Author Topic: WW1 lookup request de Ruigney  (Read 3677 times)

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
WW1 lookup request de Ruigney
« on: Wednesday 01 July 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to de Ruigney's book on soldiers who died in WW1 (I think that is how you spell it).

I am looking for Ellis Sard Moore who was in the Royal Field Artillery and died 25 July 1917 age 36.  I have his entry in CWGC site which was most useful and have found his grave on another site.
I believe he is mentioned in this other book/website and would like to know more about him and how he died.

He left a young wife Florence who died in Sept 1917 leaving four young children to be brought up by their grandparents.

Thanks

2shea
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 lookup request de Ruigney
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=142883

From his CWGC entry you also have his unit and they may well have a war diary at Kew which you can order a copy of the date he was killed it should give an indication of what was happening at the time.

http://www.findmypast.com/de-ruvignys-roll-search-start.action?product=DR

If anyone has Find My Past Subs its on here link above.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi 2shea

I note from the CWGC entry that Bdr Ellis Moore, 11087, was in 70th Battery attached to 34th Brigade.  There are some helpful suggestions for researching Artillery units in the thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,387134.msg2588872.html#msg2588872

All the best

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hello 2shea,

You have got your work cut out.  :D

34 Brigade war diary is at Kew in WO 95/1324, but unfortunately it only goes up to April 1917. The brigade became an Army Brigade at the beginning of 1917, but I have been unable to find who it was attached to. If you can find an order of battle for July 1917 or there-abouts, it may help locate it.

Two men from 70 Battery were killed in action on 25th July 1917; Ellis Moore and 2nd Lt. Alfred Slater Reynolds. There is a possible service record for Reynolds at Kew in WO 374/57018. If you can access that, you may glean more information.

Two other men died of wounds close to that date, Joseph Crookes on the 27th July and Edgar Domaille on the 30th. I can't find a surviving service record for either though.

The most likely scenario is that they were hit by German artillery. As far as I can see, there was no major action on that date.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
HI,,,HAD A LOOK AT THE ENTRY IN DE RUVIGNYS ROLL OF HONOUR,,,,,IT DOESNT MENTION ANYTHING THAT YOU DONT ALREADY KNOW.  REGARDS,,,MIKE.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD HIS MEDAL CARD FROM THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES FOR £2.00  .  IF YOU HAVENT ALREADY GOT IT.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 09 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the information.
I gather that there was heavy artillery action leading up to the Battle of Arras in August 1917 and my best guess was that Ellis had been killed while on the guns,
I have got his medal card but thought there may have been more on line.
The war diary is the next best way and will look at trying to get that information. War diaries wont mention his name.
I am interested Forester how you know that Ellis and Alfred were killed in action -  where did this information come from.  From the information, it would appear that their gun site was badly hit with 2 killed immediated and the other two dying of wounds.  I will look them up on CWGC to see if they were from the same area.
I have also tried the local Edmonton paper to see if Ellis had a mention but no luck there.

Thanks again - with Ellis's anniversary coming up, I get a bit more motivated to find out about him

2shea

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 09 11:02 BST (UK) »
2shea
Theres a database...Soldiers Died In Great War.If you have access t the disc you can search by date and unit for casualties so will be able to give a list of lads killed on the same day in certain units.
Great research tool in conjunction with CWGC and other stuff.

Ady

Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 09 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thnaks. thats another avenue of research

2shea