/36/6

Trish

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
1881 Census

108 Holderness Rd, Durham Terrace
Southcoates,Yorkshire
RG11/4756/49/23

Joseph COOPER,30,,head,mar,gen lab,Lincs Frisby
Emily.J.,29,wife,mar,Lincs THRINSCOE
Gertrude.L.,1,daug,unm, Hull Yks